China quarrels over battery-powered bikes

ChinaPhil

10 W
Electric bikes weighing over 40 kg or able to go faster than 20 km/h (12.4 mph) should count as motorbikes.

The bikes use lead-acid batteries that weigh about 4 or 5 kg each. You multiply that by 21 million and that's an awful lot of lead.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world-news/sparks-fly-as-china-quarrels-over-battery-powered-bikes_430670.html

Interesting article, how rare are lithium and Nickel based batteries on E-Bikes where you live Phil?

I hope that soon these batteries will be more affordable for these E-Bikers in China, but even better if this can lead to infrastructure for other electric vehicles, namely electric cars.

I wonder how well lead acid batteries really hold-up for someone doing deliveries at their job. I would think they would need to recharge at least once in the middle of the day. :?:

I'm one of the few ex-pats that rides e-bikes, most prefer to travel surrounded by metal. All I see are SLA batteries and hub motors.

The Chinese government wants people driving cars. Beacuse they pay fees for licenses, gas taxes ect..
Just like the American government in the 1950's.

Yep, money. 12mph, thats a joke. Can't even out run a dog. Shoot, I've seen a skateboarder hold 17mph.

Yeah, 12mph isn't really practical, much like the many other countries limiting to 200 - 250 watt motors, but the real question is, will it be enforced by the local governments? I hope that those who are depending on the E-Bikes to make their lives better are able to.

Sad how governments often make life miserable for the average person just to get some other way to tax ya more while taking away freedom. :roll:

I wish the Chinese people the best, and hope that they are able to raise their standard of living, I'm sure glad that I had the option to take a car today! It was raining cats and dogs, but at least it warmed up so we didn't have freezing rain! :wink:

The 40 kg limit applies in Europe.

I think its actually very sensible. Power and speed are difficult to measure, but weight is easily checked and unarguable. A weight limit is also a good dividing line between an e-bike and an e-motorcycle.

Nick

I read somewhere that 98% of lead used in batteries is recycled, so the real issue is making sure that the batteries are recycled. Maybe they should enforce leasing of batteries rather than sale. Much better to encourage ebikes that ecars.

To some extent, this will help grow their e-bike business internationally since most foreign governments don't allow the sales of electric bicycles that travel over a certain speed or with a motor over a certain size, but instead require them to meet tougher safety standards set for motorcycles. That is definitely true in the US, where any ready-made electric bike that can travel over 20 MPH or has a motor over 750W must meet the safety standards set for mopeds and motorcycles by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration rather than the rather anemic consumer bicycle standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Administration. That means more powerful, ready-made e-bikes have to have beefer frames, better brakes and safety equipment like lights, signals and horn. This is all good, since a more powerful motor generates more torque and stresses a traditional bicycle's components, which were never designed for such torque in the first place.

This leads to...the ultimate "stealth" set-up? A small rear geared hub (Bafang, eZee, BMC) with two panniers. battery and controller hidden in the saddlebags?...Its so annoying that legally, I can go 35-mph downhill on a manual pedal-bike, and even ride in the car lane if I can keep up with traffic. But put a one-HP motor on it, and then?....

Back