CNN on US Gasoline prices

deardancer3

10 kW
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/01/news/international/usgas_price/index.htm

(easier to read at the url above)

U.S. gas: So cheap it hurts
Relatively low taxes have kept pump prices far below most other developed nations, which some say is precisely why the current runup is so painful.

Bogged down
Most expensive places to buy gas
Rank Country Price/gal
1. Sierra Leone $18.42
2. Aruba $12.03
3. Bosnia-Herzegovina $10.86
4. Eritrea $9.58
5. Norway $8.73
6. United Kingdom $8.38
7. Netherlands $8.37
8. Monaco $8.31
9. Iceland $8.28
10. Belgium $8.22
111. United States $3.45

Cruisin'
Where gasoline is cheapest
Rank Country Price/gal
1. Venezuela 12 cents
2. Iran 40 cents
3. Saudi Arabia 45 cents
4. Libya 50 cents
5. Swaziland 54 cents
6. Qatar 73 cents
7. Bahrain 81 cents
8. Egypt 89 cents
9. Kuwait 90 cents
10. Seychelles 98 cents
45. United States $3.45
155 countries surveyed between March 17 and April 1, 2008. Prices not adjusted for cost of living or exchange rates.

Americans are feeling the pain of spiking prices at the gas pump more acutely than citizens in other countries because they've become acustomed to cheap fuel and large cars, experts say.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Despite daily headlines bemoaning record gas prices, the U.S. is actually one of the cheaper places to fill up in the world.

Out of 155 countries surveyed, U.S. gas prices were the 45th cheapest, according to a recent study from AIRINC, a research firm that tracks cost of living data.

The difference is staggering. As of late March, U.S. gas prices averaged $3.45 a gallon. That compares to over $8 a gallon across much of Europe, $12.03 in Aruba and $18.42 in Sierra Leone.

The U.S. has always fought to keep gas prices low, and the current debate among presidential candidates on how to keep them that way has been fierce.

But those cheap gas prices - which Americans have gotten used to - mean they feel price spikes like the ones we're experiencing now more acutely than citizens from other nations which have had historically more expensive fuel.

Cheap gas prices have also lulled Americans into a cycle of buying bigger cars and bigger houses further away from their work - leaving them more exposed to rising prices, some experts say.

Price comparisons are not all created equal. Comparing gas prices across nations is always difficult. For starters, the AIRINC numbers don't take into account different salaries in different countries, or the different exchange rates. The dollar has lost considerable ground to the euro recently. Because oil is priced in dollars, rising oil prices aren't as hard on people paying with currencies which are stronger than the dollar, as they can essentially buy more oil with their money as the dollar falls in value.

And then there's the varying distances people drive, the public transportation options available, and the different services people get in exchange for high gas prices. For example, Europe's stronger social safety net, including cheaper health care and higher education, is paid for partly through gas taxes.

Gas price: It's all about government policy. Gasoline costs roughly the same to make no matter where in the world it's produced, according to John Felmy, chief economist for the American Petroleum Institute. The difference in retail costs, he said, is that some governments subsidize gas while others tax it heavily.

In many oil producing nations gas is absurdly cheap. In Venezuela it's 12 cents a gallon. In Saudi Arabia it's 45.

The governments there forego the money from selling that oil on the open market - instead using the money to make their people happy and encourage their nations' development.

Subsidies, many analysts say, are encouraging rampant demand in these countries, pushing up the price of oil worldwide.

In the U.S., the federal tax on gas is about 18 cents a gallon, pretty low by international standards.

But those relatively low gas taxes make it hard now for Americans to deal with gas prices that have risen from around $1 to over $3 a gallon in the last seven years.

"Everybody pays more, but the U.S. pays more in absolute terms," said Lee Shipper, a visiting scholar at the University of California Berkeley's Transportation Center. If you're already paying $4 in taxes, said Schipper, then an extra $2 a gallon isn't that big of a deal.

Revenues from Europe's high gas taxes are used to fund a variety of things. One thing they have built is better public transportation, said Peter Tertzakian, chief energy economist at ARC Financial, a Calgary-based private equity firm.

They gave people an alternative to driving, something we don't have in North America," said Tertzakian.

Low fuel taxes and prices sprung out of a national love for mobility going back generations, said Robert Lang, director of the urban planning think tank Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech.

In fact, the U.S. could not have had the western expansion it did without the cheap mobility railroads and horse carriages afforded long before it became an auto-obsessed culture, said Lang.

"You couldn't have Manifest Destiny unless you could move," he said.

The automobile, and its promise of personal mobility, only deepened the nation's love affair with travel.

"Nobody sang 'She'll have fun fun fun until her daddy takes the tokens away,'" said Lang. 'It's totally romanticized."

Gas consumption Europe vs. U.S. There is some evidence Europe's high gas taxes have capped its oil consumption.

Oil use in the United Kingdom has basically stayed flat from 1980 to now, while in France it's dropped 17%, according to figures from the Energy Information Administration.

In the U.S., meanwhile, oil use is up 21% over the same period, although the country has added more people and seen its economy grow slightly faster.

Americans have taken advantage of cheap gas prices to do other things - like buy bigger cars and bigger houses further away from city centers, said Schipper.

On a per capita basis, Americans use three times more oil than Europeans, he said. That means Americans are more exposed to rising gas prices than their counterparts across the Atlantic.

"Five-thousand square feet in the suburbs, that's much rarer in Europe," said Schipper, referring to big homes. "We dug our hole."

Despite daily headlines bemoaning record gas prices, the U.S. is actually one of the cheaper places to fill up in the world.

I hope that fact will make everyone feel much better as they bend over & take it in the gas. :roll:

Canada should be in the top ten lowest although I understand to some degree why it's not.
The high number of palms that need greezing demands multiple layers of taxes.
What I really don't understand is why On-tare-eye-oh has a lower price on gas than where it's produced & you don't have the added burden of cost to transport? :? :? :x
Prices are clearly manipulated & not just oil.

I just paid $1.39/L for 94 octane in Vancouver, or about $5.28/gal. Alcohol costs me $4/gal, which sounds good, except you have to inject almost twice as much :(

I personally would love to see gas at $20/gallon (in 2008 USD)... That's the only way people will alter their behavior.

Well fuel may be cheap but even so our grocery bills are gonna hurt pretty soon anyways, expensive fuel would make it (and other things) quite a bit more expensive, but I for one rather enjoy having income available for things other then basic necessities... Let's agree not wish for higher fuel prices?

cheap fuel is one of the things that has let us build one of the strongest economies in the world. When prices went up, the Dollar crashed. Its one of the triggers of the current rescession. if gas did hit $20 a gallon, it would leave this country in finacial ruin.

Oil is the life blood of our economy. if you start cutting off the supply, we as a nation will die. If it wasn't so important to every aspect of our lives, then yeah, $20 would force a shift in people's life style for the better, but asd it stands now, it would force people into desperation, with no ability to aford an alternitive.

The best model for a cultural shift away from oil dependance is to make the alternitives more popular. Right now, Big Texas Oil money is spending their cash on Wind. Its not a financialy better option on paper, but it is still profitable, and its a huge PR boost for the companies investing in it.

80 years ago it took the goverment getting involved to get utilities out to rural america. if they hadn't offered huge incentives and legislation for it, there would still be parts of this country without power. Thats probably what it will take to get Big power companies to start serious work on Wind, Solar, Hydro, Tidal, and geo-thermal

America doesn't deserve a strong economy if it is falsely built on a foundation of soldiers' and "brown peoples'" blood, ie cheap oil subsidized through wars of conquest and oil field stabilization.

Hey, remember what Bush said?
We hate the regime, not the people.
The ones to blame are the neo-con (as in nazi) regime.
Better than half (& growing) of the american people actively oppose their regime & are coming to the dawning realization they don't actually live in a democratic republic as they once believed.

The hilarious thing is that when I talk to Americans they actually think they live in a democracy, not a Republic. They believe they actually vote for who is president as opposed to the electoral voters ala the state legislatures. The think the primary votes are binding on the delegates.

- As I always maintain. The happiest slave is the slave that thinks he's free.

Lessss said:
The hilarious thing is that when I talk to Americans they actually think they live in a democracy, not a Republic. They believe they actually vote for who is president as opposed to the electoral voters ala the state legislatures. The think the primary votes are binding on the delegates.

- As I always maintain. The happiest slave is the slave that thinks he's free.
It's true, I live around a lot of politically naive people.

I think the reason for this is education. When things are going good, no one complains. But when things go bad, well it's time for someone to blame. This usually starts with who's the most popular on TV, never seems to trickle down to those that actually vote on and write the laws.

Kind of like yelling at the police officer for following orders to arrest you when it's the police chief who is giving the orders to arrest you. People just don't know to look a little higher up the chain I'm afraid. :(

Anyways I guess I don't really mind eating rice & lentils if I have to, but this pisses me off:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?rn=222561&cl=7665788&ch=222562
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008/04/30/5429066.html

I am a home brewer. The local brew supply store has doubled the price of hops and is rationing sales to one small bag of hops per purchase of $25.

May have to switch to wine??... Naw. not gonna do it.

deardancer3 said:
Go for the pure grain alcohol.
5926924287023710771-5.jpg

:shock:

deardancer3 said:
I am a home brewer. The local brew supply store has doubled the price of hops and is rationing sales to one small bag of hops per purchase of $25.

Damn, and I was going to brew this weekend. time to start growning my own I guess.

Drunkskunk said:
deardancer3 said:
Damn, and I was going to brew this weekend. time to start growning my own I guess.

Just got my Nugget and Chinook rhizomes from the local Farmer's Market last Thursday. Should have my trellis' done by the weekend. The bines are already like a foot tall... hop I've got room for them?!? :lol:

if we ran diesel trucks on biodesil and cornoil and coverted normal cars to electric and stopped mbuying our oil from the middle east they would go broke and terrorizm would be snuffed out and less global warming would be a nice side effect sounds good to me how about you

truckerzero said:
if we ran diesel trucks on biodesil and cornoil and coverted normal cars to electric and stopped mbuying our oil from the middle east they would go broke and terrorizm would be snuffed out and less global warming would be a nice side effect sounds good to me how about you

Works for me...
IMG_3175sm.JPG

Drunkskunk said:
80 years ago it took the goverment getting involved to get utilities out to rural america. if they hadn't offered huge incentives and legislation for it, there would still be parts of this country without power. Thats probably what it will take to get Big power companies to start serious work on Wind, Solar, Hydro, Tidal, and geo-thermal

In fact, Big Oil Texas Inc is already trying to invest heavily in alternative energies - although there is evidence to support the argument that it's just "green washing", i.e. making money off of the FAD of going green.

One of the biggest obstacles right now is purely infrastructure - the high voltage transmission lines coming from the current wind farms can handle the power as far as El Paso - we need an enormous overhaul & update of cabling to make that West Tex electricity available as far east as Austin, San Antonio, Abilene, Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston; the biggest users. This is one of the agenda items being pushed by our "OilPatch Democrats" group.

As soon as the transmission is improved we'll see growth in windmills and solar panels in the desert regions. The Repubs who own our govt right now seem to think some magical "private sector" is going to ride in on a white stallion and build new high tension lines.

BTW - we had trolleys 100 yrs ago; we could have them today.

truckerzero said:
if we ran diesel trucks on biodesil and cornoil and

corn oil is not a solution. That's PART of the reason for rising food prices. Virtually all of the factory-foods in the supermarket are based on "high-fructose" corn syrup, the same basis as the corporate-lobbied ethanol.

A better idea for bio-diesel are all those cheaply-grown crops that are NOT considered good food sources. Ranchers in West Texas will PAY to have cactus removed from their land. An even better source is the waste veggie oil being wasted by restaraunts & burger joints.

100 years ago we had trolleys. We could do that again. We have the technology.

A lot of what I've read on Biofuels looks like it does more environmental harm than good. And one news article I read said the rising price of food may lead to 100,000 deaths this year world wide. If the Rise in food prices realy is linked mostly to crop production being converted to biofuels, then its worse than some long term environmental damage, its killing people Now.

I think the small scale conversion of waste oil to fuel is a great idea. I'm in the market for a small diesel engine my self, and someday hope to have something running, But the large scale conversion of our food source to fuel is a bad idea.

Right now, I'm in favor of Domestic fuel sources, but I think the way to go is converting coal, and natural gas to Diesels, and better exploration of oil shales, oil sands, and Alaskan oil and gas fields, along with more research into the frozen methane pockets in the gulf of Mexico.
North America is still Energy rich, its just not currently as easy to get at as the Arabian oil fields.

Actually, I use waste veggie... but there are shrubs that don't require treatments or fertilizers that yield many times the oil that corn or soy produces:

Jatropha1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha_oil

@VanillaIce... even color images can sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. 8)

Back