Crystalyte X5 axle, who wants one?

Wow, I didn't expect to hear you were doing the HT's. My stock axel is slowly compressing/twisting in the torque arms, so I definitely need something more beefy. The C-lyte axel material is beyond a joke.

I'm happy to Paypal over a deposit or whatever you required to get started. A few questions:
- Which steel is the strongest and most suitable for this application? If I'm going to do this, I'd like it to be as durable and safe as possible.
- Can you make the threaded axel portion slightly longer at the ends? 15mm or so on each end would be perfect.
- Is the overall dropout width required the same as the stock axels?

Hopefully it's easy to find a local machinist to press out the old one and swap in the new.

Cheers

Tench said:
cal3thousand said:
Too bad your'e not making HT axles... I would take one

trevc2 said:
Also interested in one for the HT3525 :)

I have made a few of the rear wheel HT/HS axles, I do have a drawing for these so could make some if there are takers?!

I can also offer the 3/4" bearing upgrade on these too. There will be a small amount of dremel work to do on the side covers to clear the larger dia journal that you would need to do yourself if I am just supplying the Axle/bearings.

PM me if your interested?

Simon.

I have already made a couple of axles for an HT and an HS, my 2nd build (link below) has an aluminium :shock: axle in it, it is a mid mount so no stress! and the HT I am using in my current build is getting one made in titanium. I would always change the axle before using the motor as it is less work than replacing it if (when) it breaks and damages the halls/fets/wiring!

I could make changes if you wished, BigSi's axle had a few modifications to make it more resistant to rotating in the dropouts, the EN24T I use for a replacement axle is very tough! the std material is like lead in comparison!

I also stop the threads 10mm short so where the axle sits in the frame and does not need to be threaded it is stronger.

If you want one send me your requirements by pm, when we has agreed on the details I will take a payment and get on with it.

Cheers Simon.

I suspect the one I have just done for BigSi for his lastest gen X5 will be the same as the 40xx series motors, as I have not had one in my hand so I cant know for sure, if you can send me an axle or a drawing we could take it from there.

BigSi's motor had the same O/D to the stator as my HS/HT motors but with a 38mm lam stack and a greater distance between the bearings (wider case) it could be the same as yours?

what price are we looking at?

and then theres shipping but thats another story...

btw i cought a couple of Tench in a river here once :D not so good eating. no offence :D :D

ridethelightning said:
what price are we looking at?

and then theres shipping but thats another story...

btw i cought a couple of Tench in a river here once :D not so good eating. no offence :D :D

Depends what you want, an over size axle with new over size (40 x 12 x 3/4" 2RS) bearings, increased dia threads, threads stopped short to strengthen the drop out area even more, new stainless washers and nylock nuts inc shipping £100. a std replacement without new bearings is £90. (no bearings but more machining time)

ridethelightning said:
Depends what you want, an over size axle with new over size (40 x 12 x 3/4" 2RS) bearings, increased dia threads, threads stopped short to strengthen the drop out area even more, new stainless washers and nylock nuts inc shipping £100. a std replacement without new bearings is £90. (no bearings but more machining time)

done at 100 pound sterling :D

ill pm for details.

btw. could there be a possible discount for say.... hyperthetically, an order of 20+?

The newer X5 is the same as the H40xx series axle, the H35xx is a little different.
I have even made one in aluminium for my mid-mounted H3540 and the key had no problem, the axle is made .03mm too big on the stator dia so it gets "Splined" as it is pressed in, I also use high temp Loctite as a lubricant when I press them in, this will give additional security.

I have drawings for the H35xx H40xx and newer pressed steel stator X5 axles so I can reproduce these with or without modifications.

Please Pm me if you need one, as a post in this thread could get missed if the thread has sunk again before I come on.

This thread was initially started to see if there was any interest. A sales thread has been started for these axles.

Sales section thread here;

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=58509

Tench said:
The newer X5 is the same as the H40xx series axle, the H35xx is a little different.
I have even made one in aluminium for my mid-mounted H3540 and the key had no problem, the axle is made .03mm too big on the stator dia so it gets "Splined" as it is pressed in, I also use high temp Loctite as a lubricant when I press them in, this will give additional security.

I have drawings for the H35xx H40xx and newer pressed steel stator X5 axles so I can reproduce these with or without modifications.

Please Pm me if you need one, as a post in this thread could get missed if the thread has sunk again before I come on.

This thread was initially started to see if there was any interest. A sales thread has been started for these axles.

Can you clarify a few things please- Is this for front wheels and rear wheels? You say newer but how is this axle definitively identified, what are the measurable or visible differences between the one you can supply a replacement for and those not suitable.

alsmith said:
Tench said:

Can you clarify a few things please- Is this for front wheels and rear wheels? You say newer but how is this axle definitively identified, what are the measurable or visible differences between the one you can supply a replacement for and those not suitable.

Hi, the X5 motors I have a drawing for is the type with pressed steel stator. Early ones had a cast aluminium support for the stator and a better quality axle.

The front wheel motors are designated HX25xx so all the motors I have mentioned are rears. Whether it is a HXxx25/40/48/65/80 makes no difference to the Axle. The first 2 number, ie 35xx or 40xx refere to the stator width and the 2 widths do have different axles, the last 2 numbers refer to its speed in kmh at a certain voltage, 35 series are rated at 36v and 40 series at 72v.

Simon,

Love you work! I'm getting ready to find someone to press in/out the axles on my HT3525. But I have a question: is there a preferred way to do it?

I've seen it done on YouTube, but they just rested the stator (against the windings!) right on the press. I would think that could damage the windings. Should a cylindrical adapter be made so that the contact is made on the stamped steel itself or am I just being a nanny?

And after this project, I will need a new axle for this X5305 that I have. Will need to convert it from front to a rear axle. :mrgreen:

i did it at a local garage a little while back.

i used short lengths of thick galvanised waterpipe, different diameters, to apply the pressure at the stator collar, (not on the windings!!!) and at the axle shoulder,not the threadded section that is too thin.

tip- get the pipe sections cut good and square to avoid sideways tipping in the press.

be keen to hear how tench does it too though... :D

cal3thousand said:
Simon,

Love you work! I'm getting ready to find someone to press in/out the axles on my HT3525. But I have a question: is there a preferred way to do it?

I've seen it done on YouTube, but they just rested the stator (against the windings!) right on the press. I would think that could damage the windings. Should a cylindrical adapter be made so that the contact is made on the stamped steel itself or am I just being a nanny?

And after this project, I will need a new axle for this X5305 that I have. Will need to convert it from front to a rear axle. :mrgreen:
I was going to PM you but thought it would be helpful to share..

I had an axle replaced, he (engineer) made a sleeve at my request and tryed pressing in the axle. No sleeve just pressed on the end of the thread. The threaded part snapped. He had to re do it for free with a collar after I got another axle. These fatter axles may be more forgiving .

this is a piece of cromoly pipe i used at the shoulder, i couldnt find the piece i used at the stator collar,to avoid pressing on the windings, but i think it was 1" waterpipe.

note- the pipe is just slightly smaller dia than the splines, allowing it to slip through the stator.

Attachments

• DSC00529.JPG
    DSC00529.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,490
  • DSC00530.JPG
    DSC00530.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,490
i would be interested in an axle for an hs3540. i broke one a while back and the motor has just been sitting around. does this new axle/larger bearing allow higher gauge wires? sorry i haven't read the whole thread entirely but i am definitely interested in a high quality axle - or at least one that isn't made out of butter.

Back