CA3 cycle analyst connections

djc165

10 mW
Hi All,

Could you please give some advice for connecting a BeamTS to the CA3? I have contacted Britt at Santa Monica but not yet had a reply.

I am trying to connect a BeamTS (torque sensor) but the connector on the CA3 is a 5 pin (inc rpm wire not needed) instead of a 4 pin I need to connect to my BeamTS.

A friend of mine is happy to change and fit a 4 pin connector but wants to be sure he doesn’t fry everything by connecting the wrong wires.

In the drawing attached, the name descriptions of the wires for two components are different and do not correspond. Could you let me know which wires connect each other?

uPrUXnu.jpg

Pulse output (white) = ?
Signal (green) = ?
5v (red) = ?
Common (black) = ?

And is it correct to connect the (BeamTS) 5v to the CA3 10v wire?

Cheers,

Dom

djc165 said:
Could you please give some advice for connecting a BeamTS to the CA3?
This may have some help
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67086
It notes that the BeamTS has a throttle signal output, so you could just hook it up to your throttle input on the CAv3, then setup the throttle scaling in the CA's menus to match your needs.

I have contacted Britt at Santa Monica but not yet had a reply.
If you mean the company that made them, I tried to reach them to buy one some time ago (years now) and couldn't find a valid way to contact them (all the ones I did find got no reply, ever).

In the drawing attached, the name descriptions of the wires for two components are different and do not correspond. Could you let me know which wires connect each other?
Can't see your image. If you attach the image directly to your post, anyone that can see your post can see your image.
And is it correct to connect the (BeamTS) 5v to the CA3 10v wire?
If you connect a 5v powered device's 5v supply to a 10v output supply, you'll probably destroy the 5v device. So, no, you don't want to do that. ;)

If the BeamTS is powered by 5v, then you need to connect it to a 5v source. The CAv3 has this available on the throttle connector and ebrake connectors, possibly others. If you like, you could also open up the CAv3 and move the wire that goes to the 10v pad over to a 5v pad. Then you can also change the connector on the CAv3 itself to match your BeamTS connector, leaving out any wires you don't use.

However, as noted above, you probably wont' need to use that connector at all.

If you prefer to use it thru the PAS/torque sensor input, I think the CAv3 has a BeamTS option in it's menu in at least one of the firmware versions (don't recall which one), that will make it simpler to use.

Hi all,

I'm hoping you might be able to sort me in the right direction I'm having?

I have a Gmac motor with a Cycle Analyst v3.1. I have connected a BeamTS Torque sensor) to the CA and a universal PAS/cadence sensor to the outputted from the BeamTS.

The "PD" polarity direction icon in the CA3 display in the PAS device set-up screen does not toggle when the sensor goes passed the magnets (in either direction or either side of magnet ring).

According to Justin's Grin video, he tells us they must toggle otherwise there may be a hardware or wiring problem! I checked all and cannot find an issue.

Do you have any suggestions to help fix this?

Any help massively appreciated!

Since your new problem is directly related to your previous thread, it's been merged with it, since you haven't yet replied to that one; a reply to the previous post indicating how you have setup your system, including CA settings related to PAS and throttle, and the specific wiring you have used, will help us understand your setup and help solve your issue(s).

My guess based on the results you're seeing is that wiring is probably wrong, but until you post what wiring you have actually done, and all of the specific hardware being used that's involved, and what settings are in each of the relevant CA menus, we can't do more than make guesses, and any suggestions to fix things would be guesses as well.

djc165 said:
Does anyone here have a BeamTS programming cable?

Avitt thread below shows how to make one
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67086

He uses an FTDI Serial to USB adapter like the one below
https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-Adapter-FT232RL-Compatible/dp/B07BBPX8B8/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYmJu_K67wIVZ_HjBx1ehAcfEAAYAiAAEgLrZfD_BwE&hvadid=153660063088&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032109&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11297520631923183454&hvtargid=kwd-54019468670&hydadcr=18008_9429944&keywords=serial+to+usb+ftdi&qid=1616106671&sr=8-8

Back