Coasting with Cycle Analyst and DD motor

E-HP

10 GW
I'm trying to figure out if Cycle Analyst (v3.1) can be programmed so that when I release the throttle, the bike will coast, rather than brake. Before I upgraded my controller, my old KT sine wave unit would coast if I released the throttle, or stopped pedaling while using PAS (direct drive rear hub). Non-variable regen would kick in if applying the brake levers, but otherwise, the bike would coast like any other bike.

The behavior of my Powervelocity controller, whether the throttle is being controlled through the CA or directly, is to brake, unless throttle is applied just enough to keep the watts at zero. Any less and the controller started regenning, braking and watts going back to the battery. The controller does not support variable regen, but it still behaves as if it does.

I've tried changing the throttle out threshold below 0.8V and the other settings to see if the controller would allow coasting like my old KT, but so far I can't find a setting that works. I also switched to power throttle mode, thinking that releasing the throttle would maintain 0 watts, and therefore coast, but that didn't work.

Setup:
1000W MXUS rear direct drive hub
CA v3.1
Powervelocity 7kW sine wave controller

E-HP said:
I'm trying to figure out if Cycle Analyst (v3.1) can be programmed so that when I release the throttle, the bike will coast, rather than brake.
Sure, that's the default setup.

You would have to specifically set it up to cause regen when not actively throttling; I'm not sure of the exact settings to cause it to do this, but it won't be setup that way unless you do it on purpose.

The behavior of my Powervelocity controller, whether the throttle is being controlled through the CA or directly, is to brake, unless throttle is applied just enough to keep the watts at zero.
This indicates it is not a problem with your CA. It is the controller.

You should check the PV settings to see if it is setup for slip regen, or something similar, as that will cause what you are talking about.

If instead of fixing the PV settings' problem you want to solve it at the CA, you can change the Throttle Setup menu so that it always outputs something just above the minimum throttle voltage necessary to trigger the PV's braking function. Then in one of the other throttle or PAS setup menus I forget whihc one) there's a minimum speed setting to activate the throttle output that you would set just above zero so that it won't be trying to make the controller do something when you're stopped.

But the best fix is in the PV setup.

amberwolf said:
You should check the PV settings to see if it is setup for slip regen, or something similar, as that will cause what you are talking about.

I think you're right.

I can't see the settings due to the Bluetooth issue I'm having, but looking at some of the screenshots of the app, there's a setting called "Throttle Brake On/Off" that may be what causes the behavior, if it's set to On.

I can't see the settings due to the Bluetooth issue I'm having, but looking at some of the screenshots of the app, there's a setting called "Throttle Brake On/Off" that may be what causes the behavior, if it's set to On.

You can count on it. You may have to do more to get exactly what you want, but that setting has to be changed.

Back