Cameras Are Cyclists’ ‘Black Boxes’ in Accidents

TylerDurden

100 GW
Cameras Are Cyclists’ ‘Black Boxes’ in Accidents
By NICK WINGFIELD
New York Times
Published: July 20, 2012

bikecam-articleLarge.jpg

WASHINGTON — When Evan Wilder went flying onto the pavement during his bicycle commute one morning here, he didn’t have time to notice the license plate of the pickup truck that had sideswiped him after its driver hurled a curse at him. Nor did a witness driving another car.

But the video camera Mr. Wilder had strapped to his head caught the whole episode. After watching a recording of the incident later, Mr. Wilder gave the license plate number to the police and a suspect was eventually charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

“Without the video, we wouldn’t know who did it,” said Mr. Wilder, 33, who was bruised and scraped in the crash.

Cyclists have long had a rocky coexistence with motorists and pedestrians, who often criticize bike riders for a confrontational attitude, and for blowing through stop signs or otherwise exempting themselves from the rules of the road. Now small cameras — the cycling equivalent of the black box on an airplane — are becoming an intermediary in the relationship, providing high-tech evidence in what is sometimes an ugly contest between people who ride the roads on two wheels and those who use four.

Video from these cameras has begun to play an invaluable role in police investigations of a small number of hit-and-runs and other incidents around the country, local authorities say. Lawyers who specialize in representing bicyclists say they expect the use of cameras for this purpose to increase as awareness of the devices goes up and their prices, now starting at around $200, come down.

Some riders even argue that the technology will encourage cyclists to keep themselves in check during dust-ups with drivers.

“I know my actions before and after some event are going to be recorded if I’m the one being a jerk,” Mr. Wilder said. “It makes me want to be careful.”

Bicyclists say cameras can also deter motorist harassment, a problem that many complain about and that cities like Los Angeles and Berkeley, Calif., have sought to combat with new laws.

“It’s a fact of life that on American roads that you get punked, cut off purposely, harassed, not once but on a regular basis,” said Bob Mionske, a former Olympic cyclist who is now a lawyer representing bicyclists in Portland, Ore. “If motorists start to hear about bikes having cameras, they’re going to think twice about running you off the road.”

Gary Souza, a cyclist in Sacramento, said something like that happened to him. He wears a camera on his helmet during his 50-minute commute each way between his home and office. He began riding with the device this year after buying a $7,000 velomobile, a three-wheeled recumbent cycle with a shell around it.

“Even though it’s insured, if anything happens I figured I wanted to get it on camera,” said Mr. Souza, who works in information technology for the state of California.

A couple of months ago, Mr. Souza said, a motorist became upset after the cyclist crossed in front of his vehicle to make a turn. The driver got out of his car to confront Mr. Souza, who pointed to the camera on his head.

“I said, ‘Don’t be stupid,’ ” Mr. Souza said. “He quickly ran back to his car. I’m certain I avoided a couple blows.”

The new cameras, which have started to catch on in the last few years, are meant for shooting video and photos while skiing, surfing and doing other sports. Likewise, many cyclists use them to memorialize their rides.

GoPro and Contour make popular models; GoPro says sales through bike retailers have nearly doubled so far this year from the same period last year.

One of the most prominent bicycle crash videos so far was recorded in April by two Brazilian riders who were climbing the hills of Berkeley when a black car knocked them down and sped off. Neither bicyclist was seriously injured, according to the Berkeley police. The video of the crash has been viewed more than 362,000 times on YouTube.

The Berkeley police identified the car’s license plate and later found the man the vehicle was registered to. They believe he falsely reported his car stolen to cover up for the driver of the car and are still investigating the incident, said Capt. Andrew Greenwood, a spokesman for the police.

On a recent Friday evening, as the streets of downtown Washington were jammed with cars heading home, Mr. Wilder pedaled away wearing a camera on his forehead, looking like a spelunker wearing a headlamp. He scooted between parked cars and traffic on the road, sometimes with less than a foot of space between him and moving vehicles.

The video Mr. Wilder shot of his crash in Washington, which occurred last August, at first did not seem as if it would help much in tracking down the motorist who had struck him. But Mr. Wilder, who works in the photography department of National Geographic, examined the video frame by frame until he discovered a clear picture of the vehicle’s license plate, captured while he was lying on the ground.

The District of Columbia’s office of the attorney general charged the motorist, John W. Diehl, with leaving the scene of an accident. Federal prosecutors, who handle felony cases in the district, are also looking into the case.

Mr. Diehl’s lawyer, Adam R. Hunter, declined to comment. Mr. Diehl has pleaded not guilty, said a spokesman for the attorney general.

Mr. Wilder said, “Most cyclists don’t use cameras so Mr. Diehl may have assumed he could assault and drive away anonymously.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/technology/bicyclists-using-cameras-to-capture-accidents.html?_r=1

Just plain awesome. 8)
I should get a camera for my commutes to and from work.
Thanks for sharing

I use a Contour 1080p. If the car is passing within up to 10 feet, there's always a frame with a clear depiction of the plate number. Perhaps chances go up if I mount the camera to the left handle bar - but I usually have it on the helmet.

Discipline to manage it is difficult. I got a 32GB memory chip during an Amazon super sale - can't recall the price but it was really cheap. Now the limiter is the battery. Have to recharge like every 2 hours of riding. That's 2 commutes. So, I don't use it much on my "normal" drive, where I suppose the drivers are used to seeing me and are set in how they behave. I use it more when I travel at a new time or place.

MattyCiii said:
Discipline to manage it is difficult. I got a 32GB memory chip during an Amazon super sale - can't recall the price but it was really cheap. Now the limiter is the battery. Have to recharge like every 2 hours of riding. That's 2 commutes. So, I don't use it much on my "normal" drive, where I suppose the drivers are used to seeing me and are set in how they behave. I use it more when I travel at a new time or place.

should be able to pick up a 32GB microsd card for $25 or under these days. dealnews.com is a good place to look to pickup one, they usually find one at that price at least once a week, though i don't follow the site frequently anymore these days, but I was seeing them for $30 3-4 months ago. And, with the handlebar mount and running off your electric bike (maybe just charging off it, to be safe and not overdischarge), you could find it pretty easy to maintain. nice thing to consider.

Also, if you have an older cannon camera, though not designed for it, you could use CHDK custom firmware and have settings that allow it to operate more properly as that sort of video camera (might even be within the regular firmware to run a long video like that.) If you want it to last a bit longer, you could use a waterproof casing from ebay, since quite a few of those had mass produced underwater casings. Anyway, unless you have the parts it won't be that cheap, nor too durable anyway, so this is just a sidenote.

Do they record at night without some illumination? Half of my commute is in the dark, but with reflectorized license plates common they could show up with bright red tail lights aimed to the side. :?:

The fingers said:
Do they record at night without some illumination? Half of my commute is in the dark, but with reflectorized license plates common they could show up with bright red tail lights aimed to the side. :?:
Some cameras can see Infra Red light. The kind of light in remote controls. They even make IR LED rings you can place around the lens of a camera. So, you can illuminate the license plate of the car and the driver does not even know it.

I'm not sure all of our police are as enthusiastic about the use of cameras when their behavior becomes questionable.
You might need a live video stream to a secure server in order to preserve evidence they'd rather not see.

Zoot Katz said:
I'm not sure all of our police are as enthusiastic about the use of cameras when their behavior becomes questionable.
You might need a live video stream to a secure server in order to preserve evidence they'd rather not see.

I googled, "would a micro sd card survive being swallowed." Sounds like...actually, yes! And even if it dies on the outside, a pro could remount the internals.

Just came to mind, because I was going to mention that I have heard of people hiding one of those in their mouth (less extreme). And, I've seen them as cheaper than SD cards of late (32gb microsd hit <$30 before 32gb SD *of the same speed*, and you can snag a microsd-->Sd adapter easily.) I only guess this odd pricing situation is because they're produced in higher volume because of cellphones. Or it was a particular random occurrence in the market.

When cameras are mounted to the bike they are much less likely to notice them vs in somones hand.
Also always try to talk to cops in front of their cars no beside them. so their dash cam vids you.

@MattyCiii
You haven't rigged up a bigger battery for it yet???

Kin said:
Zoot Katz said:

I googled, "would a micro sd card survive being swallowed." Sounds like...actually, yes! And even if it dies on the outside, a pro could remount the internals.
In a recent case here, involving a tandem hang-gliding accident, the pilot swallowed the SD card. He was kept in jail about 3 days before it passed.
The RCMP claims they've been unable to extract the data.

MattyCiii said:
Now the limiter is the battery. Have to recharge like every 2 hours of riding.
Why not hook it's charger up to the main pack? Many of those little AC chargers will run on a lot lower than wall voltage, and often on DC. This is especially helpful if you can actualy run the camera off the charger, even without the battery. If not, you could get or build a DC-DC that would run the camera directly off the pack, you would have effectively no limitations, except for whatever your pack time limit is.

For regular bicycle use, an external battery hooked up to the camera would be the only easy solution I cna think of.

Awesome article. Thanks!

Although, out here in vancouver I think we have more idiot cyclists than the norm. I ride a hopped up e-scooter (thanks lyen!!), and I blow past most cyclists, but I always make sure i have plenty of room...i've followed cyclists for blocks out of courtesy, just because i think it's rude and unsafe to blast past people without a good margin of room for error. After waiting to pass some slowpoke weaving in and out of both sides of the road, I finally get past them and sure enough at the next light they pull up right in front of me, and i'm back to waiting to pass. I just wanna smack em' upside the head. I show common courtesy on the road, and they seldom return the favour.

Another thing out here is the hipster fixie crowd. Lots of kids getting fixed-gear track bikes, half of them with no brakes, and they ride right down main st. texting their friends, no hands, no helmet. All the time yelling and shaking their fists at cars. Well, guess what slick...there's a designated bike route 2 blocks over on ontario street. No cars at all. Vancouver's bike routes are awesome actually. But the hipsters don't use em cuz it's not as cool. And while we're at it, put on a helmet. I have 2 friends now that have had staples put in their skulls from cracking them on pavement with no helmet on. One was in a coma for a couple of days...seriously...

Don't get me wrong...I'd rather have jerk cyclists than jerk drivers any day...the potential to harm and mame is much higher in a big heavy vehicle. And a bit of attitude isn't a bad thing; the critical mass rides have really pushed the authorities here to engage in real city planning for cyclists. This is good stuff.

But it's getting to the point where the city has actually done the work to support cyclists, and most motorists out here are respectful of cycle traffic, but the cyclists aren't using the routes that the city made for them, and continue to pull stupid stunts and ride on streets that are frankly dangerous for cars, never mind a cyclist. It's almost like they're looking for an accident to verify their bad attitude towards everyone else on the road. The cyclists here fought hard for these designated cycling routes...so USE THEM ALREADY. And it's high time the cyclists and the motorists dropped all the attitude and started to share the road. The infrastructure is in place. Vancouver is aiming to be the greenest city in the world by 2020 (http://vancouver.ca/greenestcity/) so they're really supporting alternative transportation.

But back to the topic (man, I should really not post when I have this much liquor in me :) ) I think that everyone should have a camera...even the cars...I think it'll really help with this ongoing battle that really doesn't need to exist anymore. But like Zoot Katz mentioned, you might want to keep the fact that the whole incident was recorded to yourself. Hidden helmet cams? I have no doubt whatsoever that the cops would just hold you in jail had you swallowed your sd card and just destroy it once you passed it.

You know, this all reminds me of when snowboarding started...the battle between the snowboarders and the skiers...at some point both parties realized the battle was over and it was time to get on with life...

Zoot Katz said:
Kin said:
Zoot Katz said:

In a recent case here, involving a tandem hang-gliding accident, the pilot swallowed the SD card. He was kept in jail about 3 days before it passed.
The RCMP claims they've been unable to extract the data.

Sounds like a perfect job for a cop...

picking through shit. I'll bet that they get hazardous pay for it too. No wonder they get to retire at 50 with 90% pay. :roll:

This seemed like a good camera setup. Yeah, crotch angle not so much but the front/rear setup seems useful for best traffic coverage.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41661

Lessss said:
get to retire at 50 with 90% pay
Na thats typically dumbass california crap, politicians bribing cops to contue looking the other way and to continue violently suppressing any grass roots democratic movements.

:mrgreen:

That's one way to look at it.

:mrgreen:

Ykick said:
This seemed like a good camera setup. Yeah, crotch angle not so much but the front/rear setup seems useful for best traffic coverage.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41661

If you look at his other videos you'll see he's just using a GoPro Chesty mount. But since he's reclined back on his recumbant bike it does look like it's a crotch angle but it's actually just above his stomach.

Nice idea, I have a small camera, and it wouldn't be too hard to mount to my bike or my helmet.

I may take it for a test run and see how shaky it is, the battery is supposed to last 1 hour so it would cover my 30 min commute.

I can even charge it at work as it has a USB charger, if I can get some footage on youtube I'll post it here.

Back