Controller dead? 72V 40A 3000W 36$ shipped

big whoop. it’s been 8 days and the seller has been unresponsive. So I’m going to order a new one.

420b said:
big whoop. it’s been 8 days and the seller has been unresponsive. So I’m going to order a new one.

I hope you will buy from a seller on ebay whom ES users have purchased from countless times and have had no problems with either with shipping or the product itself.

New controller is great! It seems to hit 28MPH without pedaling, which is a big step up from 20MPH on the old one. 18 FETs for a cheap price, I don’t have any complaints (other than that it blew up the first time). Now I just need to double my battery capacity to reap the benefits of the large amount of FETs. Hopefully this doesn’t fry my motor!?

It also has a setting for 40mph, you switch it with the 3 pin plug with black pink grey wires.

420b, have you hooked up the low and hi breaks yet? I tried the low break and all it did was cut throttle. I want to confirm on how to connect hi break. I assume connect d" wire with battery + terminal or a 12v power supply?

Your three speed switch, what method is it using to get the motor to go faster? I am wonder if it switches to sensorless mode to get going faster.

exe said:
420b, have you hooked up the low and hi breaks yet? I tried the low break and all it did was cut throttle. I want to confirm on how to connect hi break. I assume connect d" wire with battery + terminal or a 12v power supply?

Your three speed switch, what method is it using to get the motor to go faster? I am wonder if it switches to sensorless mode to get going faster.

Did you get the same controller? Good to hear, it's a great product! From my testing, low and high brake just cuts off throttle. I believe that they are both just alternate ways of cutting off the throttle. I'm currently not using them. If you were looking for electric brakes, I haven't been able to find that function. I did find active locking, which puts .5A through the motor holding it in place, on pin A3.

Interesting thought about sensor-less mode to reach higher speeds. Though from testing I believe that it simply allows the controller to deliver amps above 28 mph while remaining in sensor mode. So when you have the 40mph mode on (which I believe is activated by connecting the left, grey pin and middle ground pin of the 3 speed switch connector), your controller will no longer cut off the amps when you reach 28mph, and instead cut off at 40mph.

Also, the controller activates sensor-less mode when you remove the 5 wire hall plug. In this mode there is noticeably less torque and, from my testing, the controller still cuts off at 28mph. I am not sure how it cuts off without the halls, however.

420b, how did you test the hi and lo breaks? The low is two cables and you just short it to engage, but how did you connect up the hi break?

exe said:
420b, how did you test the hi and lo breaks? The low is two cables and you just short it to engage, but how did you connect up the hi break?
Hi. What is your desired result? Are you looking for motor cutoff or electronic brake?
I didn’t test the high brake, but I tested the voltage and it is 0 relative to ground. So I think the high brake is simply just a way of activating the “brake” (motor cutoff) with high voltage. So you could test this by shorting it to the 5v or 4.3v pin. I haven’t tested it yet.

My understanding is that the Hi brake needs to be connected to either 12v or higher (pack voltage). I am waiting for my DC-DC converter to get 12 volt and connect it up and see if it will do regen. I do not believe it will be just cut off, but don't know for sure, will find out and report back.

exe said:
My understanding is that the Hi brake needs to be connected to either 12v or higher (pack voltage). I am waiting for my DC-DC converter to get 12 volt and connect it up and see if it will do regen. I do not believe it will be just cut off, but don't know for sure, will find out and report back.

Ok. I’m curious to see what you uncover.

Back