• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Changed settings on infineon 12fet controller fail

Toango

100 mW
I'm working on my first build and I have a infineon 12 fet controller IRFB4110 controlling a ebike kit 350w geared motor.

I got the bike to run fine yesterday but I decided to try to program the default settings on to the controller to see if i can do it last night. and now this morning the settings make the motor run briefly noisily for 2 seconds and then no longer powers the motor.

shunt value is 1.2M ohms but not sure if this affects the problem.

any ideas on what may be the cause?

in connecting the motor halls sensors wires to the controller, i remember i mistakenly connected the programming pin to the halls wires of the motor and can that cause a problem?

The battery I am using is a 52V 4.6Ah A123

[youtube]ouHHzb8fwf0[/youtube]

Attachments

• EB312 standard setting.jpg
    EB312 standard setting.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,250
I opened up the controller and noticed a cigarette smell. Not sure if it is factory smell. So perhaps it can be a blown cap?

My motor made that sound when i played with the hall wires (Like a slipping clutch sound) I double checked the halls connection and one of the pins had been pushed out a little on the connector when i unplugged and plugged in again, Make sure all hall wires on the connector are sitting true in there housing and don't push away when you plug it in, Worth ago as it was the issue with mine and all is good now .....

can't see what you have done wrong programming wise, And i don't think you would of done much damage (if at all) when pluggin in the wrong connector (was it plugged into you computer when you did it ?) I think usb only carries 5v so shouldn't of done any harm ???

Toango said:
i double checked the wires and i am confident they are secure.

actually now that i received the lyen motor controller tester i think the halls wires going to the motor is bad. i tested the phase wires and they are good.

i also tested the controller by using the lyen tester and the lyen tester indicates it is good.

I confirmed bad hall wires by testing the wires directly out of the motor and they are good. confirmed by the lights from lyens tester. then if i connect the longer cable that connects to the motor to the controller and test, there are no lights on the lyen tester.

[youtube]6KsRAGYYIzI[/youtube]

so now that i know that it is some bad wire that connects to the motor to the controller, is there a way to test each hall wire if it is bad? perhaps by using a multimeter?

Glad you are getting closer :D I thought the Lyen gadget done the testing etc, But i don't have one so i don't know ???

You could try continuity on a multi meter (Ie, Buzzer, when red/blk connected on the meter) then check the halls either end to see if there is a break somwhere...

so actually now i can pinpoint the problem i've been having on the grinding and cutoff of the motor.

The problem is not about programming the controller, the controller itself nor the wires. I confirmed this by going to a ebike distributor near me and tried my setup withe their motor and it worked!

Its weird though, even though I connect the Lyen tester directly to the motor pins (they are very close together and I might have the alligator clips touch each other giving a false reading) its shows that it is working indicated by the lights on the tester. But if I hook up the tester directly to the hall wires it no longer shows the halls are working.

Perhaps with my motor was ruined by the last ride I did which was 2.7 miles (9 min) with average speed 17MPH and with the 12fet 40Amp controller i was using it might have melted something inside the motor?

Perhaps it is the gears and/or halls sensors in the controller.

Does anyone know where i can get the 3 pronged tool to open a geared motor up? I tried buying one from 2 distributors but they have none for sale. It seems like the distributors dont want the end user to open it up.:(

If I cant buy a tool perhaps there is another way to open up these motors.

Back