Bike Friendly City?

http://www.independent.com/news/2016/sep/26/elderly-man-struck-big-pickup-while-cycling/ :cry:

Elderly Man Struck by Big Pickup While Cycling
Monday, September 26, 2016
By Indy Staff
[ORIGINAL STORY]
An elderly bicyclist suffered major injuries Friday morning when he was struck by a large pickup truck on Calle Real. The 88-year-old was riding his bicycle near San Mateo Avenue at 6:30 a.m. when the GMC 2500 veered off the road and into the bicycle lane. The driver, a 33-year-old Goleta man, told investigators he had taken his eyes off the road for a short time. The Sheriff’s Office said he was not arrested as drugs or alcohol “were not suspected of being a factor.” The older man was taken to the hospital, and details on his condition were not available. This story will be updated as new information comes in.

[UPDATE: Sept. 26, 3:30 p.m.] Roman Paredes, 88, was riding a three-wheeled bike on his usual morning ride Friday morning when Daniel Gruetzmacher hit him with his truck while driving to work. Paredes was taken off life support on Saturday and died. The Sheriff’s Major Accident Response Team is examining the accident and has so far determined cell phone use is not a factor. The investigation results will go to the District Attorney’s Office to see if misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter charges are appropriate.

The fingers said:
http://www.independent.com/news/2016/sep/26/elderly-man-struck-big-pickup-while-cycling/ :cry:

Elderly Man Struck by Big Pickup While Cycling
Monday, September 26, 2016
By Indy Staff
[ORIGINAL STORY]…
The Sheriff’s Office said he was not arrested as drugs or alcohol “were not suspected of being a factor.” …
Taking your eyes off the road for long enough to kill a fellow road user is OK, though. This is what's wrong with drivers' attitudes. They should be scared silly about the potentially deadly consequences of piloting multi-ton projectiles. Instead, they behave as if driving in a video game while sitting at home in their comfy-chairs.

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/11208646-74/smith-cases-judge :roll:
A Westmoreland County judge rejected a defense request to dismiss one of eight cases involving a Hempfield man who is in jail awaiting trial on accusations of obstructing traffic on county roadways while riding his bicycle.
On Monday, Judge Meagan Bilik-DeFazio ruled the evidence of actions the prosecution alleged about an incident in North Huntingdon was sufficient to have the case go to trial.
In a four-page order, the judge wrote the prosecution established its case against Smith, and “the commission of the crimes and that the accused is probably the perpetrator of those crimes.”

Smith, 57, was charged with reckless endangerment, obstructing traffic and other offenses for an incident on April 9, 2015. He is accused of endangering motorists as he rode his bicycle on Route 993 by traveling slower than the speed limit and preventing drivers from passing on a winding road.
The defense, as it has in the other cases against Smith that have been filed since 2012, contends he adhered to existing laws and that it was the motorists who failed to correctly interpret the rules of the road.
Bilik-DeFazio rejected the defense claims and said her ruling was in line with similar pretrial decisions rendered in the other cases pending against Smith.

Smith has been in and out of jail over the last year as he awaits his trials.
He was first jailed in July 2015 after he violated terms of his bond for continuing to be involved in incidents on local roadways as he rode his bicycle. Smith was released on bail earlier this year after he agreed to refrain from riding his bicycle during the prosecution of his criminal cases.
Earlier this month, Bilik-DeFazio revoked Smith's bond, saying he violated those terms after he admitted to taking several bike rides in August to exercise.
In addition to charges associated with bike riding, Smith is accused of threatening the staff at a district judge's office by taking a rock and knives into the office last year.
Jury selection for several of the cases against Smith is tentatively scheduled to begin Monday.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/traffic/2016/09/30/cyclist-killed-palm-springs-crash/91315876/ :cry:

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/coroner/press/

At 4:48 a.m., officers responded to East Ramon Road west of Paseo Dorotea, where a semi truck traveling eastbound had hit a bicyclist. Upon further investigation, authorities found that the bicyclist, traveling northbound, had attempted to cross the eastbound lanes of Ramon Road when the truck crashed into the cyclist.
The 49-year-old bicyclist, whose identity has yet to be released, died at the scene.
The driver of the truck was unhurt, remained at the scene and is cooperating fully with the investigation, according to police.

http://mynewsla.com/orange-county/2...ed-riding-in-path-of-motorist-in-yorba-linda/ :cry:
A 19-year-old bicyclist was struck and killed when he rode into the path of a motorist in Yorba Linda, authorities said Saturday.
The bicyclist was later identified as Placentia resident Jonathan Petsas, according to the coroner’s office. Petsas’ 20th birthday would have been Oct. 5.
Petsas was riding a red Timberline GT bicycle westbound on Imperial Highway, west of Esperanza Road when he rode across westbound traffic lanes a little after 10:10 p.m. Friday directly into the path of a 1998 Honda Civic, the California Highway Patrol reported.
Petsas was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver of the Honda, an 86-year-old resident of Yorba Linda, was not injured. Neither alcohol nor drugs appear to a factor in the crash.
The CHP’s Santa Ana office asked anyone who saw the crash to call them at (714) 567-6000.
—City News Service

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-modesto/bicyclist-hurt-in-modesto-crash/41912516 :cry:
MODESTO, Calif. (KCRA) —A bicyclist was killed in a crash Friday night on a Modesto street, police said.
The crash happened just before 10 p.m. in the 2000 block of W. Orangeburg Avenue.
Police closed down the road between Martin and Evergreen avenues as they investigated the scene.
The person was taken to a hospital with major injuries, but later died. The victim's identity has not been released.
No other information about the crash was released.

http://lbpost.com/news/2000009696-c...r-hit-and-run-collision-at-magnolia-and-ocean :x This from "bike friendly" Long Beach.

UPDATE: Motorist Arrested Following Hit-and-Run Crash that Injured Bicyclist
byAsia Morris, Stephanie Rivera & Keeley Smith  on October 03 2016 18:30 in News

UPDATE | Both the suspect and the victim of a hit-and-run crash were transported to local hospitals Monday afternoon after the motorist struck the bicyclist in downtown Long Beach, authorities said.
The incident occurred on Ocean Boulevard, just east of Magnolia Avenue at 3:15PM, according to Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) spokeswoman Marlene Arrona.
Witnesses said the bicyclist began crossing the street on the east side of Magnolia Avenue, from the south side of Ocean Boulevard to the north side, when the motorist ran a red light and struck him.
A female witness, who was walking behind the bicyclist, said she was able to step back and avoid the car but the bicyclist was not able to move out of the way in time.
“I saw the guy coming extra fast so I was able to back up, he couldn't, he was trying, but before you know it he just hit him,” the female witness said. “He was on top [of the car] and he flew up and fell back down on the hood and he rolled down here and [the suspect] somehow got him off."

After the victim fell off the hood of the car, the suspect ran over the victim’s foot and kept driving east on Ocean Boulevard, the witness said.
The motorist, who witnesses said was driving erratically, continued traveling down Ocean Boulevard, when another witness, Roman Ansari—who was driving on the opposite side—noticed the suspect and began following him. He trailed him as he ran red lights and even went down the wrong way on a one-way street, nearly hitting multiple pedestrians.
Ansari, who has a police scanner, said he chased the suspect down all the way to the Promenade and 5th Street, where the suspect parked his vehicle in front of a business and walked casually toward a parking structure next to the former Walmart locatioAnsari said he followed the suspect to the parking structure and was able to direct arriving officers to him.

“When the cops came, I told them ‘he’s underneath the car,’ and when they drew their guns he came out peacefully,” Ansari said.
The suspect was arrested and later transported to a local hospital due to injuries related to the deployment of an airbag.
The bicyclist was also transported to a local hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.
The investigation remains ongoing.

http://kron4.com/2016/10/05/one-killed-in-accident-on-i-880-ramp-in-hayward/ :cry:
HAYWARD (KRON) — The bicyclist killed in a hit-and-run accident Wednesday morning in Hayward has been identified as 26-year-old Jose Enciso Hernandez of Hayward.
CHP officers were dispatched at about 7 a.m. to a report of a person lying on the right side of the on-ramp to Interstate Highway 880 from Tennyson Road.
There they found a man lying near a bicycle. Paramedics pronounced the man dead at the scene.
Officers could tell man had been lying there for a while because he was cold to the touch.
The bicyclist may have been crossing the road in a nearby crosswalk when a vehicle struck him.
Right now, officers have little information to go on because they have no witnesses and the suspect left the area.
Anyone with information about the crash has been asked to contact the CHP Hayward office at 510-489-1500.

More photos:
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/10/05/hayward-bicyclist-dead-on-i-880-on-ramp/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thom-nickels/death-by-auto-a-cyclist-i_b_12265348.html :cry:

Death By Auto: A Cyclist Is Gone

10/06/2016 03:57 pm ET

Thom NickelsPhiladelphia-based author/journalist

As the streets of Philadelphia become more congested, bicyclists are giving up their bikes because they no longer feel safe.

I sold my bike five years ago when I put it up for sale on Craig List. I sold it to a Methodist minister from New Jersey. As he arranged the bike on the back of his pickup truck, I felt relieved that I would no longer have to dodge speeding cars. Yes, I would be spared being hit from behind by a crazed drug dealer, or hit head on by a trucker who had one too many pitchers at the local pub.

In 2014 4,884 pedestrians and 726 bicyclists were killed in crashes with automobiles. If you were to round that out that would come to two people everyday of the year. According to the Pedestrian and Bicyclist Information Center, the 2014 numbers are slightly lower than they were in 2013, when 749 bicyclists were killed by cars. California, Florida and Texas lead the nation in cycle fatalities. 88% of all bicycle fatalities are male and 71% occur in urban areas.

In the early morning hours on Friday, September 2, 42 year old Matthew Matteson was driving his mountain bike to his second job along the 5700 block of Frankford Avenue when he was hit head on by a driver in a silver Buick Century going in the opposite direction. Something happened to make the Buick swerve into Matthew’s path, but what? Was the driver drunk, texting a friend or perhaps talking on the phone? Matteson was safely in the bike lane on the other side of the road with his safety lights flashing when the Buick crossed the median strip and struck him, sending him on the hood of the vehicle, then 114 feet into the air until his body landed on the side of the road. His mangled bike lay nearby, its safety lights still flashing.

A life ended, just like that. 

The driver of the Buick ditched his car and left the vicinity, turning himself in later to police who took him away for questioning. Matthew was given a Matteson family funeral on Monday September 12, ten days after the tragedy. It is now almost one month after the tragedy and the name of the driver of the Buick has still not been released by the Philadelphia Police. Can this accident that seems so cut and dried be so hard to investigate?

I did not know Matt Matteson but I have a close friend who is a friend of his uncle’s, so I was privy to some information about the deceased. Matt lived a pretty satisfying life with his father, worked two jobs and had just sold his car because he was concerned about pollution and making the world more ‘green’ friendly place. I heard that Matt did not own a computer and that he lived very cheaply. He lived pretty much like a monk who had taken a vow of poverty.

The precise manner of Matt’s death, his being hit by a car going in the opposite direction after it swerved in his direction, seems pretty cut and dry. There have been engineered “accidents” like this in James Bond movies where the villain slams his vehicle head on into the car of the hero. Certainly there have been drivers who have had heart attacks while behind the wheel, then lost control and gone over to the other side where they hit a pedestrian or a tree. I once spoke with a young guy who said that he had a stroke while driving on the expressway. He blanked out, after which his car swerved to the other side of the street where he rammed into a tree. He survived with very few injuries.

When I first heard about Matteson’s death I assumed that the killer car had come up behind Matteson and hit his bicycle from behind. In all my years as a cyclist my biggest fear was that a car would jump the road and hit the bike accidentally. There are drivers, after all, who have a mortal fear of driving too close to oncoming traffic because they fear head on collisions, so they drive too close to the culvert, sometimes hitting road signs or going into the culvert itself. These were the drivers I had to watch out for as a cyclist.

Hearing that the killer car hit Matt Matteson head on was a troubling thing to imagine. Presumably the car had been traveling in a straight path all along and then, suddenly, as if by osmosis, it swerves into the opposite bike lane as soon as a cyclist appears? Talk about a nasty coincidence.

There’s a pronounced curve in the road at 5700 Frankford Avenue. At night the curve is an extremely dark (unlighted) patch of highway.

It’s been almost a month since Matteson’s death and the DA still hasn’t finished its investigation. When I called PPD Media relations for an update on the case, I was told that the investigation was still “ongoing,” and that at some point a “verdict” will be reached. At that time an arrest warrant could be issued to the driver of the Buick.

When I heard about the Matteson tragedy, I was reading a biography of French writer Albert Camus. Camus, who was born in French controlled Algeria in 1911, grew up in poverty but managed to become one of France’s leading writers and journalists, winning the Nobel prize for Literature in 1957. Camus died at age 46 when the car he was a passenger in suddenly started to wobble sideways, went off the road and hit a tree, then wrapped itself around a second tree. Camus was killed instantly (he thrown out the back windshield) while the driver later died in hospital. The two women passengers survived, but a small dog disappeared.

Camus always had a fear of speed, and on several occasions during that fatal road trip he had asked the driver to slow down. The driver did not listen. At the time of the accident the car was traveling on a beautiful country road bordered by a canopy of trees. It has just started to rain before the car began to wobble.

As Camus biographer Olivier Todd noted, “The dashboard clock, which had been thrown into a nearby field, was stuck at 1:55 p.m. Camus had often told friends that nothing was more scandalous than the death of a child, and nothing more absurd than to die in a car accident.”

Dying while riding a bicycle is just as absurd as dying in a car crash. When the PPD eventually announces the name, age and profession of the driver of the Buick Mercury, we may have a better understanding of this tragedy.

Some possible verdicts:
1. The driver was an 80 year old man who mistook the accelerator for the break.
2. The driver was a 20 year old drug running hooligan who had just ingested a gram of speed. 
3. The driver was somebody important, a public figure, and this is the reason for the long investigation.
4. The driver was just your average drunk driver coming from a bar on Lehigh Avenue where they shoot pool.

The sad fact is, in Philadelphia there are too many cars on a small number of given streets and this makes for glutted traffic nightmares where it can take 30 minutes to travel 5 miles. Drivers, as a result, are more impatient and angrier than ever. New building construction in the city will increase downtown traffic, and this means that in the future there will be even less room on city streets for a new glut of vehicles.

http://www.presstelegram.com/genera...st-dies-shortly-after-starting-marathon-event :cry:

A bicyclist died Sunday after participating in a JetBlue Long Beach Marathon & Half Marathonevent.
Details on the bicyclist’s death, his age and identity were not yet available. Los Angeles County Coroner’s investigator Rudy Molano on Sunday afternoon said that the Coroner’s office is investigating a case that appears to be a man who died after participating in a race event.
Long Beach police Sgt. James Richardson confirmed that “a major medical emergency” involving a bicyclist occurred on marathon day.
Fire Department spokesman Jake Heflin said a male bicyclist went into cardiac arrest about 6:30 a.m. Sunday near the intersection of Ocean Boulevard and Prospect Avenue, which is in Belmont Shore.
Paramedics attempted to resuscitate the bicyclist while en route to a hospital, Heflin said.
The marathon, which began at 6 a.m., includes a bike tour and a run-and-bike combo event.
Run Racing, based in Los Alamitos, manages Long Beach Marathon events, which include competitive and recreational cycling. A spokesman could not be reached for comment.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article107229237.html :cry:
A bicyclist struck and killed by a bus Saturday night in West Sacramento has been identified by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office, police report.
Gregory Beard, 62, was riding a bicycle about 7 p.m. Saturday near the 4500 block of West Capitol Avenue when he was struck by a private charter bus that was carrying no passengers, said Sgt. Roger Kinney, West Sacramento Police Department spokesman.
Beard was transported to the UC Davis Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. The bus driver remained on scene and cooperated with officers, Kinney said.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Fire-lieutenant-becomes-Chicago-s-7th-bicycle-9965536.php :cry:
CHICAGO (AP) — A Chicago Fire Department lieutenant has become the seventh person in the city to die after a bicycle accident.
A fire department spokesman says 56-year-old Lt. Danny Carbol was biking home from his shift at a firehouse on Sept. 20, when an auto struck him. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where he died late Monday.
An autopsy Tuesday determined Carbol died of multiple injuries.
The Chicago Department of Transportation reports five others have died this year from collisions with vehicles. One person was killed when the bike he was riding was struck by a train.
Authorities say Chicago, which is constantly adding to its miles of bicycle lanes, usually sees about six bicycling deaths a year.

And:
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2016/10/police_believe_car_driven_by_7.html :cry:
By Danielle Salisbury | Danielle_Salisbury@mlive.com 
on October 08, 2016 at 8:40 AM, updated October 09, 2016 at 12:40 PM
NORVELL TWP., MI
Police believe a car crossed the fog line, struck and killed two bicyclists Friday as the bicyclists traveled in a designated bike shoulder of a state highway in southeastern Jackson County.
The driver, a 76-year-old man, was heading east on Wamplers Lake Road, M-124, about 4:45 p.m. near Pink Street, east of Brooklyn, when the 2002 Mercury Sable hit the two bicyclists, both women from the Norvell Township area, according to a statement from Jackson County Sheriff Steve Rand's office.
The women were biking before 5 p.m. Oct. 7 on Wamplers Lake Road near Pink Street east of Brooklyn and a vehicle hit them, according to the sheriff's office.
Early information shows the women, also traveling east, were biking in the "bike lane/shoulder area" of the road, a strip of pavement marked with green "bike route" signs, according to the sheriff's office.

Bicyclist killed in crash was active, energetic grandmother, cautious cyclist
Social and rarely idle, she liked to have plans. "Some sort of vacation. Some sort of project. Some sort of event, and preferably all of the above," her husband, Eric Patterson, said.
It is not clear from the statement why the Mercury Sable apparently crossed the fog line, the white marking at the right edge of the driving lane; left his lane; and veered into the bike lane. Alcohol does not appear to have been a factor, deputies reported, and it was a clear, sunny afternoon.
The sheriff's office accident investigation team is continuing its inquiry.
One of the women died at the scene. The other woman died while she was being taken by helicopter to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, the sheriff's office reported.
Police have not released the names of the bicyclists or the 76-year-old.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/killed-732251-driver-avenue.html :cry:

Bicyclist, creator of popular Zombies fan page, killed in Stanton collision
Oct. 15, 2016 
Updated 5:10 p.m.
BY LAUREN WILLIAMS, STAFF WRITER »
STANTON – A woman riding a bicycle was killed after the bike she was riding and a vehicle collided, police said Saturday.
Deborah Gresham, 44, of Stanton was killed as a result of the crash at 7:35 p.m. Friday on Cerritos Avenue east of Knott Avenue, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department and coroner’s office. She died at the scene.
The driver of the vehicle, described only as an adult man, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter.

Gresham created a popular online fan page for the zombie TV show “Walking Dead” called “Zombie Killers two” on Facebook. The group attracted 20,000 fans of the show worldwide, said Sarah Medley, a long-time member of the group.
Medley said Gresham organized games and trivia for the group, paying for some of the prizes awarded using her own money. It was through the group that Medley and Gresham became close friends who talked often. Gresham’s group connected people from around the world who formed close bonds.

“Some people didn’t believe it. They said they just talked to her. She lived for that group,” said Medley, who lives just north of Madison, Wis. “We all loved her. We’re just going to go on from here and honor her in our individual ways.”
Gresham’s death comes one week before the season premiere of the “Walking Dead,” and the group plans to remember Gresham individually on the day the show is aired.

http://mynewsla.com/orange-county/2...ills-bicycle-rider-in-stanton-arrest-at-home/ :twisted: Updated information on the accused.
Drunken hit-and-run driver kills bicycle rider in Stanton? Arrest at home
POSTED BY DEBBIE L. SKLAR ON OCTOBER 15, 2016 IN OC A 44-year-old woman riding a bicycle in Stanton was struck and killed by an allegedly drunken hit-and-run motorist who was later arrested at his home.
The bicyclist was later identified as Stanton resident Deborah Gresham, according to the coroner’s office.
Deputies dispatched at 7:41 p.m. Friday to the 7100 block of Cerritos Avenue found Gresham, who was pronounced dead at the scene, in the westbound lanes of Cerritos Avenue, according to Lt. John Roche of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
“The suspect left the scene and was eventually located at his residence in Stanton,” Roche said.
Witness information led deputies to Ricardo Hernandez Sandoval’s home, where he was arrested on suspicion of felony hit and run, felony DUI and vehicular manslaughter, Roche said.
—City News Service

https://www.racer.com/imsa/item/135598-updated-veteran-engineer-mathis-succumbs-to-injuries :cry:
UPDATED: Veteran engineer Mathis succumbs to injuries
Tuesday, 18 October 2016
Marshall Pruett (words & images)
Open-wheel and sports car engineer Ron Mathis died early on Tuesday from injuries sustained in an accident on Sept. 15.
English-born Mathis was struck by a car while riding his bicycle home from work in Mojave, California and suffered multiple broken bones, internal injuries, and head trauma.
His career as an engineer and designer spanned a wide variety of series, and included two outright wins and a class win at the Daytona 24 Hours and two Le Mans 24 Hours podiums. But he was perhaps best known for his involvement with Audi during its dominance of the ALMS, in particular with the twin-turbodiesel V12-powered R10 (below).
Five-time Le Mans winner Emanuele Pirro (pictured at left with Mathis, above), who became close friends with Mathis during their time together at Audi, said that the loss will be deeply felt.
"Ron had so much passion and was so well educated, he was so respectful... He has inspired my life," Pirro told RACER. "We haven't only lost a good friend, but the world has lost a very valuable person. Sometimes, because of his humble attitude, he was not heard as much as the ones who shouted and talked the most, but that's what made him incredible.
"He wrote the most amazing engineering reports for the team and filed every one of them by saying at the end 'Respectfully submitted.' That always touched me, because he was submitting these written pieces of art and he should be thanked for them, but instead, it was as if he was thanking us for reading them. Such an amazing man."
Mathis moved away from working full-time in racing after ending his involvement with Audi in 2008, and at the time of his accident was overseeing the design and engineering of the mechanical aspects of the XCOR Lynx suborbital spacecraft. He was also active in helping implement programs to assist young engineers in developing their skills.
A GoFundMe page has been created to assist with covering the medical expenses incurred during Mathis' hospitalization.
Mathis is survived by his wife Cindy and son Simon. RACER extends its condolences to Mathis's family and all of those he touched or influenced during his career.

http://www.pe.com/articles/monday-816689-department-shut.html :cry:
Hit-run driver kills Perris bicyclist along Highway 74 (UPDATE 2)
By RICHARD BROOKS / STAFF WRITER Published: Oct. 24, 2016 Updated: 11:09 p.m.
A hit-and-run driver killed a 62-year-old Perris bicyclist before dawn along a major highway in that city, sheriff's officials say.
Steven Marsh died at the scene of the 3:30 a.m. crash Monday, Oct. 24, at Navajo Road and a stretch of Highway 74 called Fourth Street in Perris, coroner's officials said.
A dark sedan was traveling west when it ran a red light and hit the victim, who was peddaling south and trying to turn east, sheriff's investigators said of their preliminary findings. The impact is believed to have damaged the windshield and front end of the car's passenger side.
The investigation closed the highway in both directions for 5-1/2 hours.
Anyone with additional information may call deputies at 951-210-1000.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article110505022.html :cry:
A man was in critical condition after being shot while riding his bike on a central Fresno street Tuesday night, police said.
Lt. Mark Hudson said the man was riding on Holland Avenue toward Fresno Street around 8 p.m. when an older-model white or silver SUV parked on the curb with one person inside. The shooter got out of the SUV and confronted the bicyclist and shot at least twice at close proximity: a bullet to the chest and a bullet through the left arm that lodged in the bicyclist’s side.
The shooter got back in the SUV and backed up, knocking down trash cans in front of a home, then turned onto Fresno Street, Hudson said.
Police officers found the bicyclist in the roadway. Hudson said police were still trying to determine his identity. He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center.
It is not known if the shooting is gang-related, Hudson said. Police did not have a description of the shooter.
Police said Wednesday there was no new information in the case.

And:
https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2016/10/police-ask-residents-to-help-solve-echo-park-murder/ :cry:
BY LUCY GUANUNA
ECHO PARK — Police and city officials met with residents at the scene of a recent homicide to ask for help in finding the suspects who shot down a man on his bike.
The impromptu community gathering that included Councilman Mitch O’Farrell took place late Friday at the corner of Mohawk and Montana streets where 36-year-old William Perea was fatally shot while riding his bike the night of October 17. No suspects have been identified. LAPD Northeast Division Captain Phillip Smith was present to give residents a description of the homicide in hopes of prompting more community involvement.
“We would like to get more information from the community, but we’re not getting anything at this time,” said Smith in a phone interview.
Perea was riding his bike southbound on Mohawk when a car drove by and fired about 4 to 5 gunshots. Three, 9-millimeter casings were recovered at the scene. Perea was hit with one fatal shot while on his bicycle. He fell over at the northwest corner of Mohawk and Montana. He was pronounced dead at the scene. It was the third Echo Park murder of the year, according to the L.A. Times Homicide Report.
Smith said Perea had been arrested for narcotics violations and was a transient at the time of the shooting. The shooting could have been a random act or it could have been retaliation for an unpaid drug payment, Smith said.
At the neighborhood gathering, residents were also able to voice their concerns about other public safety issues, including the recent uptick in gang crime and graffiti as well reckless driving in Echo Park’s narrow streets.
“We have had some shootings, but it hasn’t been to the extent that we need to put a task force together … to try to deal with it,” said Smith.
Although the shooting happened in an area with active gangs and tagging, the homicide has not been identified as gang-related at this time.
“The investigation is ongoing and we are investigating all aspects of the case,” said Smith.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...-worst-city-for-bicycling/Content?oid=6267829
Charleston deserves the distinction of being Bicycling mag's "Worst City for Bicycling"
And the Winner Is ...
By Stephanie Hunt

While we were busy sweeping up after Matthew and raking in, yet again, the coveted No. 1 City accolade from Conde Nast Traveler, many of us may have missed another whopper of an award that our high-ranking Holy City was recently bestowed. The latest list-topper came from Bicycling magazine: "2016's Worst City for Bicycling."

Talk about a flat tire.

But why should anyone care that a niche publication calls our fair city out for its bicycle unfriendliness? "For all that makes Charleston so great, the vast majority of its residents can't safely access that greatness by bike," the article noted, going on to point out while most thriving metropolitan regions in the U.S., and certainly our competitor cities, are rapidly investing in bicycle infrastructure, our city and regional governments "have implicitly — and sometimes explicitly — discouraged cycling. Throughout Charleston, bike lanes and trails exist sparingly, and end abruptly."

Here's why you should strap your helmet on and give a damn. For one, Bicycling is the world's largest cycling magazine, with a global readership of 2 million — compared to Conde Nast's 3 million, that's nothing to laugh at. Its readers are affluent (average household income of $102,573) and 77 percent of them are college educated. In other words, this is the demographic our tourism leaders are spending your tax dollars to target.

In fact, our fabulously successful and savvy tourism marketing mavens at the CVB are prominently featuring bicyclists leisurely two-wheeling down our charming streets in their "Explore Charleston" videos and print ads. Click on their website landing page and see for yourself. Some of our finest and most celebrated hotels, including Zero George, The Restoration, The Spectator, and The Dewberry, offer bikes as amenities to their guests and populate their Instagram feeds with guests-on-bikes pics, and guess what, it's working. Folks who are willing to pay upwards of $400 a night to stay in Charleston evidently are attracted by bikes. It's the new sexy. Similarly, look at promotional materials for new residential developments from Carolina Park to Summers Corner, and the ads routinely show bikes.

All of which I love, I applaud. It's smart for the CVB and others to use bike appeal as an effective marketing ploy. Plus, more visitors on bikes means less traffic on roads and a better visitor and resident experience. Exploring Charleston by bike is one of my absolute favorite things to do, and I encourage everyone to ditch your cars and pedal along, even those of you getting ready to write a snarky comment here about how bicyclists in Charleston are rude and get in your way. Yes even you, and perhaps especially you, could benefit from the pleasures of experiencing our incredible streetscape, savoring the scent of tea olives, jasmine, and restaurant kitchens, of making eye contact with the people around you, even if you glare.

What's not good is the disconnect that's apparent when you contrast one week's Bicycling magazine award with the next week's Conde Nast glory. It seems folks are being lured here under false bike-friendly pretenses, but that's not the CVB's fault — they're just doing their job, and obviously doing it damn well. It's our fault for not ensuring our region lives up to its claims, or its potential.

Our shameful Bicycling magazine designation brings national and international attention to our region's lack of connected infrastructure and to the neglect by the folks we've elected who have failed to bring us up to speed. Even more embarrassing, it highlights our city and county councils' failure to abide by established public processes and procedures and move forward with the linchpin Legare Bridge bike/ped access lane across the Ashley River. Witness City Councilman Marvin Wagner standing up in a County Council meeting and publicly calling his fellow council members "wrong" for twice voting to approve the lane. In refusing to admit defeat and in their doggedness to kill the lane, Wagner and his naysaying pal Moody are being as irresponsible and undemocratic as the tantrum-prone Trump who claims election results will be valid only "if I win."

But it's more than just unbecoming to be nationally shamed for our bicycling backwardness when the rest of the country, from Chicago to Austin to Chattanooga to New Orleans to Louisville — all of which appeared on the magazine's list of Top 50 Best Bike Cities — are all actively investing in making their communities safer and more accessible to those not in cars. It's detrimental to our region's quality of life, our health and wellness, and our economic growth.
Case studies routinely show that stores and businesses thrive when bicycle and pedestrian access improves—just ask the King Street retailers who want more bike corrals (which initially received huge push back) added. High quality employers and clean industry, especially tech companies, are attracted to cities where their employees and their families can safely bike and walk. Bicycle tourism is booming across the country, with states like Oregon, North Carolina and Florida proactively investing in growing this sector because bicycle tourists have less negative impact, stay longer in a state and spend more per day than other tourists, according to a Pew Charitable Trust report.
Shame on us, Charleston. We can celebrate our accolades all we want, and we can take well-deserved pride in attracting tourists and being friendly to visitors. But let’s also be honest. If we’re using the appeal of bikes to lure them here, let’s put some intention, vision and political muscle into making it friendly and safe for them to ride once they arrive. That’ll be a win-win for tourists and residents alike.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20161027/bicyclist-killed-in-pacoima-crash :cry:
PACOIMA — A man riding his bicycle Wednesday night was fatally struck by a vehicle in Pacoima, police said today.
The accident was reported around 11:10 p.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Van Nuys and Foothill boulevards.
The victim, who police estimate was 39 years old, was taken to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.
The driver of the vehicle that struck him remained at the scene and cooperated with the investigation, Los Angeles Police Department Officer Aareon Jefferson said.
Jefferson said the vehicle travelled southbound on Foothill and hit the bicyclist who was crossing the intersection outside of the crosswalk.
A spokesperson from the L.A. County Coroner’s office said they were looking for the bicyclist’s next of kin.
The intersection was open as of Thursday morning, Jefferson said.

"Accident with Trailer Kills 2 Electric Bicycle Riders"
http://redwiretimes.com/singapore-in-brief/accident-with-trailer-kills-2-electric-bicycle-riders/
redwire-singaproe-electric-bicycle-accident-west-coast-1.jpg

About Redwire
Singapore – from a Singaporean perspective. Redwire Times Singapore is an independent news team that brings you the latest and juiciest on Singapore. We’re not afraid to be critical, thought-provoking and blunt. And we publish opinions that are critical, thought-provoking and blunt. A new Singapore speaks. We’re here to deliver.

Police have arrested the 34-year-old driver of the trailer and are investigating him for causing death by negligence.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/gutierrez-733731-report-year.html :cry:
COSTA MESA – A 32-year-old cyclist was struck and killed by oncoming traffic as he attempted to transition from the southbound 55 to northbound 405 in the freeway’s fast lane late Friday, the California Highway Patrol said.
Gilbert Gutierrez III, a resident of Lakewood, was identified by the coroner’s office as the victim.
An incident report released by the CHP says Gutierrez crossed lanes on the 55 while riding his Schwinn bicycle shortly before 11 p.m. and was struck by a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Investigators believe the car was traveling approximately 70 miles per hour, the report says.
Gutierrez was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene.
The incident was still under investigation Saturday morning. It was not immediately known if drugs or alcohol were factors in the collision. No citations or arrests were made and the driver of the Eclipse, a 24-year-old woman, was not injured.

Back