Bike racks.

dogman dan

1 PW
I just got one I really like for the birthday. It's a swagman brand. The type that holds the bike by the wheels like a bus bike rack. Goes on the reciever on a trailer hitch. Seems very sturdy and is light years easier to use than the ones that the bike hangs from the frame. Handles the heavy ass ebike no problem. I'm compromising and driving a small portion of the commute so I can avoid riding through six miles of man tall weeds at the peak of hayfever season here. Hopefully the state hwy dept will mow soon.

Sounds great can you post a picture?

I have one of the old style units that holds the bike frame and with two e bikes on it its just not designed for the extra weight not to mention the way it clamps the frame and all you wires to death.There is so many great rides that are just to far away to ride to .

Kurt.

is this it?

http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shopnew/product.php?productid=16228&cat=253&page=1
http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shopnew/product.php?productid=16241&cat=0&page=1&featured

http://www.hitchestogo.com/images/Bike%20Carrier%20016.jpg

That would be the one. It was kinda my only choice since my subaru came with a 1 1/4 hitch reciever. Other nicer, more expensive ones to carry 4 bikes took the 2 inch. I really tested it today taking the peadler out to the local mountain trails. Went though some big holes in the road to a parking spot I like that really tested it. Real 4x4 type roads to get there. Holds the bike amazingly secure with just a single quick tighten of the rachet on the hook. No complicated 4 bungee tie downs.

The dogs loved the run though the mountains and now I can carry a bike and them.

i've got 4 dogs to take out soon with my bike.
worked on my bike maintenance yesterday (bleeding brakes) and so the bike's ready to go.... all i need is a rack.
i just got a 2" hitch installed on my pickup (tacoma) and so i am looking for a rack that can fold down nicely which will let me drop the tailgate and when the dogs jump out, that they don't accidently jump onto the folded rack that might stick out beyond the tailgate if i went with the simple "L" kind.

the vertical hook bars on your model don't fold down, do they?
i think thule makes one that does.

anyway, i'm looking forward to training my dogs to deal with me on a bike instead of just a walk. they'll get better exercise too. i've already trained them to walk behind me "ceasar style" :D

Yes the vertical bar folds down. And it comes in the 2" as well as the wimpy hitch I have. If carrying just one bike, removing two of the wheel holders and using the inside of the rack gives pretty dang good ground clearance with little likelyhood of hanging up on a dip in the road. I'm not sure how far to trust it, but in the carry on the inside mode, it seems like anything the bike is going to hang on, I don't want to drive the road anyway. I really found this rack easy to use, and don't seem to need any additional bungees or stuff to hold the bike on. The general way to use it is fold down the vertical arm, put on a bike, raise the arm, secure the bike with the hold down, put on second bike, and put on the hold down. Literaly takes seconds to put a bike on the rack and secure it. The price is high at about $150 shipped, but its well worth it. Removal from the car takes just a minuite, but the bolt can be easily locked instead of using the quick pin. Of course if they really want your bike, they will get it. Unless the dogs are there.

Webster 524 was the seller I used on ebay. Shipped really fast.

awww i don't have trailer hitch. I've been putting my whole bike into my hatch back car. It fits, but a bitch to haul in and out.

Back