Brushless Scooter Motor vs Hobby RC Motors?

Thanks Ian for the quick replies and enlightenment. I am going to order the controller you recommended.As far as the sprockets mentioned by other post we are already maxed out with that 90T on rear 10T front. Will be good to upgrade to 8mm chain and sprockets as well.Was wondering if you are familiar with Kuberg electric cycles. Neighbor kid got one for xmas. Absolutely beastly torque from this bike. He has the trail-e 36 volt model. It has wheel spinning dirt slinging torque and seems to go forever on a full charge. The batteries are 3x 12v SLA 15ah .Motor is small and obviously brushless says its rated at 3kw the chain and sprockets are 8mm. The spec sheet says the controller is rated at 40 amps. Have not got a good look at the controller to see any info on it it is pretty small (cigarette pack). Other than the frame its basically high end mountain bike components.So the magic is all in the motor and controller obviously.My sons over volted (48v) razor would beat it on a long drag race but the Kuberg is crazy fast off the line and incredibly torqy in the woods which is where they ride.Lots of wheel spin and easy to lift the front end up.It is very good for off road motorcycle training without disturbing the neighbors.What are your thoughts on what they have put together(electrically speaking). We are not going spend 2000.00 dollars on one but I am up for the challenge of hopping up the razor on a reasonable budget for the fun of it.My guess is they are doing a bit of what you suggested with higher volt motor being run with less voltage and well designed controller?????? I would like to know what you think is going on there. Here are few links to bike. Thanks for your input on this.

http://www.kuberg.com/young-rider.html#/triale

https://www.amazon.com/Kuberg-2016-Trial-Electric-Bike/dp/B01BMO2WRQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484942342&sr=8-3&keywords=kuberg

Having a quick look I can not find the rpm of the kuberg motor, But i have seen them and the oset, I would imagine it's max is around 3000rpm and geared lightly to get the 17mph or so top speed but plenty of front end pop and torque.
Swap to a different chain type to get the ratios you need, the boma comes with a 11 tooth t8f sprocket so get a 74tooth t8f rear sprocket and t8f chain and it will be geared at 6.7-1 or around 22mph with your wheel and it will pull wheelies with adults riding, pull any incline no problem.
I have similar size wheel and 5-1 ratio with a 48v 1600w on my scooter and its pulls any hill and front end will come up, throw me off if I whisky throttle it from start, i weigh around 70kgs and its running at 16s or 67 volts 58amp.

The kuberg trail-e has 3kw stamped on the motor just as you suspected. As far as the Boma motor I can not find a retailer in the U.S. Wondering where you got yours. Did you order them from Ali Express or Ali Baba ? So you would still recommend I run the 60v motor at 48volts verses the 48v motor to get the torque Im looking for and still achieve at least 17-20 mph with proper gearing ? Thanks

dirtlife said:
The kuberg trail-e has 3kw stamped on the motor just as you suspected. As far as the Boma motor I can not find a retailer in the U.S. Wondering where you got yours. Did you order them from Ali Express or Ali Baba ? So you would still recommend I run the 60v motor at 48volts verses the 48v motor to get the torque Im looking for and still achieve at least 17-20 mph with proper gearing ? Thanks

Measure your motor length first looking at the rsf motor mounts you need to keep to the same can size or it won't fit in the swing arm.
60v id get all day if you can fit it but the 48v is not a let down, I had mine from the UK so u need to find a local supply can't help on that one.

dirtlife said:
I have a new boma 1600w motor if you are looking for one in the US.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

hypertoyz sells them. His warranty is terrible.

You had bad experience. Share it please.

I just ordered a Burromax TT350R for my niece's Christmas gift.

I think 350 watts will be fine for a few years and the slow setting for a while but when the day for more power comes, I want to have a plan.

My neice is a small person, my sister is a 5' and my brother-in-law is about 5' 4" so also a small person. I kind of doubt my neice will ever weigh more than 110 lbs (50 kg).

What kind of power and kV should I need to make her bike a lot of fun, top out over 25 mph and climb steep hills at 20+? It's not a race bike and not meant for heavy duty off road so no need to be too excessive.

I plan to build a nice battery to go with the upgrade so she has good range to go with the power but hopefully I won't have to go over 48v just to keep the cell count down.

Back