Cromotor + Raptor for a dirtbike?

hayseed

1 µW
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to the idea of ebikes in general.

I come from a motorbiking background (streetbiking) and following a bad wreck I wanna get away from street biking entirely. Anyway, I've just recently found out about ebikes and after doing a little reading, I really wanna build an ebike with a Cromotor and Qulbix Raptor frame.

I read on the thread the information I should give... so here it is:

I'm thinking a budget about similar to what I would've spent if I bought a gas bike -- so about $4000-$4500 Canadian (about $3000-3500 USD).

Max speed: Is it possible to get an ebike that would be capable of cruising at 80 km/hr? Am I totally out to lunch? If it can't be done 50 km/hr would be the lowest I'd want the cruising speed to be... is that at least possible?

Max range: Max range... I won't really be using it for commuting but I'm thinking enough that I could fart around on it for an afternoon on the roads / fields around my farm. Let's say 100 kilometers at a speed averaging about 50 km/hr. Am I totally out to lunch here with that range?

Wheel size: I'm thinking if I could put dirt bike tires on it, that'd be nice. Is this possible? So like 19 or 21 inches I guess.

Terrain: Basically completely flat grid roads. I live in Saskatchewan, which during the summer is probably similar to Arizona as an analogy. But I'd also like a bike I could do some jumps on, so it'd need suspension to handle that. I don't think the jumping desire would effect the engine requirements because I'm thinking about like jumping road approaches, ditches, stuff like that where I'd already have steam before I hit the jump, and not very high either. But I'd need suspension that could handle jumps so that comes into the budget issue.

Rider weight: 185 pounds on my bathroom scale... so by the time I put on gear and everything probably 200 pounds?

So basically what I'm wondering is am I completely barking up the wrong tree here, and coming up with unreasonable requirements for too little money or can I get done what I want for the money I'm looking to spend? And should I go with Cromotor + Raptor, or should I look into a different motor or different frame for this? IDK, I just started reading about ebikes a few days ago and I'm really interested in building something cool that I can have some fun with.

A hub motor doesn't make a good jumper, 3ft drop max with a good wheel build and fairly tuned suspension. Yet it does make the most reliable dirt bike if you can limit your jumping envy. A good build on a DH racing frame can do 30 000 km with minimal maintenance. I proved it with 2 bikes.

An E-MX like a Zero will be much better jumping, but heavier and far behind a good hub build in all other aspects. Even my 250cc two stroke YZ can't follow my ebikes in mountaion trails, although it does beat them bad on a MX track.

Hi, welcome!

I'd say give it a shot. With your terrain the cro should be quite acceptable for what you want, although as noted the drawbacks of heavy hubs are the high unsprung weight in that rear. Any of raptor, vector, eeb, em3, flx, nyx all have good traits and should be compatible with the cro, while the cro is pretty much the standard 'best' for power in hubs.

If you want more of nimble light ride consider a high power middrive like bzhwind's LMX style. There's a few bht builds listed on my build op also. You could set one up to run 60mph and still be more nimble and light.
They are usually either more expensive or more involved diy though.

For that much power and range you might not be happy with the weight and cost of the battery. It might be advisable to shoot for just enough battery to do basic range and comfortably supply enough amps for whatever motor/build you choose, since they are kinda the weak point of ebikes while having the most potential to improve quickly.

If you know anyone in Ontario there is a zero 2010 mx for $2300, on the Hamilton Kijiji. Cheaper easier?

welcome to the forum. your right on the money except your range- your gonna be too heavy. go for 30km range at 50kmh or 15 at 80kmh:) :mrgreen: somewhere around 1500wh?

i enjoy my 120v 10ah pack . only has 10-12km range

can you lift your zero over your head? i can lift mine- sometimes i need to ! battery in backpack

Back