• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BMS confusion.....

splash

1 mW
I have researched this forum for many hours. There seem to be many different opinions expressed. Cannot find where to obtain a stand alone BMS. I am wondering if the best way to go is to buy a (48v) battery pack complete with BMS and where the battery cells are easily replaced. (I think this very important). I think most battery packs are welded together and so cells are not easily replaced.
After the battery capacity goes down considerably I would replace the whole pack with a home made pack.
Can anyone help?

if you can't find one, then you haven't looked at all. There are TONS out there, via this forum, or via suppliers are listed in this forum.

fechter goodrum BMS
Ping
bmsbattery
batteryspace

I think a lot depends on how you're gunna use your bike.If you're gunna pleasure ride like I do the balancing taps are better in the charger.I live in upstate NY and the batteries will sit for the winter,maybe 5 or 6 months so I don't want a BMS drawing juice all winter from 1 set of cells and killing that set.

You can charge them every month or so but if you're away or something you're in for a big job(to replace that set of cells).

I'm just gunna discharge my batteries to 50% for the winter and forget them until spring.

But if you commute every day then balancing taps are best built into the pack.
Just my .02
DON

I would disconnect the BMS if the battery sits for long.

Why discharge to 50%? I use my batteries during winter, so they get charged frequently.

I have had good luck with free- standing BMS from Micjael at ev.assemble (using in 12s HEadway pack)

Back