Collection of ebike pictures

Hi all
here is a picture of my latest project before conversion. it has one of the worst riding positions for a pedel cycle I have ever seen, but as an E-bike for pure motor power with pedels just to keep the law at bay, it will be perfect.The rear wheel is 4.25 " wide and was screaming for a hub motor, so I've given it one a PUMA with a single cross.
The bike should be ready riding within a week.chopper4.jpg
It was riding but in 2 weeks, lovely ride according to my cycle shop owner.
The chopper has since had an problem the throttle locked at full speed due to riding in heavy rain, the throttle is a right off the motor had damaged phase and sensor wires which have been delt with in the thread replacement cable for hub motors also in ev basics the controller blew a few fets. this has now become a back burner project when the final version is done I will add a picture of it.
e-chopper 2 low res.jpg
this gave me hours of fun, e-bikes don't have to be pratical they can be just for fun.

Hi All,

I have been lurking for the last week and thought this was the ideal place for my first post. The photos below show the before and after of my first build completed about two months ago. It's based on a geared 250W chinese scooter motor and 24V 18ah Gel Batteries.

I hacked the frame in half with an angle grinder and welded in a subframe to support the new drive train and give it a very comfortable stance.

Top speed is currently geared for about 14mph and I get 12 miles range so far. I haven't pushed it to it's limits yet as there are some long steep hills around my home no matter which direction I go!

It wasn't until I was finished that I realised it might not be road legal in the UK, no pedals, but as my legs don't work properly (I haven't used a push bike in ten years) it didn't even occur to me to keep the pedals.

I have since been stopped by the 'plod' but only to ask how I made it!
:D

I hope it gives all you hub motor demons a good laugh..... but it did only cost £200 to build. Next project will be using a Puma!!!

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 06-06-07_1457b.jpg
    06-06-07_1457b.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 7,496
  • 10-08-07_1322a2.jpg
    10-08-07_1322a2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 7,493
Here is the now bike... First test ride today, so it's still a work in progress. BMC Puma motor, 37v. 15AH Point 1 LiPO battery, 58 pounds loaded, 253 pounds with my fat ass on it.

Hi all! I've been lurking for a few days and thought I would post up a couple shots of my first project code named Ghetto Electric v1. I'll get my asbestos suit on to protect me from the flaming I'm going to get about this one. lol

These are 'after' pictures but it isn't too hard to imagine the 'before' version. Sorry for the poor photo quality, it was getting a bit dark when I took these.

ghetto1.jpg

ghetto2.jpg

ghetto3.jpg

My original plan was some kind of hub motor but I got my hands on a new Kollmorgen for very little $$$. I decided to do a little playing around with some parts I already had around the garage and came up with a simple friction drive.

I started with a EV Warrior clutch roller bearing and machined a larger knurled roller for it (since the Kollmorgen doesn't have as high of rpms as the original ev warrior motors). I then made a simple aluminum frame to hold the motor to the rear rack and a bearing support so the Kollmorgen's bearings don't get too much load.

I need to make a couple of little supports from the rack to the top rack frame mounts to ensure the whole assembly never moves to one side. The roller actually centers itself but I would hate to hit a bump at speed and have the motor slide into the tire.

I must say I was very very surprised with the results. The friction drive works very well (I never ride in the rain, btw). I've used the bike daily for quite a while now (over 400 miles since converted). I'm currently using two 7ah sla batteries and get around 12 miles per charge with moderate pedaling and one decent size hill on my daily route. I really don't see too much of a downside to the friction drive. It doesn't need to be plastered on the tire to give a good amount of assist so I don't see it being that inefficient and I haven't noticed any tire wear since I've used it (yes the tire in the photo is a bit worn but it's getting old and it's not from the roller).

Top speed is 16mph and I'm shooting for 20. The next project will be a 36v external controller to raise the motor rpms. Then I can reduce the size of the roller a bit to make hill climbing even better.

Is there anyone else here using friction drive?

I figured I better introduce mself, as I have been lurking here for so many months, (I lost count) stealing ideas and information for my bike. I think I got the idea to build one when I saw the Schwinn electric on Engadget. I thought "I can make one cheaper than that!" Boy was I wrong! But, mine outperforms the Schwinn and I learned a lot along the way, which is why I like new hobbies now and again.

I bought the bike at a pawn shop after checking out all of them in town all summer. I got lucky, as I found one with a 7 speed Nexus hub, which is nice as you can change gears while stopped. I also got it very cheap and it was like new. I modified it for electric assist, by changing out the rear sprocket to the smallest one available for the Nexus. I also found a ridgid, suspension corrected steel fork that was identical in trail - 38mm to the original aluminum suspension type . :)

The specs are: Crystalyte 408, 72 volt 40 amp controller, full twist throttle, CycleAnalyst ( all from the good folks at ebikes.ca ) 6 Dewalts in series parallel. That's about it. I can get 20 miles out of it pretty easy, and I use it as a commuter vehicle, 7 miles each way. I can get to work, within 5 minutes of the time it takes to fire up my gas guzzling SUV and drive it in. I have had it up to 30 miles an hour, but, I normally have it speed limited to 20, to save power. Don't know what the top speed would be.

Thanks to everyone here- for all the good info and ideas. I think this is a pretty good community and it appears to be growing a good rate.

Attachments

• Trek eBike4.jpg
    Trek eBike4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 6,809
  • Trek eBike3.jpg
    Trek eBike3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,810
  • Trek eBike2.jpg
    Trek eBike2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 6,807
It's a double up to my thread, but here are my before and after shots - bit of a change from the original!

Attachments

• After.JPG
    After.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 4,319
  • Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 4,297
After my first long trip, figured out I needed a mirror.

Almost ran off the road looking behind me..

You don't want to crash with that much weight and $ 600 of batteries on top...

Bought an add-on mirror from the automotive section, took off the mount and rigged a mount from some bike tail light.

Attachments

• IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 6,926
  • IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 6,913
I've slowly added so many things on this Giant Revive since I bought it early this year, hence the series of pics. Hope I'm not taking up too much space.

I didn't know the attachment order was going to be reversed. Too lazy to fix it : (

a) Before

b) 408 Journey Kit and bags

c) 4011 at the rear, Bell Cocoon Child Seat, and SLT Transmission

d) 36v 9ah NiMH on upper frame

e) My son's protective padding, "Egg Prince"

f) Ammeter, voltmeter, PAS button, and on the PVC joint and pipe.. wireless cyclometer, 3 LED flash/headlight, and my Starbuck's Tall Crappachino

g) Not very stealthy, but not too frumpy either...

h) but the more I add accessories, the frumpier it gets

i) Dewalt packs in parallel

j) The Dewalt battery rack is secured over the NiMH Journey Kit quick release bracket and can be removed for NiMH battery use.

Next project... my wife's Revive so she can keep up with me

Updated shots:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I saw an old guy riding his bicycle on the lower bike path while flying his kites. It was going to be a great shot and I was intent in capturing it long with the sunset and my bike. Unfortunately a little old lady who was about walk down the steps behind my bike STOPPED (at the rear of my bike) and stared at my bike for the longest time just when the kites entered the frame. She knew I was taking pictures, she was just being a pain in the ass. There a lot of people like that here, sheesh . . . No worries, I simply deleted her and pasted a portion from a previous shot. It's hard to tell . . . notice the lite spot on the very end of the triangle bag?

Revive sunbeam added.jpg

8) Life is good . . .

Finally get a chance to post my build. Still have some kink need to work out but it rides well right now. Battery might need to be relocated to that ridge on the frame.

Bike: Schwinn S60 Full suspension mountain bike - Front disk brake, V-brake rear, shimano rapidfire shifter. Flimsy aluminum frame is creepy when you hold up the bike. A light shake makes it wave. At high speed the bike feel like a rabid squirrel. Skipping at every pothole.

Motor: Crystalyte 408 with 48v-72v 35A controller, 7 speed freewheel, mounted in 26" wheel

Battery: 4 Dewalt 36V in 2s2p configuration. Kept in original shell, just tap into the tab using wires. People give me odd look when i lug around black bag with wires sticking out.

Comment:
The torque arm is connected to rear disk brake mount. Look really weak and is probably useless. Will make new one when i have time.

Haven't tried out the mud guard. But the way its mounted every time i hit a bump the wheel bottom out and hit the mudguard(fender)...rear.

Fastest i could get it so far is 32mph with pretty steep hill. No load speed is 40mph.

With the battery mounted so high. The bike corner like shit. With 66v the motor produce ample torque and no weight in front it skip around when hitting large bump. Must learn to let off throttle when hitting bump.

I've tried 84v and the controller would take it, but there is a high pitch hiss like noise so only ran it without load. Didn't try riding it. Might mod shunt to take 50A or so. Might help the bike hit closer to 40mph mark.

Attachments

• Bike Before.jpg
    Bike Before.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,979
Hi volks!

This is my first ebike, with a 60volt configuration.

Now upadted it to 72V with one more lead acid and now I have a top speed of 41km/h without paddeling. This rocks :lol:

Next project will be 100 Vol with 6 Dewaltpacks 3s2p. For this I#ll have to update the fets and I'll probably need a full suspension.

Attachments

• CIMG4380_k.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 4,062
  • CIMG4379_k.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 4,044
  • CIMG4369_k1.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 4,054
  • CIMG4384_k.JPG
    CIMG4384_k.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 4,092
Hi Guys,
I have been doing some research and development and have been reading your great posts every day very closely. One of the results is that I have build a fully stealth Ebike I think! See the pictures down below. Hope you like my conversion.

Omafiets_start_600pixel.jpg

Omafiets_upsidedown_600pixe.jpg

Black-Widow_600pixels_right.jpg

Some specs:

- Current Setup: 48 Volt, 20 Amp
- Vmax: 54 km/u
- Cruising speed: 43 km/u
- Max Power: 1,1 HP - 40 Nm
- Drive Train: All Wheel Drive (front: hubmotor 406, rear: my 250 Watt powered legs ;))
- Gear Ratio: 50t - 11t
- Date of Birth: November 2007

I buy this used bike for almost $800. The frame looked like ready to fit battery.View attachment 1
rear 409 brushless hubmotor, 7sp freewheel, , put on merida seat, merida basket, pieced together some fenders, replace front sprocket from 44t to 48t, shwalbe rear tire, maxxis front, 72v controller, twist throttle, filed the shifter lever some to clear the throttle, sla batteries, b&b hr9ah=12v x 4 and hr9=6v x 4, making the battery space the same as 4=12ah 12v batteries. 36lbs of battery 2 groups of 36v each, with 3pdt for series/parallel connection, charge with 36v charger. Batteries fit into frame tight with some filing. Bent a flat piece of aluminum to make bottom box 2 screws into water bottle holes. And then completed with white duct tape for rigidity and aesthetics. Anyhow, commute only 5 miles. So its probably got a years worth of commuting on it, over a two year period. I really don't enjoy the flat tires, and have to call the wife, and try to stuff this 100lb thing into the back of the minivan, and get grease on things, etc. The rear shwalbe has not left me stranded like the maxxis. I have ridden in rain sometimes. All of my rear wheel spokes have broken on the freewheel side, but then I turned all the elbows out, and that is not a problem any more. This bike is just amazing to ride. No first gear, chain too short . Goes through dirt and grass fine, 30mph speed, can easily stand rear wheel in air, and will do really nice long smooth wheelies when battery is good. The problem was I put identical 12v and 6v batteries in series. So the cells of the batteries were not anything close to being equal, so had to replace a couple 12v batteries. When new, the batteries used about half their capacity for 5 mile trip. Now they are all getting weak (fully drained) after 5 miles. Hopefully my wait to get a good battery is over, with the availabilty of lifepo4. View attachment 1

For those looking for a hard-shell rear bike trunk, amazon.com sells the Swagman Whee Pod Rear Bike Carrier for $32.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Whee-Rear-Bike-Carrier/dp/B000GTRJCM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3_img/105-7440319-7333200?ie=UTF8&qid=1186610865&sr=1-13

This carrier is large enough to store an adult-sized bicycle helmet.

Attachments

• SwagmanWheePodRearBikeCarrier.jpg
    SwagmanWheePodRearBikeCarrier.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 6,674
Hi everyone. Thanks to these forums I have become a newbie e-bike rider. I purchased this Wilderness Energy kit and a used bike on craigslist and now use it for nearly all travelling within a 5 mile radius. I realize this is one of the more low-end setups on the site, but I wanted to stay legal (20mph) and will get a nicer bike now that I know how much fun this thing is.

ebike-1.jpg

ebike-2.jpg

Well, here's my ebike. It's a Crystalite 4840 Pheonix Brute. From electricrider.com

Attachments

• Trek900.JPG
    Trek900.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 5,828
  • Trek9002.JPG
    Trek9002.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 5,943
  • Radiobike.JPG
    Radiobike.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 5,937
  • Radiobike2.JPG
    Radiobike2.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 5,933
  • radiobike5.JPG
    radiobike5.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,934
  • radiobike4.JPG
    radiobike4.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 5,935
My baby!!!!!!

Setup:
Kelly KBL 72101
10S 2P 42V 10Ah Lipo (Backpack only 2,6 kg)
Speed 40mph on flat

Attachments

• 141_4101.jpg
    141_4101.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6,173
  • 141_4114.jpg
    141_4114.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6,174
  • 141_4106.jpg
    141_4106.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6,170
Back