• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Changing (wiring) for throttles on Ride1Up Lmtd - and others

Going from stock thumbie, I tried various full-twist throttles, settling on a Domino 0 - 5 ohm.
Now I removed the Domino and installed wiring w/ Bafang style Julets from controller to (finally, only 0.8" wide) nice quality thumb-throttle.
My EXPERIENCE: Every throttle install I've done had at least had ONE accurately colored wire and the problem of wire color interfaces mismatching was a matter of switching two wires - and shutting the bike off if throttle wouldn't stop.
This was different. Both interfaces had a black wire, and knowing one wire's 5v, another signal and the last the ground for the motor's hall sensor I was confident.
I even have a pin-out diagram a diligent member posted here. But not the colors of the wires leading to and from those pins. Hey, that requires destructive testing.
Super glad I spent the bucks on high-precision wire strippers and can run a test circuit through the pins to the apparently colored wires.
So I measure 'v output' and two wires say '5ish'? Well who's the ground?
Having been here time and again (but always knowing at least one wire), resulted in stuff like throttle suddenly FULL-ON, but nothing harmful to my controller, etc.

A bit too busy to take the entire internal battery housing apart to remove the controller, I pulled the (very short) wires from controller, out of the frame's - about 2". Such tight soldering requires precise stripping, them tinning/ fluxing wires to tightly wrap 3x turns ea., trim the excess, and again a dot of flux before a touch with a wetted, proper temp iron. Joint's resembles a half-sized BB - with 1/32" space from insulation on each side.
JST wiring doesn't suit me. It's designed for fixed applications - like LED lighting.
Julets are designed for e-bikes.

Took the Lmtd out for a spin today. This new thumb-throttle responds noticeably better than the Domino did ???
More like the same torque power the pedals supply. It went over 22mph - on throttle.
Still testing, I only ran on L3 (of 1-3 power settings), so rather jumpy power on starts.
My impression's somehow it circumvents 'pedalec 20mph rules'.
Seems worth my trouble.
Hope this helps others.

Wow. I think I was reckless while replacing my thumb throttle on my ride1up 700 series. About two years ago, I purchased this one and plugged it in. No testing. Worked right away. My reason was different. Rather than using my left hand to actuate the throttle, I’d rather use it to signal to other drivers on the road. My bike is strictly for commuting, so this was important to me. Now that I’ve changed the throttle, I can use my left arm to signal to other drivers while using throttle to take off from a stop. This makes it so drivers don’t have to wait so long for me to pass the intersection. Which gives me less time in the intersection and is safer for me.

Your technique is exactly what throttle is best for. But the R1U is my 'parts testing' bike. So, it get's graced w/ some nice stuff.
Now, I'm perfecting my riding style. Right gear at right moment, all that.
This is a 5 year old R1U Limited -1000watts/ 100nm. First bike of any kind I'd owned in more than 50 years.
Evolved from bars w/ a ton of crap and a 5lb 'V' stand, to stripped down street-machine -weighing 5lbs less than stock.
From brakes (Magura MT 5e's w/ MDR-P's) to fork (RS Judy Gold), to custom Bafang Julet wiring - extremely pimped out.
An early-adopter, I found Wuxing the best full-twist throttles, R or L., but hated the (molded on) winged grips.
Cannot beat Domino's Grips.
Funny you should mention it. I switched throttle to my left side too. In fact, I put another on my beasty-bike and in testing stage. Both bikes had Domino 0-5ohm throttles.
Tested (3-4miles each) today with 40%ish battery. Beasty-bike - 'Gumbo de Bodacious' - didn't like it much, but (finally) the ergonomics of the Archer Shifting paddle/ MT7 brake levers was perfect.
On a 60lb M620 powered, titanium rocket-ship. I don't need a throttle much, just be in the right (of 11) gears.
R1U was about the same. I'll charge to 90% and see.

I know the protocol for a right turn using the left arm, but I prefer to point with my right arm for right turn, and left arm for left turn. I don't expect anyone in the USA to recognize the left arm signals.

Back