Coasting Downhill => Damaging Battery/Controller ! ?

See the "when things go bang" part of the Crystalyte controller thread.

You can use your ohmmeter to measure between each phase wire and each battery wire (6 combinations). Any shorted FETs should be obvious with this test.

If one is blown, I suggest attempting a warranty return, but don't tell them about the wire problem. Tell them you were just riding along and it quit for no apparent reason. :wink:

I just tested the FETS as done so by this guide, black lead to the negative on the battery, red lead to the 3 wires: My results with the meter set to 2000K ohm

Blue: 012
Green: 012
Yellow: nothing.

I can't get the yellow wire to show anything on the ohm gauge: no matter what setting I set, nothing happens. The only way I know I'm connecting is if I set it to V|... the voltage shows 52.6, which sounds about right for a charged battery voltage.

a repost, but I think my post got lost :wink:

Brucey said:
I just tested the FETS as done so by this guide, black lead to the negative on the battery, red lead to the 3 wires: My results with the meter set to 2000K ohm

Did you do this with the battery and the motor disconnected from the controller?
012=12 ohm?
nothing = very high resistance?

If all YES. Then the controller is faulty.

Brucey said:

I can't get the yellow wire to show anything on the ohm gauge: no matter what setting I set, nothing happens. The only way I know I'm connecting is if I set it to V|... the voltage shows 52.6, which sounds about right for a charged battery voltage.

a repost, but I think my post got lost :wink:

Have you sent it back for an new one?

Instead of going downhill, what if you are just assembling your bike, waiting for a battery, and want to peddle around with the hub motor mounted and open wires (not connected to any battery or controller). Will it hurt the hub motor?? Crystalyte 5304.

:?:

Deepkimchi said:
Instead of going downhill, what if you are just assembling your bike, waiting for a battery, and want to peddle around with the hub motor mounted and open wires (not connected to any battery or controller). Will it hurt the hub motor?? Crystalyte 5304.

:?:

Nope. I regularly ride with the bike off for the exercise. At typical pedal speeds it'll generate about 12 volts. You could hook up a light for the heck of it if you wanted to.

Back