Clyte hs3540 runs smooth then shudders then repeats

Mad Huey

100 mW
Hi
I have a crystalyte hs3540 running 48x60A Lyen 18FET 4110 and have replaced hall sensirs before after motor turned out of axle and pulled all wires etc. (that was when i had Lyen 9FET and 48x30a)
Running regen and at 60A the motor locked up down a long steep hill as the phase wires melted to stator.
I upgraded the wires to turnigy silicone 12AWG AND ALL SEEMED FINE. until i got a flat and removed wheel and repaired.
Now the motor runs for a few minutes and then shudders which makes me back off the throttle and coast or only light throttle for a bit and then i can full throttle again before it starts to shudder again.
It is like a phase problem as halls are a different feeling through the bike.
I have pulled motor apart 3 more times and cannot find the problem.
Ive done continuity test of phase wires. From controller to motor. And diode check of controller which had the following results
Black probe to red power and red probe to phase exit controller
green 417
yellow 419
blue 427

Red probe to black power on controller and black probe to phase exit controller
green 424
yellow 424
blue 421

I even checked to see if windings were touching the metal lip of inside stator.

Has anyone ever had this come and go shudder which seens to be a heat related problem???

First guess is the halls are overheating and so the controller isnt' getting the right signals. Might only be one, or multiple. If it is halls it could take a while for the stator to cool enough to let them work again.

When the problem happens, try having a meter (or LEDs) already hooked up to be measuring the hall outputs (see if they toggle correctly when spinning by hand) while it's in the failure state.

You don't mention what you did to repair (or replace) the controller after the phase wires were shorted together during operation (as this often damages or destroys a controller).

Thanks for the reply amberwolf.
I didnt do a thing to the controller as it all ran fine after fixing the melted wires inside the motor.
It was a week or so later that i got a flat tyre which meant unplugging hall and phase wires to remove wheel from frame and replace tube etc.
it was after that the problem arose which made me wonder if id danaged a wire having the wheel on the bench while fixing flat.
I questioned my soldering to the phase wires on the stator so redid them. Getting the 3 x 12AWG turnigy silicone wires and the 5 hall wires through the bearing hole was a mission last time so i used 14AWG until exit of motor and then 12AWG to the Lyen controller.
I got over not having transport for 2 weeks and ordered a mxus3000W which should be here tomorrow.
But i still want to repair the clyte as its only a year old and it looks clean internally. Ive seen some pics of same motor on sites that have overheated and they look black etc and mine is still shinny red on the windings etc
One of the halls sensors wires heat shrink did look slightly melted together but a continuity test said all 9 wires for the 3 halls were fine.
Now that the motor is off the bike i cant test the halls like you mentioned when in the failure state. Is thwre another way to test that you can think of. ???

Damaged halls wire that makes intermittent contact now is very plausible. Like strands are broken inside undamaged looking insulation.

But it could even be in the plug, assuming you have a plug for the halls.

Thanks to Amberwolf and Dogman Dan for your diagnosis.
It was the undamaged looking insulation on the wires coming straight off the hall sensors within the hub. Its running nice and smooth again now. The bonus is that in the time it took to fix from day it started its tantrum i purchased a Mxus 3000 4t so now i get to start another build ising the hs3540 on a GT I-Drive dual suspension using light turnigy packs (got a ping 48Vx30A running 2C in a greyborg warp frame for the Mxus) and go hit some BMX tracks to see how that goes.
Yeeeeewwww :)

Back