Brake track split. Now what?

MarkJohnston

10 kW
Hey guys my rim blew out today. It was very hot and I was coming down several hills braking hard. My tires are too wide for rims i.e. It was nearly impossible to mount them. Maybe that adds extra strain on the rims. And the heat may have increases.my tire pressure above the max which is what they were at. Anyhow I am in a bad spot now because I rely on this as my only means of transportation. Which means I only have two days off to re build the wheel.

Do any of you guys know a down and dirty rebuild that will get my wheel true (enough). I have a wider rim that accepts the tire much more easily however the braking surface looks shot and there is rust on it and in the spoke holes seems like. Maybe not a good idea.

Let me know and time is of the essence here

I have limited tools, only a spoke tool, and no truing stand. Can I just simple copy the spoke pattern and just tighten up all spokes pretty much to the same pressure and call it good?

Oh yeah I don't trust bike shops. They are monkeys with wrenches and a lot of them won't work on ebikes.i refuse to go to them.

Attachments

• PXL_20220612_051634065.jpg
    PXL_20220612_051634065.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,527
  • PXL_20220612_052511948.jpg
    PXL_20220612_052511948.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,527
  • IMG_20220611_194438_01.jpg
    IMG_20220611_194438_01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,527
Ok I finally dismantled the old wheel. I measured the rim for the BSD and it was fairly consisted throughout even with several different measurements. I also noticed the inner wire bead where the brake track split may have been missing or not sure if that's normal.

I got my new truing stand but it's not very precise like a DT SWISS or park tool stand. Ive managed to true some wheels with it, now I am going to attempt to calculate spoke lengths, buy spokes and rim and put it together.

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_143800.jpg
    IMG_20220809_143800.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20220809_183758.jpg
    IMG_20220809_183758.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20220809_221507.jpg
    IMG_20220809_221507.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 285
MarkJohnston said:
I also noticed the inner wire bead where the brake track split may have been missing or not sure if that's normal.

That's the channel for the pins that hold the rim joint. The channel goes all the way around, but the pins are only at the joint.

I measured the BSD but it was a little difficult to know exactly where to measure from. I got 560 mm in several different measurements. Could be off a slight one or two mm. This is the same exact rim that's on my new hub motor.

So IMO This janky fine china rim is 559. I don't think a mm or two would throw it off. Again this is extremely difficult to measure. I don't think there would be any difference between rim in different production runs. It's the same exact rim, literally. This company hasn't upgraded it's wheel making machine. So theoretically there should be no problems seating the bead!

Ok schwalbe finally sent the tire. But they shipped it to all mangled in a box. Hopefully the bead wasn't damaged...

In any case I have a slight low spot on the front wheel. Do you guys know how to pull out the low spot? I'm trying with this wood working vice.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_103123.jpg
    IMG_20220821_103123.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20220821_103130.jpg
    IMG_20220821_103130.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 162
Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I just had the same issue happen to me again. Because I ended up buying the same kit again, I ended up with the same lame rim. I hit a corner pretty hard at speed and it bent the brake track a bit. I was able to hammer it back in, it didn't pop out too far. I just hope it didn't crack internally, the outside looks fine.

I didn't know how to build wheels then, I do now. This rim is on it's last legs it seems. But new rims that are heavy duty are expensive, not to mention spokes. I do have all the tools now to complete this task, truing stand, and also a tension gauge, expensive tools. I am still bound by the expensive prices of high quality rims and spokes.... :cry:

DO you guys think using this rim still is a good idea? The brake track didn't come out barely at all, it was just from hitting a sharp corner.

There is one hill that scares me that I go on sometimes. It's super steep and lots of traffic, I go 42 MPH down this hill, if that rim were to blow out and I go down at that speed, it will be catastrophic.

You're bottoming your tire out if you manage to bend the rim sidewall. That means either not enough tire pressure or too much stupid. A third strike would be conclusive for the latter.

You're bottoming your tire out if you manage to bend the rim sidewall. That means either not enough tire pressure or too much stupid. A third strike would be conclusive for the latter.
Cheap rim, dumb move, heavy cargo over rear tire. I'm religious about tire pressure. I'll chance it for now, that hill is very well paved, dont expect a bump or pothole there.especially getting bumped in the exact same spot. It only bent out on one side of the rim.

There is one hill that scares me that I go on sometimes. It's super steep and lots of traffic, I go 42 MPH down this hill, if that rim were to blow out and I go down at that speed, it will be catastrophic.

Have you considered slowing down to increase your (and others') safety?

Back