• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bike Friendly City?

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/201...lled-in-garden-grove-collision/#comment-43545
Copy of the OC Register article. Another tragic death following some quiet weeks. :cry:

GARDEN GROVE – A bicyclist struck and killed by a vehicle Monday night has been identified as Brian Winfrey, 47, of Laguna Hills, authorities said.

Winfrey was riding along the right shoulder of Euclid Street near Wakefield Avenue when he was struck by a white Honda CRV traveling south on Euclid shortly before 7 p.m., Garden Grove traffic investigator Jason Perkins said.

Winfrey was wearing a yellow reflective vest, Perkins said.

Winfrey was taken to UCI Medical Center in Orange. He was pronounced dead about an hour later, the Orange County Coroner's Office said.

The 48-year-old female driver of the CRV remained at the scene, police said. No arrests or citations have been reported.

Traffic investigators are looking into the cause of the crash. Neither drugs nor alcohol are believed to have played a factor in the crash.

Northbound Euclid was closed from Orangewood to Katella avenues as investigators went over the scene, police said.

Authorities are asking anyone who witnessed the accident to call Perkins at 714-741-5823.

Contact the writer: 714-704-3709 or desalazar@ocregister.com

A Riverside man died Tuesday night, Dec. 4, after he was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike in Jurupa Valley.

Aristeo Valladares, 47, was riding in the 5900 block of Limonite Avenue, at Riverview Drive, about 7:30 p.m. when he was struck from behind by a vehicle, according to Riverside County coroner and sheriff’s officials.

Firefighters arrived to find witnesses performing CPR, the Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department said. Valladares was treated by paramedics and taken away by ambulance in critical condition.

Valladares was pronounced dead shortly after 8 p.m. at Riverside Community Hospital, the coroner said.

The Sheriff’s Department is still trying to determine the cause of the traffic collision. Anyone with information is asked to call the Jurupa Valley Station at 951-955-2600.
From the Press Enterprise
Another Ghost Bike please for another tragic death. :cry:
http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/201...r-killed-in-rear-end-collision/#comment-44076

Redmond, WA on Avondale Road:
Last Monday I was on my way to have some hairs clipped off my pate and I’m heading down a narrow two-lane road in the center of my lane sporting a delineated bike lane in the right, sidewalk farther right with peds in both directions, and a bicyclist farther ahead threading forward in the same direction.

I’m rushed and hot off the charger at WOT – at least 35 mph. It’s cold, possibly freezing, with frozen water in the gutter, though none on the roadway. I’ve got a car or two on my tail and we’re heading southbound towards a Y-intersection with Avondale Way having a traffic light and ped-crossing with a sidewalk ramp on the right.

I am approaching the bicyclist from behind with front and rear stallions of my 2WD beneath me breaking a frothy sweat, my senses heightened by good respiratory intake, and I’m observing the road ahead – imagining potential danger fore (peds on sidewalk minding their own well enough, bicyclist approaching cross-walk) and aft (with bar-end mirrors - cars behind)…

My heart is racing, my mind predicts the bicyclist is not paying attention, and as I approach with less than 50 feet the mofo rolls left down the ramp into the crosswalk directly in front of me without even looking behind at approaching traffic. There’s no time to mouth “WTF?” :evil:

My ebike is 2WD, so both motors are whining at WOT. I have studs on the front that crackle crisply over asphalt, and knobbies on the back that contribute a deep bassy-rumble; an attentive person would hear me approach two, maybe three hundred feet away. I hit the brakes! Now he hears me as my tires dig and screech… He's a Deer-in-headlights :shock:

In slow-motion, I do not have time to visualize my tiny life pass before me. Eyes as big as saucers, his momentum carries him to my left, I turn and bank right trying to keep wheels from breaking into a complete skid; the rear tire is coming around as I roll right and bracing into a broadside. He panics and cuts back to his right, and placing him back to my right. I’ve moved all the way out of the lane and into the bike lane knowing the cars are right behind me and won’t be able to stop in time (contrary to the advantages of an ebike). Studded tires and knobbies really do grip the road well, and straightening - I come to a complete stop in the bike lane at a perfect face-to-face, mano-a-mano with the bicyclist, millimeters from his nose. :x

In broad daylight and rare fair weather (except for cold) I’m wearing my hi-viz Seattle Rain Jacket with a white AGV white moped Helmet - visor down, illuminated by twin high-powered LED torches, brake light, and twin Blinkies strobing away… I can feel the cars just miss me passing to my left…

The guy isn’t wearing a helmet, no... He’s wearing a black synthetic leather jacket, spectacles, perhaps dressed for class, and is white as a sheet. I can read his soul through the inky depths of those dilated pupils. Feeling highly perturbed (surely an understatement) I said: “You didn’t even look!” Agitated, he jibbers “Ja, I made a mistake!

I don’t have a single bone of malice in my body, but damned if I wasn’t incredulous, and I said again a bit louder through my faceshield: “You didn’t even look - and pulled right out in front of me!” To which he again repeated (and this time I heard it cos I sure didn’t believe it the first time) “JA, I MADE A MISTAKE!

And with that, I turned and proceeded on down the road to my appointment where the hairs on my pate would get an even closer shave.

My bike weighs 100 lbs. and I am quite certain that if we had collided at full-speed, I could have broken his bike in half, or at the very least – pretzeled it. I can’t imagine the damage to his body – but I was mobilizing for the full sky tuck n’ roll… GAWD!

It’s not just cars out there trying to kill us…
-1 on my count of nine lives. KF

Wow. Those SoCal cops continue to make a compelling case that they should be used for animal feed.

Back