Crystalyte X5 axle, who wants one?

Cal I always use supports when pressing them out, the bottom one has an internal dia large enough for the axle to fit inside, this sits against the centre boss of the stator, and another tube on top over the threads to push from the shoulder. I have tried to push on the thread but if the axle bends it flirts out the press and could damage your windings.

Never sit the stator on its windings to push an axle in or out, always use tubes. and always use tubes over the threads when pressing a new axle in to avoid damage to the end thread.
jansevr said:
i would be interested in an axle for an hs3540. i broke one a while back and the motor has just been sitting around. does this new axle/larger bearing allow higher gauge wires? sorry i haven't read the whole thread entirely but i am definitely interested in a high quality axle - or at least one that isn't made out of butter.

Read this thread and also the sale thread, this was just an initial testing demand thread, there is a link to that thread in here somewhere then let me know what you would like me to supply.

Cheers Simon.

Hope your still around, as I have been looking for a x503 front hub axle for 2 years. Igot the hub used and the threads are in real bad shape. If it is possible I woud like the threaded ends 5/8 of an inch longer, hope to heard from you Iam on the west coast of Canada, here is my email rustynot@gmai.com

The threads on my front are also poor- the major diameter on mine is smaller than the standards specs on both sides, with one side worse than the other. I tried Crystalyte but they couldn't supply them, they'd probably have been poor anyway. In the end I used nyloc nuts - there seemed to be 2 different heights of nuts so i got the thickest so there was (possibly) more thread for better hold. The thread is M14 fine (1.5mm pitch). I torque to Crystalytes spec- Crystalyte advised 40Nm for my 5300 front hub motor.
Using good new nuts makes sure that the nut thread is good condition so your shaft isn't mating with an old worn or damaged thread.
btw it's safer to use steel nuts rather than be tempted by stainless steel ones- if the thread gets damaged or stripped your spindle would be more damaged than a stainless nut would. And there's less potential for electrolytic corrosion from dissimilar metal to the axle.
In one of the threads here there was a different kind of nut called fastenal Disc-lock that look interesting, but I haven't tried them. They look like they are a more modern take on using a locknut, and there's the advantage of longer length of contact with the thread.

Yeah, I'd be interested too- a quality one would be good- and as said Crystalyte can't supply them. I'd like one that's longer than standard too- an extra 10 - 20mm thread length would be nice. When researching sites I came across one that said the front and rear axles were the same but I'd always thought they were different. Maybe there are differences but they could be interchanged? I wouldn't risk trying without being certain but it would be good to know exactly what the differences are. I wonder if Crystalyte would supply the drawings so one could be made- it might be worth asking them. It used to be Kenny that was the contact for tech info, and he was very helpful so I'll try an email to them.

Back