Bicycle tires for eBikes - What do you recommend?

RWP

1 kW
Hey guys.

Been glued to the Death Race commentary!

What bicycle tires are you running that you think are relatively safe for an eBike? I think this is a very relevant and timely question because of the Death Race and because many of us are now in possession of bikes that go a bit faster than pedal bikes. ..edit..

I have Bontrager Hank tires 26x2.2 and a friend suggested that they might not be safe at speed. And as I recall they have a very thin side wall...

Some tires I have been looking at have dual ply - are these safer/stronger?
Some tires have a wire bead and others a fold-able bead - which is safer/stronger (I expect it's wire, but not sure)?

I have been looking at the following tires from Chainreactioncycles.com because of the way they display tires on line:
Maxxis High Roller DH Tyre – Dual Ply $47.20
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5846

Maxxis Hookworm Tyre – Dual Ply $47.20
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5847

Schwalbe Big Apple Tyre - Kevlar Guard 26x2.35
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24556

Continental Sport Contact Tyre From $27.16 – 26x1.6
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18829

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre - Smart Guard
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24542

And there are many more...

Anyone have a sense of the quality of CST tires?
CST makes Maxxis tires, and they sell the CST tire for about half the price.

What wheel tire combinations are you running for scooter tires? If I remember correctly 16" rims work with a Pirelli scooter tire ML 75?
Are there any appropriate scooter moto tires for 20" bicycle rims as 16" rims seem small to me?

Thanks,
Roy

Almost any tire works. What you have to worry about is if that tires is going to grab the asphalt like it should when cornering. How well does it perform in sand and gravel. Ive learned my lesson an never corner at high speed unless I know the road is clean and clear. Balloon tires seem to work great. They have a wide foot print and built in suspension to help smooth out bad roads. Tires that have tread partially up the side walls should work well also. If you roads are truely smooth and clear Maxxis has good hard tires that have excellent tread life.

I like my Big Apples, they grip the road so well that I just cannot make it skid on clean asphalt, no matter how hard I pull the brakes.

If you are serious about 50-MPH for any length of time, I recommend scooter tires. I haven't ever done that, but I read a lot, and thats what I'd try....

I realize that would require a change of the entire wheel system, but...just a thought. A mistake at 50-MPH is likely to "leave a mark".

edit: I agree with John in CR below, I should have said "moped", with a 16-inch tire minimum. And the motorcycle tire on a 20-inch bike rim is a great option.

16" Motorcycle tires fit 20" bicycle rims and are typically a higher profile tire, so you are probably looking at something like a 21" OD wheel. Bike tire sizes are listed by their OD while motorcycle tires are listed by their rim size like a car tire with profile height and width listed as part of the size. Bicycle tires are unrated and untested by anyone other than their manufacturer, so it's not conscionable to recommend one for 50mph. Plus they are ridiculously priced.

Scooter tires to me are those small fat tires with 10, 12 or 13" rims, so not appropriate for a bike other than maybe a hanebrink.

Another option might be a moped tire. Then you're looking at something a bit lighter weight, spokes that more easily fit bike hubs and lighter rims too, while still being DOT approved.

I have some motors with 14" spoked motorcycle rims, some with 17" moto rims, one with a 12" scooter rim, and one with a 13" scooter rim. The 13" is a 5" wide street tire that ends up about a 19" OD wheel. One of my 14's has a low profile road tire that ends up 18.5", and my daily rider has an on/off road tire that ends up a 20" OD. My 17's end up just under a 24" wheel with the tires I have. I also have a 16" rim and a 100mph rated Pirelli tire to go with it. I just haven't gotten around to sourcing the right size spokes to lace it up. That 16" tire has only a slightly larger OD than my 14" tire.

Moto tires are much tougher than any bike tire, no pinch flats or anything like that. I got a nail in one that just resulted in a slow lead just like with a car, but I was able to ride home without issue on a flat tire because that one has stiff enough sidewalls. Not only are they likely to be safer, but they're probably cheaper too, since the larcenous pricing of bike parts includes tires too.

The motorcycle tires on 20" rims at the Death race looked like just the ticket, But those were fitted to frames with quite a bit of custom work done. Ask Live for Physics and Thud about clearance issues they may have had.

Hookworms seemed to be the favorite tire of the fast half dozen riders at the DR. Paul won on em.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/maxxis-hookworm-26x25-tire

I can only talk about 26in tires, but I have experienced with alot of them at high speed.

In order of preference

On pavement: Maxxis Hookworm, Schwalbe Super Moto, Big Apple

On Dirt: Kenda Nevegal sticky, Maxxis Minion, Holly Roller

Speaking of Hookworms can somebody who runs these and has a caliper rule please measure max mounted width for me? I know it's supposed to be 2.5" but my clearance is tight so I would like to know the tire dimension from actual user of this tire.

TIA...

If you stay with bike tires Maxxis Hookworms are the shot IMO...

I don't think any bicycle should be doing 50mph for any length of time, i doubt many bicycles here could sustain that speed anyway.

kiM

Offroad bike?

Schwalbe Big Betty Evolution Heavy Duty
or Halo Ception
And offcourse the legendary Nokian gazzaloddi (out of production , i think..)

More popular for downhill racing is Maxxis highrollers and panaracer rainking , but the halo has heavier sidewalls , one of the betty versions too.

.manitu

I'm with AussieJester. My Maxxis Hookworms have done 40MPH for up to 10minutes straight no worries (don't get hot). I love their progressive/predictable cornering. Just don't race with them in the wet. Oh, and their not light either, but you expect that.

Hey guys. This is getting ridiculous.

Cheng Shin Rubber USA, Inc.
545 Old Peachtree Road
Suwanee, GA 30024, U.S.A.
Tel:1-800-462-9947
Fax:1-770-962-7705

AKA CST tires

Maxxis International - USA
545 Old Peachtree Road
Suwanee, GA 30024
USA
Tel: (800) 4-MAXXIS
Tel: (678) 407-6700
Fax: (770) 962-7705

Maxxis hook worm $50

Cst cyclops $15

These two tires are VERY similar. The cyclops is 2.4" and the hookworm is 2.5" The cyclops is made from the tooling used to make the previous version of the hookworm according the the LBS owner.
I have over 3000 miles on my first set. The tread has worn down, but they still run great!
With frugal love :mrgreen:,
aura

Why do you think the call it the "hookworm" ??
Might be because the tread looks like wormtracks in wood or something ??

The other one does look like a old maxxis tyre anyway , just dont recall the name ..

.manitu

Why do you think the call it the "hookworm" ??

Because the fancy tread hooks you into spend $70 more for a set of tires? I've never owned hookworms, so I can't compare them. The Cyclops are great though. The tread goes up the side wall and you can feel the extra traction when you pop a curb at an angle.

Hey, thanks guys!

I have a set of Hookworms (26x2.5) and CST Cyclops (26x2.4) on other bikes.
I wanted to put the Hookworms on the eBike but there was a clearance issue as they are just a tad wider than the Cyclops. I put the Cyclops tires on the eBike and it seems really fine. Put the Hookworms on my regular bike.

Most riding will be in the 20 to 35 range. ..edit..

Thinking about building a full suspension Kart track racing bike and will make sure I don't have a clearance issue with the Hookworms.

auraslip said:
These two tires are practically IDENTICAL. The cyclops is made from the tooling used to make the previous version of the hookworm according the the LBS owner.
The tooling has little interest, what it's made with is the important factor here. Plastic fills a mold for very cheap, and last very long too. I have a set of nylon Coyote tires here, that are many years of age and still have more thread after +6000 miles MTB riding, than the Minions that I rode 3 month last summer.

That is the beauty of tires: You can pay 10$ for a tire that last a lifetime, or 60$ for one that wears in a summer. Which one you'd want to race at high speed?

RWP said:
Hey, thanks guys!

I wanted to put the Hookworms on the eBike but there was a clearance issue as they are just a tad wider than the Cyclops. I put the Cyclops tires on the eBike and it seems really fine. Put the Hookworms on my regular bike.
Since you have both the Cyclops and Hookworms can you comment on the difference between them? I think I read somewhere about the cyclops having thinner sidewalls etc.
I run hookworms on my bikes and they aren't too expensive because they last for ages. Great for high speed cornering.

That is the beauty of tires: You can pay 10$ for a tire that last a lifetime, or 60$ for one that wears in a summer. Which one you'd want to race at high speed?

I dunnu... Is that a trick question? race slicks burn up pretty quick right?

At 3000 miles my Cyclops are getting slick. Although this front hub has a lot of torque and tends to spin on anything but dry pavement.

With regards to the original question - 16" automotive tires seem like a great idea. DOT rated for heat and speed, cheap, and have a huge amount of cushion. OTOH, they're very heavy, require re-building your wheelset, and the smaller wheel size will decrease top speed. I plan on using them on a higher speed bike. Like 45mph cruising. This bike does 35 cruising on the flats with no suspension, and I think the cyclops would do fine at 40mph. But only if you like dodging pot holes :)

BTW since you have both tires, how does the cyclops stack up to the hookworm?

Also I biffed on the price - hookworms are on amazon for $33...

auraslip said:
I dunnu... Is that a trick question? race slicks burn up pretty quick right?

Ideally, you want to do the race distance almost wearing a tire. ie: The softer gum that let you do the race, but would be too worn to start another turn. That is optimal performance logic, but choice of gum is not that wide in bicycle tires so, chose the softer gum that you can find and you'll have the best cornering speed.

Ricky_nz said:
RWP said:
Hey, thanks guys!

Since you have both the Cyclops and Hookworms can you comment on the difference between them? I think I read somewhere about the cyclops having thinner sidewalls etc.
I run hookworms on my bikes and they aren't too expensive because they last for ages. Great for high speed cornering.
The Hookworms do indeed have a thicker sidewalls.
ChainReactionCycles (not a plug though I have purchased from them and like them) has Hookworms with "dual ply" and single ply...anyone know the difference? The attachment is from the Maxxis Web site...no mention of number of plys.
Any info on wire bead vrs foldable?

Attachments

• Hookworm_Maxxix.com.png
    Hookworm_Maxxix.com.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,324
Dual ply = 2 sheets of radial fabric in the casing = thicker sidewalls.
It allso makes a tire about 100grams heavier.

Dual compound , on the other hand , is a tire wich is softer at the sides , than in the middle.
.manitu

I thought the Maxxis Hookworm stopped making Dual ply tires nowday. My LBS shop told me Maxxis company stopped making 2 ply tires. :?

@auraslip - Thanks for the info. Whenever my hookworm wore out and first thing I will get Cyclop cst tires for less price.

The Hookworm 26 X 2.5 always been, and still a 2 ply wire beaded tire. The #60 gum is soft but not extra soft (Sticky is #30-40). As far as I know, a 26 X 2.5 Sticky slick tire is not yet manufactured, and the Hookworm will be the best choice, until they make one softer big slick.

Does anyone know what the load bearing ratings are on the 24 x 2.5 hookworms compared to the 26 x 2.5 hookworms? It's easy to find load ratings on Schwalbe tires but not so easy on others. The highest 26" big apple load rating is 150 kg while the highest big apple 24" load rating is 10% less (essentially multiplicatively less) at 135 kg.

I seem to recall from reading that car wheel acceleration impact articles years ago that both acceleration and braking distance were adversely impacted either geometrically more or exponentially more by wheel weight the farther from the center of the rim the weight was placed. 105 gram lower weight and tighter wheel weight centering would seem to make the 10% lighter 24" hookworm a significantly quicker accelerator and quicker stopper than the 26".

How do you guys view these tradeoffs on a high speed ebike?

Back