could vesc cause motor overheat ?

robbaker

1 mW
Hi guys ,
I had a motor overheat and pack up on my emtb ( 12s dual vesc ,dual sk3 6374 192 kv ) so I purchased another and it seems to be getting warm as well, I've only bench tested the board so far and don't want to use it in fear of screwing another motor . Both motors and vescs were set up in bldc tool and have identical settings and wiring , could this be a problem with one of my vescs or is it more likely to be a wiring issue somewhere from the vesc to the motor ?
Any ideas/advise welcome

If it is only one motor that is doing it then simply switching the VESCs over will show if the problem follows the VESC or the motor.
If it is getting warm without even a belt attached then I would tip on the VESC being dodgy - but switch them over and you will have certainty.

Perhaps the motor is not rated for your voltage? Or in an extreme case the bearings could be jammed.

just a little update , i contacted eSK8.de and they suggested re-soldering the connections on both the motor side and the battery side of the VESC as this can sometimes throw up problems and bingo bango no overheat ! all the joints looked good and were solid but obviously some thing odd was going on there, looks like i need to go to solder school ! :)

so off i went on my first run, massively impressed with the power and range clocking up over ten miles with a good few miles left in the batterys and hitting speeds of low 20mphs with loads left to go on the throttle (just my nerve that ran out) everything was going great right up until i put a hard carve in and stretched the motor connections causing them to separate a little causing a short and now i have a fault on the DRV8300 !!

but it can be fixed and ill be up and running again , is everybody using the standard 4mm bullet connectors for the motors as im now thinking about changing them for something stronger ?

I've got bullets, but just after they are bracketed to the deck, so the join shouldn't receive any pressure.

Back