• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Charger for 48V dolphin battery

dzh

10 mW
I've bought this battery off Dillenger, but forgot to get the charger.

The rep sent me the photo of the ones they provide. It seems to be just a regular power supply.

Should I just get any off-the-shelf power supply (2A @ 48V) or "OEM" one?

You can use any li charger that outputs the right voltage for you pack. 99% sure you have a 13s,, so 54.6v is your top of charge voltage.

The dillenger charger is not just a power supply, there is some "smart charger" stuff in there too, that switches it off when it should.

you can charge with just a PS if you want, but bear in mind a 48v PS that outputs 48v is not what you need. you need 54.6v.

Weird. That's the charger that the guy from Dillenger suggested.

I did measure battery voltage and yeah it was at least 52V (can check again later).

Also, what sort of smarts can there really be in a two prong power supply?

Please help :) my new bike is ready but haven't got the power to charge it!

Posting details and not asking others to check links and giving a location would help. Any 48v charger with the right connector will work. The charger should charge to 54.6V since it is 13s. But we don't know what your Reention case connector is. Details get better help. I know it's a bit overwhelming at first.

Why buy a battery without the charger that is recommended to charge the battery you bought start with the basics so get the right battery charger battery happy you happy bikes happy.

That is not just a power supply...

it is a small "smart" charger designed for lithium battery....

basically it will have a high voltage cut off which is all you need.

At this ponit china makes thousands of those things and they are supringly cheap, relaible and quiet....

tomjasz said:
Posting details and not asking others to check links and giving a location would help. Any 48v charger with the right connector will work. The charger should charge to 54.6V since it is 13s. But we don't know what your Reention case connector is. Details get better help. I know it's a bit overwhelming at first.

I'll get you a photo of the bottom of the battery later on today. Good point about location, electrons flow different direction down here in south. Although you could've inferred my location by domain name in the link.

p.s. whats a Reention case?

999zip999 said:
Why buy a battery without the charger that is recommended to charge the battery you bought start with the basics so get the right battery charger battery happy you happy bikes happy.

Because I frocked up as Dillinger does not include them by default. Also given conflicting information here, I start to doubt Dillinger representative competence.

Green Machine said:
basically it will have a high voltage cut off which is all you need.

Thanks, this is useful. Although I am still not sure about the voltage as earlier posts are conflicting. How is 48V going to charge to 54.6V?

54.6 is the exact cut off voltage for a 48v pack (13s x 4.2v) That is max charge....

Dillinger is an australian company that has been aronnd for a while and has been selling bbs02 and bbshd kits as long as anybody....

you have nothing to worry about with that charger.

Looks like you question our competence too, Go buy a 48v power supply, and charge your battery to 48v. But to get it full,, you need a 54.6v power supply.

Nobody said anything conflicting, you need a charger that puts out 54.6v to charge a "48v lithium battery". The reason I specifically stated 54.6 is because there are "48v lithium batteries" that charge to 58v. Nowdays, those are mostly called 52v, but at one point lots of the options out there for 48v did charge to 58v. YOUR BATTERY,, is 13s and needs 54.6v to fully charge.

It's confusing,, a charger is called "48v" because it puts out 54.6v. But buy a 48v power supply, and it will put out 48v. This is because battery nominal voltage is stated pretty close to the lowest voltage it can put out before its empty, not the highest voltage it charges to. A power supply is stated as the voltage it puts out, so a 48v PS may or may not adjust up all the way to the 54.6v you need.

To get the charger you need with the type of plug you need,, you could just buy one from Dillenger,,,if they are still willing to talk to you.

And a 48v lifepo4 battery will charge to 60.3 voltage so get the Right charger to match you're battery needs.
A 48v lead battery charges to 54v..

dogman dan said:
Looks like you question our competence too, Go buy a 48v power supply, and charge your battery to 48v. But to get it full,, you need a 54.6v power supply.

Nobody said anything conflicting, you need a charger that puts out 54.6v to charge a "48v lithium battery". The reason I specifically stated 54.6 is because there are "48v lithium batteries" that charge to 58v. Nowdays, those are mostly called 52v, but at one point lots of the options out there for 48v did charge to 58v. YOUR BATTERY,, is 13s and needs 54.6v to fully charge.

It's confusing,, a charger is called "48v" because it puts out 54.6v. But buy a 48v power supply, and it will put out 48v. This is because battery nominal voltage is stated pretty close to the lowest voltage it can put out before its empty, not the highest voltage it charges to. A power supply is stated as the voltage it puts out, so a 48v PS may or may not adjust up all the way to the 54.6v you need.

To get the charger you need with the type of plug you need,, you could just buy one from Dillenger,,,if they are still willing to talk to you.

Ok sort of makes sense. Those chargers are designed for 48V batteries, but actually output 54.6V.

But the label is misleading then, isn't it? I was always assuming there is regulation on the output voltage labelling.

I think there is,, but chargers relate to batteries, which use the nominal voltage rather than actual fully charged voltage. It would make things easier, if the charger stated full charge voltage, since "48v" can be anything from 54.6v to 60v. Best advice is to always buy a charger when you buy a battery.

But here you will also learn which chargers are adjustable, and tweak them up to 4v or so. My 60v lifepo4 charger is now set to charge my 54.6v NMC packs.

No dumb questions here,, but you can easily be unaware of stuff like this,, and allowing you to ask and learn is why we spend time on this forum every day. Some internet forums are full of dumbshits. But with the exception of myself, this forum is full of electronic engineers, and other genius types. If two here agree, it's correct in most cases.

Back