• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Converting a hubmotor to a middrivemotor

played around with phase amps and battery amps settings to find the limits of the EB312 controller with the Bafang BPM @74V. Since it was easier for me doing this on my commuter, I just tested the controller on that bike, it has a Bafang CST Code 10 which is (i thought) almost the same as the BPM code11.

Well, it's not. I didn't hook up LCD/temp-sensor for this test, since I just drove down the street once, i thought even a hub can't heat up so fast. I programmed 40amps battery and 60amps phase current and drove down the street (300meters). On my way up it suddenly stopped. Short circuit :( I could feel it blocking when moving the bike backwards. When looking on the Wattsup (on the Battery), is saw the reason: Watts_Peak: 5050W :cry: something got wrong with programming here, it should have been 77V x 40A = 3000W

I used the same setting in the converted BPM2 which never got too warm. Here is the result.. on the left you see the CST stator, on the right a BPM stator. Notice the difference in copper and thickness of the back-iron of the CST. Both smaller. :evil:

Attachments

• burned_CST.jpg
    burned_CST.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 3,159
AH! sorry for the damage, one of the most valuable things about this forum is that we can compare notes and everyone can find out how many volts/amps a particular motor can actually survive...

yep, for my commuter i will use a BPM2 now as well.. Just not converted. The max power will be the same: 1200W peak for the commuter, 3600W I use in the converted middrive. Just 1/3 when not converted... still I will ALWAYS connect the temp probe :oops:

Everything bad has something good... my Suzuki DR650 Enduro i drove only 4000km in the past 2 years will be used more frequently till i got a new hub for the commuter :mrgreen:

I would drive one of my other bikes (converted hub), but they are all way too illegal for the road

Some more info about the CST:
It has 0.3mm laminations (BPM+BPM2 are 0.5mm)
It has 125mm stator dia, 18.2mm width (BPM has 130mm and 17.0mm)

-> The stator surface is about equal, BPM: 6943mm², CST has 7147mm²

Windings: 6 Strands 0.5mm dia for both, BPM is 11T / Code11, the CST is 10T/36V_205rpm, which gives the BPM 10% more copper mass

yes,exactly what i thought asw well... but i didn't spin it to 4000rpm yet and measure no load current (ok I wont EVER do anymore with this one :( ). In theory it should be below 2amps.

Dont forget than you need around 88V or 24s lion for such rpm, even with a fast wind.

Hi Crossbreak,
I followed your thread closely. I like this idea because I can match the cadence speed. I have a BPM2 48v500w(328 rpm) motor that I want to convert to middrive but I don't have many tools. Could you list what tools are needed to complete this convertion? Could you also comment on the advantages of left vs. right crank wheels? Would it be safe to put 35amp through this motor to get 1750 watts?

iceman is right. You also need someone to turn down your shaft on a lathe ( the big stator holder has to go)... or grind it yourself, if you are good with the angle grinder:You could also grind it. The part where the the old stator holder is just has to be grinded away... it does not have to be 100% round. The just has to be enough clearance between new stator holder and shaft. I can make pics and post as soon as I convert my 3rd BPM2.

What you also need of course: New, slightly smaller bearing for the cover (28mm x 15mm x 7mm). Bearing adapter. New stator/rotor carrier ( I can send you). 3 M5 bolts to mount it ( you have to shorten so they dont rub at the rotor). Maybe you want to mount a heatsink, then you need ~1mm thick thermal foil and a heatsink additionally. But you can add that later if you want, it also works good without.

And an adapter for a sprocket, I can send you as well.

That could be challenging, I don't know anybody with a lathe. So if I understand it correctly it is not to replace the existing shaft with a new one just grind it down. I will open it and see what it looks like. I will definitely need some parts from you crossbreak. Is this process reversible?

I applied the new method to make shaft for Bafang BPM:
1. divide the shaft into 3 parts

index.php

2. drill a hole 17mm into rotor carrier
3. drill a hole 10х10mm into shaft part
4. make part of new shaft (steel round bar 16mm)
5. assemble two parts of the shaft with Loctite 638 (very strong retaining compound)
6. whittle the shaft on lathe for bearing of cover

index.php

It's most cheap way to make a changes inside Bafang BPM I found.

crossbreak said:
What is this one used for?
Looks like an IGH sprocket carrier.

EDIT: nope, now that I looked again it needs to be the other way...

crossbreak said:
Nice copy of my sprocket adapter :D I knew you would make it even without my help ;)
:)
crossbreak said:
What is this one used for?
It is carrier for adapter (right top corner) for cut thread M30x1 on a lathe.
I order adapter billets in laser cutting company (steel 14mm) and drill 6 holes and cut thread, it's most cheap way.

just saw i never posted the pics of my other bike with converted BPM2... here they are.. Dual Freewheel Jackshaft at it's best :D

They are not up-to date either, i grind away the spoke flange... built another converted hub bike in the meantime (The BMC with Hammerschmidt instead of Dual Freewheel Jackshaft)

Attachments

• P1040607.JPG
    P1040607.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,800
  • P1040627.JPG
    P1040627.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,798
  • P1040629.JPG
    P1040629.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,797
  • P1040637.JPG
    P1040637.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,798
  • P1040631.JPG
    P1040631.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,798
For the guys that have done this conversion, how much work do you have to put in to keep your system working?

I hear many people putting down middrives due to the complexity and the amount of work required to keep them happy. How much work are you guys putting in after completion? maintenance.

crossbreak said:
not much. Change the chain more often.. that's it.. did not change sprockets yet.

That's what I'm hoping.... I hear comments about more fixing than riding, so I wanted to make sure.

Hi cal3thousand--- I am sorry I can not really give a fair account for how long you can go trouble free as my set up is in storage right now as my battery pack has gotten wet and I have no battery for it. I am guessing I have only put about 500 miles on the hub conversion but not sure. The tinkering I had to do after first completing the hub motor conversion was more spacing issues of the various compoenents inside the motor itself to get rid of any rubbing noises. I think IF the conversion is done successfully with a SOLID MOTOR MOUNT to your frame and a properly working derailer it should be fairly trouble free. If a person could afford it, the ideal solution would be a clean chain line to a rohloff internal hub and a good solid mounting of the motor to the frame. Obviously the more power put through the system the more it is going to cause you grief. I think it could be a real nice system at under 2000 watts with a Rohloff IGH.

I highly recommend the "crossbreak style" left side pedal assist to the freewheel on the motor shaft. On my bike frame it was simple because it was a hard tail. This part of the conversion was the best surprise of all how well it works. With my gearing you can easily still give pedal input at 40MPH going down small hills.

Back