Crudd Demo 9

cruddbucket

100 µW
Hi ebike people

Just want to share my bike build which is still in progress.

I was inspired by my Friend Dan, after riding his Demo 9 with TC-80 and 72V 60A controller. We both come from a Downhill riding and racing background. Luckily
the Demo 9 frame is well suited to a conversion and we had them laying around from earlier days.

Here is Dan's conversion:

347v8fr.jpg

I contacted Crystalite direct (Kenny) who was very helpful, he sent me a TC80 and 96V 45A controller with 18FETS.

339hmrq.jpg

And here is the beginning, stripped down the Demo 9 and gave it a good clean. You may be able to tell just how filthy it was lol.

2jdj6eh.jpg

The motor controller is a good size and fits nicely here:

208bl8p.jpg

Most of the components are installed on the bike now. Same as on Dans bike we CNC milled some aluminium adapters to bolt the wheel on. This have held up to 6.5kW abuse for ~1000km. For the moment the axle nuts are simply loc-tited in place, further down the track we will fabricate a lock of some type.

4lkdu1.jpg

2czd30y.jpg

Was a bit of a pain to get the motor going as this is a first time installation for me, it didn't help I was using the CA V3 which doesn't make it very simple either.

30w5kb9.jpg

Got there in the end however with some help from Dan via Watsapp - he works offshore for 5 weeks at a time so unfortunately he couldn't be present to help. That would have accelerated the process but I sure wouldn't have learnt as much as I did.

s6m7u0.jpg

Here are some parts I 3D printed for the bike. A regen bracket for the handle bars, and 4 x stanchion clamps for the battery box. This stuff is strong and flexible.

sw966g.jpg

9rhca1.jpg

Here is a picture of the battery box installed, I may install a smaller box later but this will do for now. I can fit 6 x 6S 5000mAh packs in there.
Also soldering up the battery leads from box to controller as can be seen draped over the handle bars.

2wqy4qh.jpg

At this stage I was able to ride it around, pretty cool and stoked :) Need to calibrate the shunt resistance value though.

2hozmm8.jpg

Here is a picture after tyres inflated at the local petrol station. Some may dislike the battery box up the bow, but it really helps to balance the weight of the bike front and rear.

4iho29.jpg

Here are 4 x 6S 5000mAh packs in the box. Not what I am going to use but had them handy.

2zsv5dw.jpg

So that is where I am at now!

I still need to wire in the regen button, add a rear sproken, tensioner and chain... and lights front and rear.

But the modifications continue :p Dan and I have paid for two Adaptto Max-e controllers which are due to be sent early next month.
In the mean time I am considering trying 150V battery supply to this controller or doing a shunt soldering mod. Yolo.
When the Adaptto controllers turn up this one will be sold off.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Cheers
Luke

Hi cruddbucket

Nice bike !

I can't believe it ???!!! I'm building excately the same bike right now and it's almost dome .

Demo 9 + controller in the frame + 100v lipo on the fork .

Even the steering stem is the same . I still can't believe it :shock:

Cheer's

IRON DOG said:
Hi cruddbucket

Nice bike !

I can't believe it ???!!! I'm building excately the same bike right now and it's almost dome .

Demo 9 + controller in the frame + 100v lipo on the fork .

Even the steering stem is the same . I still can't believe it :shock:

Cheer's

Must be a glitch in the matrix haha!

I think the Demo is very well suited to electric conversion, plus it is a mega robust frame!

Had awesome time riding some trails over the weekend.

I decided to try 30S (125v) however as soon as I went to idle it, heard a small tick sound... turns out some mosfets have failed/shorted. Kind of sucks, as pretty confident it would be ok up to 150V. So got some soldering to do now and replace them.

Adaptto should be sent any day now, looking forward to that.

On another note, is anyone interested in this style of Dropouts? If there is enough interest I will make up a batch. They have been fine on a bike at 6.5kw for 600km's, but it's not operating with regen. Will post back if I have any issues once the max-e is installed and power cranked up.

Just to update;

Fixed the Crystalite controller - but shortly after that an Adaptto Max-e arrived in the mail. After some learning and tuning it is real animal! I have only pully 8kw from it so far. I doubt will be able to pull the full 12 or even near it as the batteries won't keep up.

ir7u6o.jpg

Got some new moon lights front and rear too

975xjo.jpg

15g9kk9.jpg

Hooked up to the powersupply and balance charging

jzjp5s.jpg

Looks like I will have to machine the dropout brackets from steel, after a small amount of regen use, they started to work loose. Getting by at the moment by packing with shims.

A Quilbix frame is looking quite appealing at the moment - anyone know what the price for one of those is in Aus?

Back