Bosch Powerpack 500 rebuild/replacement

bombadero

10 mW
Hello, I recently noticed that the range on both of our e-bikes, a R&M Homage GT Nuvinci, and an HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS20 with Go SwissDrive system, have been greatly diminished and it looks like they are reaching end-of-life on both bikes. The R&M battery is at about 1/10th and the HPV about 1/6th. Both have dual batteries and I haven't checked either second battery yet, but expect to find much the same thing.

I've looked into battery rebuilds, and it looks pretty straightforward--and also about $700 cheaper. All that is really required is a soldering iron, which I have, a battery spot welder, new cells and optionally a multimeter. My questions in this post revolve around the Bosch Powerpack 500 specifically. I have seen successful rebuilds on YouTube of Bosch Classic+ batteries. I have also seen a teardown of a Powerpack 400 to repack it, but that video did not show the battery running successfully after a rebuild, just the teardown. A service local to my area, FTH Power, rebuilds e-bike batteries, but explicitly will not take Bosch or other proprietary batteries. They claim that when you replace the cells with an upgraded chemistry that you have to re-program the BMS firmware and re-flash the BMS. The Bosch Classic+ rebuild I saw didn't require that, and I'm not sure why that would be necessary unless the exact cell model were hard-coded into the firmware for some reason (and which would be very bad software engineering, but who knows). So my questions are:

• Has anyone here successfully rebuilt a Powerpack 400 or 500? What was your experience? Was it successful?
  • The guy in the Classic+ video used a chisel to remove the nickel tabs. Is there a better way to do that?
  • Is there any reason to keep to old tabs rather than convenience? Might it not be better to put in new nickel strips?
  • If I stick with the same make of cells, Panasonic I believe, but higher capacity chemistry, like 35E, can I anticipate problems?

Extra credit for anyone who can answer the same questions about the Go SwissDrive battery for HPV. It could use it's own post, but it's so niche I doubt I will get any hits on it.

Alternatively, I'm willing to build my own entirely new batteries from scratch, but I don't know if the Go SwissDrive or Bosch computers and motors will play nice with a custom battery, even hooked up via their proprietary connectors. But if anyone has experience with that either, I'm very interested in your experience (especially if you succeeded :D).

I've posted this question on Electric Bike Review's forum as well.

I'm following this thread too.
my neighbor needs a new battery and was quoted $1000+$200 shipping for the powerpack

what I found online said the bosch batteries brick themselves if you try to service it yourself (the bsm)

Back