Can anyone identify which kit/manufacturer this is?

marks

1 W
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/500Watt-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion-Kit-Motorized-ebike_W0QQitemZ260329446384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item260329446384&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I've tried emailing the seller and unfortunately he doesn't know alot about the item.

Ideally I want to know the manufacturer and/or if it's geared (which I don't think it is)

Since golden motor is usually painted black, I'll guess its a nine continent, or a knockoff of either one. 98% chance its a brushless direct drive motor of some kind. After watching the slide show, I see what looks like golden motors and aotema hubs on the bikes. Gotta love ebay. I'm sure he'll send you a motor of some kind. :D

The motors themselves look like Unite brushless, but who knows since the Chinese companies copy each other so much.

John

Is unite the golden motor manufacturer? I hadn't heard of them.

dogman said:
Is unite the golden motor manufacturer? I hadn't heard of them.

I have no idea regarding GM. Since GM doesn't actually manufacture anything, they probably have multiple motor suppliers. You've heard of Unite's motors, eg that's what safe uses, unless his is a lesser quality knockoff of Unite's 1020 brushed motors. They weren't too eager to sell samples, so I haven't tested any of their brushless stuff. One of them is a smaller one quite common in e-bike kits, and in 2008 they came out with a 1kw for bikes, and some e-moto hubs too. Some other ones I wanted to test were some 1.5kw through 3kw heavy duty brushless motors for chain driven delivery trikes and other light vehicles. The ones I looked at had sub 1500rpm speeds at their power rating, and while in the 12-20lb range, you wouldn't notice the weight much using a low bottom bracket mount unless you're one of those into carrying your bike or prefer only "pedal assist". I prefer occasional human assist myself.

John

Thanks for your comments John!

If only I could understand the pricing, I'd be tempted just to try one. I have previously only been hunting for a Bafang geared as the last bit of my ride home is a 12% incline (it's a 2.5km hill that gets harder and harder, it's very unpleasant) but due to pricing and difficulty just getting one shipped, I'm inclined to give this 500w unit a shot.

I'll try again to find out what brand they are from the seller, though this time I might ask him if it's an "Unite"

Those are direct drive motors. You wanted geared in some fashion for a hill, with variable gearing being the ideal. I'm starting the build of an ocean to ocean bike with mountains in between, and my realistic choices are 2 motors with one of them having variable gearing for the mountains, or one big motor with variable gearing. I guess a third alternative could be a variable wiring scheme in a single motor like Dr. Bass is soon to attempt. The alternatives 4 and 5 aren't acceptable to me: One is a motor that's big enough to get over a mountain without variable gearing, and the other is to become a skinny cyclist type with tree trunk legs who doesn't really even need a motor, but has one to pretend he's Lance and go up the mountain fast, but with tons of pedal power.

John

Hmm, well currently I ride it with just pedal power alone, it's just my back that doesn't like it - I'm thinking 500w of ungeared assist is going to turn a 12 degree incline into hopefully an 8 or so?

It really is tough to get an ebike kit (kit as in throttles, hub, etc) in Australia for a reasonable price, I figure I can try this kit and if it doesn't work out by then I'll be able to pick up a geared bafang or tongxin or <insert name here> standalone motor.

Standard prices for kits in Australia seem to like to start at $800 with the very rare exceptions.

dogman said:
Since golden motor is usually painted black, I'll guess its a nine continent, or a knockoff of either one. 98% chance its a brushless direct drive motor of some kind. After watching the slide show, I see what looks like golden motors and aotema hubs on the bikes. Gotta love ebay. I'm sure he'll send you a motor of some kind. :D
Hah, yeah I asked him which one it actually was and that wasn't answered either.

Golden Motor is selling a small geared motor like the bafang (if not the bafang) for like eighty something bucks (USD) and shipping something like $50.

Of course it is only the motor, but it may be cheaper to have it laced where you are.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8292

If you aren't all that broke, just try the kit, it should make the hill easier, though not effortless. And when you get to the hill you will have more energy left than usual. As long as it's not a 250 watt, it should do hills up to 10% pretty well, especially at 48v.

dogman said:
If you aren't all that broke, just try the kit, it should make the hill easier, though not effortless. And when you get to the hill you will have more energy left than usual. As long as it's not a 250 watt, it should do hills up to 10% pretty well, especially at 48v.
Well, my skull may be broken by my wife if I waste money :) It's a valid point though, if I can actually figure out how to order the one I want at a reasonable price I may just give it a shot.

I really would prefer a mini-geared-rear-hub though :(

marks said:
Well, my skull may be broken by my wife if I waste money :) It's a valid point though, if I can actually figure out how to order the one I want at a reasonable price I may just give it a shot.I really would prefer a mini-geared-rear-hub though :(

Attachments

• checkout.jpg
    checkout.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,437
That 250 watt motor would do it, I meant stay away from 250 watt gearless. Have fun. Even if you have a few costly hiccups along the way, show your wife what it really costs to drive a car one mile. Yes a good ebike is not that cheap, but the cost per mile is very cheap, and you will find yourself doing things on the bike you used to consider too far to ride before.

As Dogman stated, unless you're spending thousands, an Ebike can always be cost justified. I'd go a big step further than Dogman and point out that it's cheaper that operating your pedal bike or walking, even including amortization of the most expensive batteries. The energy's gotta come from somewhere and electricity is worlds cheaper than food, plus the conversion to mechanical energy is more efficient too.

John

Back