Bosch 36V Drill pack cell replacement, no BMS??

cloudy

10 W
I have an old (2009) GBH 36 VF-LI Bosch hammer drill but the battery has very low capacity. I would like to refurbish this battery for use with the drill. I opened the battery to find a 10S 2P arrangement, with no cell balancing wires at all, there are only two heavy gauge wires going to the positive and negative of the 10S string. The only protection/circuit in the battery appears to be a thermistor, I believe this is used to stop the charger if the battery is hot. I think the third pin on the battery communicates with the charger and provides the battery temperature healthy status.

The charger draws about 180W measured using an AC adapter. This seems a little high for a 2P arrangement. It appears to terminate charging at about 40.7V, (<4.1V per cell).

I was hoping to re-pack with some used LGEBMG 18650 cells I have on hand which I've tested to have better capacity. I have access to a spot welder, can balance the cells, and know enough to do this but am reluctant to build a pack without a cell balancing BMS for charging. Does anyone know why/how a reputable manufacturer makes batteries without cell level BMS? Is it unwise to just re-pack and hope for the best? What other solutions can you suggest?

do you mean lg mg1 cells?

doesnt bosch have samsung 30q in them?

if those are mg1 cells you have i wouldnt put them in a power tool battery, they will just sag out

The replacement cells have LGEBMG11865 written on them. Yes, I think they are the ones you say will sag out. I guess the 10A rating on these cells will be stretched in such a big drill with 2P. I don't know what the peak current draw would be but probably more than 15-20A? I hadn't thought of that. so thanks very much for your response Goatman, saved me wasting any more time with this approach.

I'm not sure of the brand of the existing cells, they are still stuck inside the plastic cell holder at present.

Plan B is to use an old 36V e bike battery to power the drill with a wire lead, I have one I think is 10S8P so hopefully will provide enough current.

Back