• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Build 1.5 Xtracycle Time

Jethro56

100 W
I've just ordered a Freeradical Commuter Classic Kit to add to my Giant Sedona 9C 2807 Rear Hub Build. At present I have the E-Bikekit torque arm intalled. I had to install it in compression instead of tension. I assume tension would be the most effective method. Is the torque arm I have a good match for the FreeRadical? If not what would you recomend?

Another question: What would be an Ideal mounting for my Ammo-Box 12S 4P LIPO setup on the Freeradical?

I put my Ping 48v 15ahr right behind the seat on the xtracycle/townie conversion. It sits on the rear stays on top of the old brake mount posts. It tucks nicely in there in front of the snapdeck. (Err. It's just tied in there with bailing twine for now) My 9 yr old can ride behind me w/o interference.

Weight is central on the bike, fairly low, and the whole thing is quite neutral feeling. The plain regular xtracycle single kickstand situation is plenty stable.

9c 2807 rear hub. I put the dnp 11-28 tooth freewheel on there. Didn't need to mess with the front chainrings.

Mostly I use it like a 3 speeder, just twist shifting the left shifter for the front chainring.

I have an Xtracycle with a Stokemonkey kit. I have the battery mounted in the forward triangle in a canvas tool bag I found on the 'net. The battery fits great. I used to have the battery in the inside pouch of the Xtracycle pannier on the right side but there is a place on the FreeRadical that eventually rubbed a hole in the pannier and through the battery housing. You can put it there temporarily, but I would not recommend leaving it there unless you reinforce the pannnier on the outside and possibly the battery housing.

By the way, an Xtracycle and ebike combo are killer. I commute to work on mine nearly every day and can stop for groceries, etc. any time without even thinking about space.

For the past five years, of near daily use, the Xtracycle has provided outstanding satisfaction.
It's definitely one of the most useful bicycle accessories I've ever owned.
An electric motor is the best accessory for an Xtracycle hauling heavy up hills.

I'm not running regen so I'm using only lock washers and nuts to hold the X5 axle. Just make sure to tighten it a few times after installing or replacing it.

Back