• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BMS ADVICE what should I go with?

h82w8v6

10 mW
so Ill keep this short and sweet, I am looking to acquire a BMS for some Headway cells. The Headway cells are the 10ah 30210 I believe and I have them in a 16s config. So far I have gone with 3 different BMSs, one was a resistor style that came with the headway DIY pack and the other two were a new signlab v2.5 and china special (IDK) but anyways they have all failed me, never not once did they balance. Now two of them were my own fault but the signalab was in fact wired properly and had confirmed this ..... but still no joy.

I am looking for recommendations on what you guys use with great success

should i go w/ a resistor style or diode? what are the pros and cons?

at this moment I have to manual balance and it is time consuming. Looking for the Plug n Play option.... Please and thanks, I really could use some good links as I have not really found convincing info.

on a side note I have been looking into parallel charging, but i dont want to dis assemble every time just to charge.... series + parallel on headway pack..... errr not sure about that ...... :|

headway 38120 is the appellation.

if the cells are far outa balance and you have one that goes to the 3.9V level right away it will shut off the charging mosfet so it stops charging. so if you put this pack together initially without balancing all the cells together it takes a long time to get the BMS to balance them. once they are balanced they should stay that way.

i don't know if you ever started on thread on any of your problems before but do any of the BMSs you have now allow you to charge? what is the problem you are having with them?

if you use a power resistor or flashlight bulb you can drain charge off the high cells to bring them down to the same voltage as the others so the pack can then balance under the BMS. but first it has to be close enuff that the balancing current can push them all into balance. and to make the BMS force them to balance you have to have a high enuff voltage on the charger.

so what voltage does the charger ouput?

well the charger was set to 60.2 at the time that the signalab was installed and never even activated the charger. before i started the charging, all cells were well within balance. within .02 vdc of one another. and i used the light bulb trick to bleed off extra voltage per cell as needed. I knpw that there is no problem with the charger because when i bypass the bms the charger fires up until desired voltage is reached.
im sure that the death of the other two bms's were my fault, i know this now.... but the signalab was just a dud and will not allow charge.

Attachments

• 1504049_10201279220325030_1567080444_n.jpg
    1504049_10201279220325030_1567080444_n.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 565
sorry to be direct but no signalab is a dud. they all work fine until they get damaged.

is that a picture of your BMS or is it another BMS? can you show us how it is wired up? do the leds stay on all the time?

what are the other BMSs and can you post up pictures of them so we know what you had?

Follow dnmun's advice until conclusion. If you discover that you still need a BMS, I have had good luck with an older 12s version of this http://headway-headquarters.com/xji-16s-48v-50a-100a-bms/

I run Headway 40152S 15Ah Cells......Have done so for over 4000 miles. To date, the BMS has been rock-solid.

:D

sorry im on a touch screen keyboard, kinda funny feeling, lol.... so in this pic there are some gator clips for testing the charging mosfet. on an earlier post it was asked of me to get a reading from the two highlighted areas. i can drop a link here if anyone is interested. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58148 but thats just where the post left off and got no further.... as i could get a reading but just was not sure what i was looking for....

really just looking for bms advice..... sorry have to logg off be back as soon as i can

dnmun said:
sorry to be direct but no signalab is a dud. they all work fine until they get damaged.

is that a picture of your BMS or is it another BMS? can you show us how it is wired up? do the leds stay on all the time?

what are the other BMSs and can you post up pictures of them so we know what you had?

This is the exact diagram that i followed with the exception of the watts up meter.....and of course its a 16s setup. I also did not use "P-" because i did not want the BMS to hold back the controler and wanted a detachable BMS for transportation..... hope the helps to paint a picture.....

Attachments

• bmsbattery.png
    bmsbattery.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 790
h82w8v6 said:
..........I also did not use "P-" because i did not want the BMS to hold back the controler and wanted a detachable BMS for transportation..... hope the helps to paint a picture.....

No P- :shock: :?:

What amps is bms and controller again?

e-beach said:
h82w8v6 said:
..........I also did not use "P-" because i did not want the BMS to hold back the controler and wanted a detachable BMS for transportation..... hope the helps to paint a picture.....

No P- :shock: :?:

What amps is bms and controller again?

Controller is about 28 +/- amps
And the BMS is 50 +/ - amps

I know that it would not be the limiting factor, not at this point in time, but when I get the Kelly controller I want then it would be @ 50-60amps or so, not sure what one I want yet. As I understand it I do not have to use P- as that will only disable my LVC for independent cell voltage (maybe at some point I will use this) but that would not keep me from charging, right?.... Thanks guys!

Back