Budget eTourer/eCommuter

Very few pics of the build, sorry, and the build is not entirely complete (mullet hydro disk brake hack to complete for better front hub motor clearance), but this is "Buster" my Reid Urban X2 converted to electric with a TDR Moto, 36v, 250w front wheel kit and the current battery, a grossly overweight 15Ah. I know most here are riding higher powers, but my bike has to be 100% Aussie street legal as I don't own a car and the cops here can confiscate if they think they're a better engineer than the LBS mechanic or the lifetime bike hacker.

eBuster.jpeg
Current specs...
Top Tube Length575
Seat Tube Length510
Head Tube Length160
Seat Tube Angle72
Head Tube Angle75
RC Length435
BB Drop75
Fork Offset48
Front Centre628
Wheelbase1082
Full Fork Length405
Tyres are boring, not quite supple enough 700x35c. Yes the front rim was part of the kit, might lace the hub into the original rim one day, bigger fish to fry. Completed in May this year, giving me enough good weather before the Aussie winter to get about 3 shakedown runs and a couple of weekly commutes. Have only just started to really put some klicks on in the last few weeks as spring... well, springs. This is the bike (before electrics) that I did the Great Ocean Rd on, from Melbourne to Port Campbell, then up to Colac to catch the train home.

Yeah, a Reid. Australian riders sneer at these, especially now that they're owned by the Spotlight/Anaconda chain but their mid to upper range bikes, while not a Surly or a Salsa are bonkers value for money! And Buster has been such a reliable beast. Hasn't even needed a bottom bracket yet, after 8 years as my "car." It had to have one for the electric conversion because the PAS required a wider clearance, but the old one is in my parts bin, too smooth to throw out. Yeah, it's aluminium, yeah, it's ca mullet 1x9 (11 to 46), but it's a perfect fit, handles like a dream because of its urban bomber geometry and not too heavy in stock mass (13.5kg/29lb) before racks and electrics.

Handlebars look weird because of a slight lean against the box hedge. They're normal, midwidth drop. The stem is a Merocca suspension stem with the second strength spring.

Back