Best Long Range Option

mikegrundvig

10 mW
Hi all; I'm currently building the dead-sexy (at least I think so) Delta Wolf trike from Atomic Zombie. It looks like this in case you've not seen it:
deltawolf-lg.jpg

From my previous electric project, I have two 1000 watt Unite motors and controllers from TNCScooters as well as four 85 amp hour deep cycle batteries. For my previous project they were ideal and I'm actually very pleased with them. The weight is insane, but they are cheap and have a mind-blowing full replacement waranty so I'd like to keep using them.

I need to get a good mix of range and speed with my new trike. The trike weighs right around 50 pounds unloaded and will roll uphill if not careful. What would you guys suggest for getting the most range out of it? Should I use the unite motor(s) on the trike with a trailer for the batteries? Hub motor? Pusher trailer? I'm totally open to any options but I'd like to keep the cost reasonably which basically eliminates lipo/lifepo batteries. I do plan on pedaling a lot overall and not simply riding the motor constantly. I'd like a nice top-speed as well if that's possible. I don't have a specific range in mind, I want more along the lines of the maximum range with my current batteries or some alternative that wont bankrupt me. What do you guys think? Thanks much for the help!

Mike

most people use hub motors on this forum. Is your front wheel a 20" tire? If you are only going with 48v of batteries, why not go with a nine continent hub motor for the front wheel. What's wrong with your Unite motors? You didn't say.

You might want to consider this one http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-warrior

With just about any rear hub, with a 20ah ping pack, or 2 10'S or 2 15's, the same will work with a front hub too.

I think you'd like a tadpole design better though.

Combine the above with this one, http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-streetfox.htm, and you'll have a sweet trike.

Esp if your going to hit higher speeds, the tadpole (2 in front, 1 in back), will handle a lot better

20 ah of battery should take you 20-40++ miles, depending on throttle use and pedal assist.

The ready made pack of choice now is a ping pack

http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront

Granpa-Chas over at Visforvoltage said he was very happy with his hill-climbing, top speed and range on his trike. He had a brushless 500W motor that he ran through a 3-speed hub as a jackshaft transmission, driving one of the rear wheels. Motor was wound for 24V from the factory and he used 36V.

It did not have hard accelleration, and he had to downshift on steep hills, but the motor never overheated.

That site is aswome.

Want battery space for range this certainly does the trick.

longranger-lg.jpg

Look mum no pedals.

The SLA's would limit your range somewhat.

If you could fill that space up with some lithium flat packs how far do you think this bike could go?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm set on building the Delta Wolf as I like the looks - I'll be done building the frame today actually. Due to large rear wheels, extra-wide hubs, and a super low center of gravity, it handles extremely well at speeds already so I think I should be fine there. To answer the questions:
Is your front wheel a 20" tire?
Yup.
What's wrong with your Unite motors?
Absolutely nothing, I like them a great deal. I was simply looking for other options for long range but have no problem using them if they make the most sense.
I'd like to use my existing batteries as they are cheap, reliable, and free to replace. This is why I'd rather not sink 400 bucks for a 20 AH pack when I have the 85 AH pack already available. Even with the Peukert Effect in full force, it's still something on the order of 50+ AH based on the drain rate. They are very heavy, but the rolling resistance is quite low so once they are moving they like to keep moving. I think this offsets some of the ineffeciencies their weight will bring - this is why I mentioned the trailer idea. With the said, would a nice brushless hub motor be the best choice for long range riding? Or should I wire up my Unite motors with a custom drive train? Thanks!

Mike

mikegrundvig said:
I'd like to use my existing batteries as they are cheap, reliable, and free to replace. This is why I'd rather not sink 400 bucks for a 20 AH pack when I have the 85 AH pack already available. Even with the Peukert Effect in full force, it's still something on the order of 50+ AH based on the drain rate. They are very heavy, but the rolling resistance is quite low so once they are moving they like to keep moving. I think this offsets some of the ineffeciencies their weight will bring - this is why I mentioned the trailer idea. With the said, would a nice brushless hub motor be the best choice for long range riding? Or should I wire up my Unite motors with a custom drive train? Thanks!

Depends on how big your hills are. If you have enough power to get up them at half your desired top speed, then a hub motor will be enough. With that weight of batteries, though, I would be thinking of going through gears. A heavy trike can climb real slow.

Back