bluetooth BMS?

BMSs you really can't generalize, so many varieties out there from cheap Chinesium to those costing a thousand bucks.

At the cheap end, most BMSs voltage setpoint parameters are hard-coded, specific to a certain chemistry and usually to high and too low to be useful, crappy balancing too.

Better models are user-programmable, bludtooth or have a display. But the difference between LFP and other LI chemistries is so great often separate models even then.

Separate balancers dedicated to that function, as opposed to the protective ones.

What kind of "physical" differences you asking about?

john61ct said:
BMSs you really can't generalize, so many varieties out there from cheap Chinesium to those costing a thousand bucks.

At the cheap end, most BMSs voltage setpoint parameters are hard-coded, specific to a certain chemistry and usually to high and too low to be useful, crappy balancing too.

Better models are user-programmable, bludtooth or have a display. But the difference between LFP and other LI chemistries is so great often separate models even then.

Separate balancers dedicated to that function, as opposed to the protective ones.

Well, sure i am asking on the bms'es that are discussed here, bluetooth bms with xiaoxiang app. They sell them as lipo or lifepo4 but they are programmable so i vander if they are compatible. I bought lifepo4 and old cells i had died. Now i got nissan leaf cells and wandering if i can use lifepo4 bluetooth bms on them.
I know energus tinyBMS works on both chemistries but i dont know if this one does

john61ct said:

Well, sure i am asking on the bms'es that are discussed here, bluetooth bms with xiaoxiang app. They sell them as lipo or lifepo4 but they are programmable so i vander if they are compatible. I bought lifepo4 and old cells i had died. Now i got nissan leaf cells and wandering if i can use lifepo4 bluetooth bms on them.
I know energus tinyBMS works on both chemistries but i dont know if this one does

FYI, there are literally dozens of completely different units discussed in this thread.

Many have proposed coming up with a standard way of referring to specific types, but so far the one category you mention

as opposed to ANT type is as good as I can make out.

I suggest finding a specific model from a specific supplier, post the URL, that's IMO the only way to be sure we're talking the same unit.

And if that source happens to offer decent documentation - and I would not buy from one that didn't - then you may / should be able to tell from the min/max voltage ranges.

But right up front on 99% of listings, they list the intended chemistries, the most flexible include LTO as well as "lithium-ion" to indicate the 3.6-3.7Vnominal chemistries, with 3.2-3.3V LFP falling in between.

But I believe most just specify the one, and the min/max range is too narrow to work with more than one.

LLT / JBD are related companies, good to start there I think.

Xiaoxiang type
Jiabaida Technology
Dongguan Jiabaida Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.

I believe SZLLT is also a relevant search string.

Less sure about RJXZS.

They seem to make separate units for "Li ion" as opposed to LFP, no idea about LTO.

agniusm said:
Is there a physical difference between lipo and lifepo4 bms versions? Possible to program lifepo4 to work on lipo cells?
I am using the "ANT" bluetooth bms. For ANT, all versions can be used for all chemistry. Just choose the versions matching the no. of S group. And you set the voltages you like for your chemistry.

See one of the post for details.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32826820690.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_588374344.subject_1

john61ct said:
So why do they sell separate models by chemistry/
No idea. Maybe so they can target specific needs of their customes (specific chemistry), but just stock the one product. Then they can just load the appropriate settings into the BMS before shipping.

Similar situation with the current rating. You can program a 50A unit to allow 100A. It'd just get hotter quicker. They're all the same fundamental product. From what I've seen, the higher current rated ones just have more mosfets, and sometimes more shunts and more/longer copper strips added on top of the tracks. For example, I bought a 40A unit, replaced the mosfets with more/better parts, added more copper, tripled the shunts, and changed the limit to 200A. I run 150A though it all the time, no problems.

john61ct said:
LLT / JBD are related companies, good to start there I think.

Xiaoxiang type
Jiabaida Technology
Dongguan Jiabaida Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.

I believe SZLLT is also a relevant search string.

Less sure about RJXZS.

They seem to make separate units for "Li ion" as opposed to LFP, no idea about LTO.

Yes, have llt one with xiaoxiang app. Here is the one: https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/16s-20s-17s-18s-li-ion-or-lifepo4-smart-bms-with-20a-to-40a-constant-discharge-current-bluetooth-function/

Original post is on these BMS'es so i dont specify exactly as i am posting on original subject.
My thinking was the same, if HVC and LVC is programmable there should be no difference but they listed it as li-ion and lifepo4 and i got thinking that there might be a different range for LVC and HVC hence i asked before getting into wiring the wrong bms

I know my JBD BMS with the Xiaoxiang app has limits of how high and low you can set the parameters, and those limits have changed a bit with the newer version of Xiaoxiang this year. The PC app either doesn't have any limits, or they're so loose I never had a problem setting what I wanted.

Agniusm,

I can confirm JBD-type boards do work for LiIon as well as for LiFe. Not only I am using two of them, one for 14s LiIon and the other with 17s LiFe. But when getting the 14s board by mistake I bought the LiFe version. It's only the default parameter values which are different: you just reprogram the correct cell/battery limits.

quamau said:
Agniusm,

I can confirm JBD-type boards do work for LiIon as well as for LiFe. Not only I am using two of them, one for 14s LiIon and the other with 17s LiFe. But when getting the 14s board by mistake I bought the LiFe version. It's only the default parameter values which are different: you just reprogram the correct cell/battery limits.

Great, thank you. Wont be stuck then waiting for a new one.
Thanks everyone for help

Does anyone have an ANT BMS 300A 20s for sale in Australia? Rather than buying it from overseas.

Got another question :)
I bought 16S bms but i ha e to go with 15S due to controller capping. Which contacts should i short to go lower to 15S? Its already down from 20S
H0ruFfL.jpg

Hello.
I have a problem with my BMS. shows bad cell voltages. The wiring is ok. My BMS has been in operation for 26 days and it will break down after connecting the charger.
One photo shows how BMS worked.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

Attachments

• Ali.png
    Ali.png
    61 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Screenshot_2020-04-29-08-08-35-574_com.lecheng.hello.ant_bms.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-29-08-08-35-574_com.lecheng.hello.ant_bms.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,338
I have a 13s 60A JBD BMS.

Cells were fully charged and balanced before and after the the battery pack was made. I left it overnight and noticed that Cell 1 (next to battery pack negative) kept discharging down to 3.2. Pack is made of x11 cells per parallel group.

When I charge it cell 1 doesn't seem to pick up in line with the rest of the cells.

Checked my wiring three times. Pack negative goes to B- along with black balance cable. First white balance cable goes to the positive of cell 1 (the cell that keeps discharging). Then all subsequent balance cables go to + of next cell group.

Anyone know why Cell 1 keeps discharging?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200603-185447.png
    Screenshot_20200603-185447.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,258
1. Disconnect the BMS from the pack completely.
2. Fully charge the pack. Note: If one cell group is more than about 0.1V lower than the rest (like in your case), it will take forever for the BMS to balance the pack. You need to charge that group individually using a hobby charger or appropriate power supply.
3. Confirm all cell groups are charged to 4.2V using a multimeter (not the BMS app).
4. Wait 24 hours.
5. Check all cell group voltages (multimeter).
6. Conclude if the problem is in the BMS or the cell group.
A) If cell group, disassemble, and repeat process for all 11 cells individually to find which cell(s) are bad.
B) If BMS, discard.
7. Report back here with findings.

Hi guys

I have an ANT BMS and I use a Cycle Satiator to charge. When charging from flat the Satiator will show 5 amps/360 watt charge but the BMS will only show 3,1 amps / 230 watt. The total voltage (e.g. 72V) of the pack is off by 0,1 - 0,2 volt between the Satiator and the BMS and rising at the same pace when charging, so no problem there.

I suspect the Satiator is showing the correct numbers. Do any of you guys know if there is a setting in the ANT BMS that allows me to get these numbers closer or identical to the numbers of the Satiator?

So I did this today :oops: (too much water)
IMG_20200623_165804.jpg
IMG_20200623_165715.jpg

Its an ANT 320A 7S to 16S BMS from IC GOGOGO on AliExpress

I'm going to take a stab at replacing these resistors to see if I can get it working again.

I find it tricky to actually see the colours and I'm not sure which end is which. My guess is:

Resistor #1 Black, Black, Orange, Orange (Brown) = 3k Ohms 1%

Resistor #2 Black, Black, Grey, Grey (Brown) = 800M Ohms 1% <- Definitely doesn't seem right

Any idea what size (wattage) and resistance these are?

Thanks

I've found a photo online of the same board but I'm not sure if this has the same current rating as mine (320A, see post above) or if that even matters:
74ca3be74665a9babb0393879f96f4b5dc6e4248_2_1380x776.jpeg

From that photo; I see two:

Green Black Silver Gold Black resistors which equals 50.8 Ohms

does that seem correct?

pwd said:
I've found a photo online of the same board but I'm not sure if this has the same current rating as mine (320A, see post above) or if that even matters:
74ca3be74665a9babb0393879f96f4b5dc6e4248_2_1380x776.jpeg

From that photo; I see two:

Green Black Silver Gold Black resistors which equals 50.8 Ohms

does that seem correct?

Judging by the size of them, they are what create the voltage divider from wherever pack voltage is being pulled from, to send through the regulator. Same value you found in another pic should be correct. I have the same BMS. But it seems everytime someone asks a question about this specific model it gets skimmed over. VBMS by vortecks on android doesnt work for me with this board. Only the eng version of the app that shipped with it and one available about 40 pages back works.

Let me know if you need or have anymore info.

bf6pg0S.jpg

Back