Chain guard cracked off, need help

Bogus

1 W
More problems over here :(

My chain guard cracked off mid ride today. I wasn't even shifting! I have this bike:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Schwinn-Sidewinder-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Matte-Black-Green/26999374
I'm not sure what dimension the replacement guard should be. I would really appreciate the help.

I would go on ebay or amazon and order one for the number of teeth your big gear (called a chainring) has. There are two common mounting hole spacings and you'll want to measure yours so it will mount up. I think it will be either 103 or 110mm. That is if there is no warranty you can and want to take advantage of?
Ps, I like the aluminum 'bash guard' on ebay by driveline, but it might be overkill.

I'm gonna skip the warranty service cause they'll just send me another plastic one that will break as soon as the chain slips.

There's four mounting points for the chain guard, not sure if that narrows down what measurement it is. I'll get a ruler on it tomorrow evening

Bogus said:
I'm gonna skip the warranty service cause they'll just send me another plastic one that will break as soon as the chain slips.

There's four mounting points for the chain guard, not sure if that narrows down what measurement it is. I'll get a ruler on it tomorrow evening
If the chain is slipping of the chain wheel and hitting the chain guard, then you need to adjust the front derailleur stops. And probably the back one also. I can't recall any new bike that didn't need something done to them. With the stops set proper, the chain should never come off. On every bike you buy, you should check all the adjustments. there's almost always something off, from derailleurs to wheel bearings and BB bearing too tight and lack of lubrication. Once setup properly, you'll get years of good use from even the cheapest bike.

Mine cracked off too. I was riding one day in very cold 10F weather and my pant leg went over the top of it causing it to crack off. It was so brittle from the cold it just snapped.

It was a cheap $20 crankset so there was no replacement guard available.

I made a new one out of acrylic. Just traced the circles on a sheet of acrylic and cut it out with a jigsaw. Alot stronger than the original and much cheaper than buying one since I had the acrylic already.

Back