Cannot get PMAC motor with sensor replacement to work with fardriver

absence209

1 mW
Hey guys,

recently I purchased a Motenergy ME1401 motor which comes with a sine cosine resolver sensor. I replaced the sensor (RMB29AC) with the same chip that outputs 4 pole UVW commutation outputs (2x commutations per revolution, sensor model RMB29EB).

I connected this to a fardriver ND72260 to run and it doesn't rotate properly. In the settings I selected 4 poles and also did a auto learn sequence for like 5 mins (it wouldn't rotate, it just either sits there and snap between 3-4 points). after exiting autolearn I tried running and it does run, it spins but it sounds like it's grinding something or like a engine running, it doesn't sound normal at all. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. I tried all sorts of phase wire configurations and hall configurations. I've attached a video of what it sounds like in order help show what the problem is.

I am now suspecting it might have something to do with the cogging torque of the motor being to strong ( it takes serious power to turn the shaft by hand even one indent when nothing is connected to the phase wires). I know this might be a bit ridiculous but im kinda out of options and don't know what to do at this point.

I am now suspecting it might have something to do with the cogging torque of the motor being to strong ( it takes serious power to turn the shaft by hand even one indent when nothing is connected to the phase wires). I know this might be a bit ridiculous but im kinda out of options and don't know what to do at this point.
Sounds like it has shorted phase windings, or damage to the phase wires themselves allowing a short. It should not take that much force to turn most motor shafts by hand, for motors of this size without a gearbox between the shaft and motor multiplying the force required.

the motor is huge, about 9x9x9 inch and weighs 43lbs.

I have two of them, both brand new, and they both require a good amount force to turn. I also purchased them from thunderstruckev, a pretty reputable store in my area and they confirmed it does work with a sevcon.

I'm using a fardriver controller because the sevcon+communication wires would cost over $1.5k

Back