Budget friendlier option than Keyde?

jetzki

10 mW
Discussion moved over here:

----

I was originally looking at the Keyde P160 because it has the controller and battery built into the hub itself, a very neat all in one system. I didn't want cables all over the place and a controller box.

I then decided that their P110 motor with their mid sized bottle battery would be more suitable for my speed requirements as this one goes up to 750w.
Screenshot 2024-03-27 133639.png
Screenshot 2024-03-27 133656.png
The cost of the motor is $239 and the battery is $359, shipping to me in the UK is $126. Giving a total of over $700. I feel like this is much too expensive for what I'll be getting. I can buy an entire ebike for the same amount of money.

What I like about Keyde motors is that the controller is built into the hub and all you need is the hub, the battery and one cable between them. The battery just looks like a water bottle. If you hide the cable well behind your chainstay no one will even know you have an ebike. It gives you a very stealthy set up, this is what I want.

Can anyone suggest a more budget friendly option? or does someone know if I can just build my own bottle battery to use with their motor?

Last edited:
No, you aren't getting a lot of bang for the buck with that kit. Batteries that can fit inside the hub motor or in a water bottle are going to have very limited range and current output. And controllers inside the hub are hard to service, replace, or upgrade. These days in California, more than half the bicycles I see on the road are ebikes. There is no real need to be stealthy unless you are trying to fool your friends into believing that you are climbing that hill under your own power.

Interesting to see motor makers advertising 'max power' and not just continuous power..
Great efficiency on this motor if the eff % is true!

I say ask them just this:
Can i use my existing 36v battery instead of the one in the kit?

PS: trust me, you don't want anything with the battery and controller inside the motor.. batteries, controllers, and motors all make heat. When they have to share the same case, everything needs to get rated for way less watts in order for everything to not burn up, which very few manufacturers get right... so these setups tend to be heavy, low power, and not reliable.

On the other hand, if you take one of these setups that was properly engineered and run the battery/controller out of the motor, you can take advantage of this extra thermal headroom and pump more power in.

PPS: Keyde is not known for quality hub motors, but this may have improved.

Is there a list of recommended motors around here somewhere? I really don't want to make a post asking what to buy I feel this forum is cluttered enough already 😂

The more we clutter it, the better google can help us answer the internet's questions (y)

I'm sorry, we don't have a 'list' that makes it easy currently, we have plans for a knowledgebase in the future tho.

Ask away and be as specific about what you're looking for as reasonably possible.

Did you also just make another similar post elsewhere on this forum? If so, then no, that motor will not work for you. It's too wide for your 120mm dropout width.

You have stated several competing priorities: maximum stealth, high performance, high speed, small motor, small battery, low budget. Suggest you rate your priorities in descending order.

PS: You will by far get the best assistance if you clearly state your requirements; to include:
  • Max speed and how long at that speed
  • Cruising speed and how long at that speed
  • Acceleration requirements
  • Hills? Incline and distance.
  • Your weight
  • Bike and payload weight

That should get it started. ;)

Did you also just make another similar post elsewhere on this forum? If so, then no, that motor will not work for you. It's too wide for your 120mm dropout width.

You have stated several competing priorities: maximum stealth, high performance, high speed, small motor, small battery, low budget. Suggest you rate your priorities in descending order.

PS: You will by far get the best assistance if you clearly state your requirements; to include:
  • Max speed and how long at that speed
  • Cruising speed and how long at that speed
  • Acceleration requirements
  • Hills? Incline and distance.
  • Your weight
  • Bike and payload weight

That should get it started. ;)
To be fair, neptronix told him to go ahead and create the second thread asking for advice on what to buy and I think his understanding and requirements evolved after what he learned on this thread. He stated his use case in the second thread. He is a Youtuber that chases other (faster) cyclists around London and records them. He wants to be able to go 25-30 mph for 20 minutes at a time and is currently able to maintain 20+ mph without a motor.

Shengyi SX2 be so ideal for that use case with the standard winding and 52v battery on a 700c or 29er wheel..
Quiet relative to other mid drives and super efficient.. it would be my choice for that speed range if i didn't live in the mountains.. :)

Back