• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

Carry a workshop on your E-bike rack.

Bertoa

100 µW
This is a project concerning most of us bikers. I just posted this on the Instructables site.
See:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-carry-a-workshop-on-the-rear-rack-of-my-bicy/
The opening text is:
This, all in one workbench, worktable and toolbox is born out of necessity, to drive environment friendly to the local Repair Café. As repairer of small electro/electronic devices I went by car, because of the toolbox, workmate, etc. The idea came by combining bike and workshop. The 'all in one' concept was growing gradualy. After the first sketches I couldn't wait to see this design on the luggage carrier of my bike. The 5 minutes video gives an impression of 'the making off' this prototype. I hope many of you will be inspired to make this new 'piece of furniture' for yourself.

Attachments

• Combi640txtflat.jpg
    Combi640txtflat.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 443
See, now there is a really good idea.

And if you need on-the-go-repair, you could attach a sidecar so you can use the bench while an apprentice does the riding. ;) Might need a "fence" around the edge of the desktop to keep stuff from sliding off, though.

I've seen pics of similar workbenches on the backs of bikes in places like India. Mobile businesses for any service that you can imagine. Its a great idea, and I can really see these being made for a Yuba Mundo...

My town has two hardcore ebike riders. Me, and a guy who got into it earier than I did by years. He has a large trailer he tows behind his hubmotor bike, and carries a mobile computer repair service in it. The trailer is pretty large, because he often has to carry some CPU's back to the shop for more extensive work. He limits his client list to downtown buisnesses, so the miles he travels is not including the climb up the hill to where I live.

He's been doing this about 6 years now, and has been written up in the local news several times. He could easily write off a car, but isn't it better to pay taxes on more profit?

Other buisnesses that could easily go ebike mobile, would be household pest controll, maid service, yard work, pool service, any kind of service that takes a moderate size tool kit.

How did your friend park his ebike?

Does he have 2 mega locks for the bike and the trailer? My experience is that very often they have stairs and it's a pain in the ass to carry anything heavy

My lugage bag (+ lock and rainponcho) on the rear rack is nearly 3Kg; making a strong and cheap construction of 3Kg, that's unrealistic. The project is made with materials you can get everywhere. Maybe the aluminium has to change for steelpipes in some regions. Not many City-people have space for trailers in their home. The garanty is lost when using trailers behind E-bikes. The project will do something to the easy car use, for repair and install job's, specialy in the rich countries. In India they found their way solving their shop transportation problems, but maybe this 'rear rack workshop' is a shop oppertunity for some.

Only one multi story building in this town. The trailer is like a big lockbox so it's secure in this town. Not much need for a mega bike lock in daylight either. Las Cruces is shockingly crime free compared to El Paso, just 40 miles away. The Texas/mexican theives do come up here, but mostly just for cars or serious shoplifting.

Bear in mind, the rig does look home built. So sorta theft proof from the get go. Nobody imagines anything of value inside.

Good job. Very inventive.

Imagine some who is semi or fully retired using that for some sort of small business. Small engine repair would come to mind. As well as some of the suggestions above.

It would be a nice life.

Thats awesome. And with a coffee machine cargo bike, or beer bike, you can be wherever.
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/epicure-food-bike-gallery-20120301-1u4t2.html

Back