Chopped hardtail mtb - stealthy Mac build

Timma2500

1 kW
Hey all. So Thursday last week i found myself with a 4 day (Easter) long weekend starting the next day, no money to do much and newly single...
However i did have some Argon, filler rods, aluminium sheet and 4 days up my sleave sooooo...

Nothing for it but a quick build! I've wanted a lighter weight stealthy bike for a while now and have had a Brand X dirt jump frame sitting around gathering dust for even longer so it was high time to put it to use - housing a 12fet and 10s 10ah of lipo!

Drawing.jpg
030.JPG
Frame before.jpg
059.JPG
View attachment 2
068.JPG
070.JPG

Specs are 8t Mac, 26" rim, 12fet, 10s 10ah lipo, 1500w.
The battery box frame insert added 1kg to the frame.
15kg weight as pictured, will be 18kg total with Mac laced and fitted.
The 140mm forks look more raked out than they really are, theres no headset installed yet.

Paul :)

Nice Start!

:D

Nice!!

Very similar to what you did for Jay a while back. I presume the running gear is left over from the Blue bike that you built. Do you plan to mount the controller internally?

Do you have an idea on what it will weigh? Around 25kg seems feasible.

Cheers guys :)

Kepler - the 12fet controller is already mounted internally up near the head tube, you can just see it poking out in one of the pics. Weight is 15kg as it sits, it will end up around 18 - 18.5kg with the Mac and torque arms installed. Yeah basically same running gear as the blue bike and similar overall size to Jay's bike.

Nice work indeed Paul! I'd be surprised if it stays at 10s tho. ........

Oh and commiserations / congrats on your newly single status. More time to play with bikes n stuff in the shed. By the way, that ain't a messy shed!

Timma2500 said:
Cheers guys :)

Kepler - the 12fet controller is already mounted internally up near the head tube, you can just see it poking out in one of the pics. Weight is 15kg as it sits, it will end up around 18 - 18.5kg with the Mac and torque arms installed. Yeah basically same running gear as the blue bike and similar overall size to Jay's bike.

Lighter then I expected especially with those Pike RS forks. 8). Pack is quite small (and light) though. 300W/hr usable should be a good match for the bike but 10S maybe a bit slow for bike with road tires? What is the turn count on the MAC?

Nice project, you make it sound so easy, but I bet I'd struggle to make something even a tenth as good.

Good work Paul.

Love it.
The boxed frame reminds me of the Orange Msisle frames:
0000351ul9.jpg

Looks wonderful! Some black paint, like you said, and it'd be better than most of these big-brand production ones!
I will stay tuned!

damn man.... THAT is what you call stealth. love your work as always timma.

Whats your experience/background with welding mate? How long have you been doing it? really want to get into it myself some day...

dang..how do you measure out the strength of the metal replacing the old tubing? Would love love to put together my own FS frame one day.

Hey Timma, what are you using to ream the head tubes or are you just using them as is? I am close to that stage on my build... Love the stealthy bike! Your getting hella fast at this these days! Lol!

looks great Paul,
what can you tell us about the geometry? it looks like the top tube is about 20mm longer. lower steer tube angle?
file.php

also can you give advice for what welder someone would need to produce a bike like this? and any general fabricating tips?
thanks allot
PS
great looking dog (staffy?)

Tidy work as aways mate - it does indeed look like my diamondback albeit alot thinner in profile. Very stealthy.
10S though ? booo, whack another 5S2P in that booster bottle you're talking about - that'll liven the little mac up :)
Sorry to hear about the split with your GF. Did you ever end up modding the frame on that new bike she bought ? If not and it ended on bad terms, I'm glad she didn't walk away with one of your works of art (and that it's sitting in my garage instead :p )

Hey Timma, any updates? You know I got a thing for these ALY builds!

Back