Custom frame, full suspension cargo bike thread

Do you have an idea of how much the bike going to weigh when complete with batteries? I know its a cargo bike but just curious how much that large of a bike would weigh.

floppy2floppy said:
Do you have an idea of how much the bike going to weigh when complete with batteries? I know its a cargo bike but just curious how much that large of a bike would weigh.

I really dont know. At the moment my guess is the frame weighs 10 to 15kg. I will not be light as there is no chance i could of got some cromo tubing.
My batteries are 12kg.

Looking better and better. I really think it's time for big cargo bikes and pedicabs to get at least some suspension travel, which saves on rim and tire damage.

Lovely swingarm and pinchers.

Thanx. Whats pinchers? Had some good progress today and could not take picters as i have lost my phone in the morning, f*ck, that was few months old ONE X with all the data on it. Bollocks.

agniusm you are pretty awesome.. nice work. I am really enjoying your build.

You going to use it for rides into town to pick up supplies for home ? Wish you lived closer your so good at what you do.

I could use the help :)

How's the married life treating you ? I love your BMS mods as well. I should be putting mine together soon.

ohzee said:
agniusm you are pretty awesome.. nice work. I am really enjoying your build.

You going to use it for rides into town to pick up supplies for home ? Wish you lived closer your so good at what you do.

I could use the help :)

How's the married life treating you ? I love your BMS mods as well. I should be putting mine together soon.

Thanks. Married life is tough. Wife is always yapping about stuff i do, not enough money etc. etc. These builds are only oasis i can relax and enjoy life a bit more. I am hoping selling this bike so i have funds available for my front center hub steering developments and hopefully first prototype of cargo bike.
I wish i had friends not far away to meat up and talk, ride, build, develop ;)

The bike is on its feet:)
20130222_145727

20130222_145734

20130222_145740

20130222_145716

20130222_152014

20130222_153725

Yea I can attest that married life is not always easy.. think I am working on 15 yrs.

Bike looks pretty sweet.. I think you could turn that into a small jacuzzi.. or a 2-3 beer bike.

Your welding looks great also.. only negative I could find is the cigg :)

Keep it up cant wait for the maiden voyage.

ohzee said:
Yea I can attest that married life is not always easy.. think I am working on 15 yrs.

Bike looks pretty sweet.. I think you could turn that into a small jacuzzi.. or a 2-3 beer bike.

Your welding looks great also.. only negative I could find is the cigg :)

Keep it up cant wait for the maiden voyage.

With all that grinder metal dust and fumes from the welder cigg works as antidote :D . Thanks

Looking good. If the wife bugs you about the bike, tell her it's a triple girl strippergram bike. 2 naked dancing girls pop out of the front. When she asks about the 3rd, reply with "That depends."...Depends on what? "Well, if you stop bugging me about my work that keeps me busy and not out spending money on alcohol and dancing girls like other husbands, then of course you'll be on the back with me." Give her a reassuring hug and kiss, and say "Now let me get back to work." If you really want her to leave you alone, tell her you're at a stage now where she can help on the build, which is sure to keep her out of the shop. Then for the Coup de Grace (as long as you live commit to honor it), as she's leaving add "You know, when I sell this ebike I'm going to buy you a present with some of the money.".

edit-
Only one thing about the bike. I think you want to change the tubes that come down from the rear of the cargo area. Unless the seat will be raise a lot from how you're sitting in the pic, the seat area is too wide at the V. I did one ebike that wasn't quite that wide at the upper thigh and it wasn't comfortable getting feet on the ground. You want that to be comfortable for any size person to reach the ground, especially with the big loads that bike will be able to carry.

John

I see what John is saying in the pic of you sitting on the bike. It might get old having your leg rub that tube every stop. Perhaps the top tubes would be nicer if they followed the same lines as those bottom ones. If a fairing will eliminate the leg rubbing the corner of square tube, it might not matter. Only you can say if the tube gets irritating in use.

I thought so too about those tubes but they are fine for legs. the foot pegs or whatever you call them will be wider for comfy ride. Balancing will be fine too because you sit lower than usual and the legs are wider because of those tubes hence more stable when standing. I hope to implement electric stand on ignition off. Another reason of doing it so is design. I wanted it to narrow at the back gradually not to look chopped off at cargo box, more streamlined.

I'm anxious to see how you do the steering....and the "landing gear" too. Those are both open items for the bakfiets I have laid out.

have done some work on the bike today. have few projects going on so the progress is slow. Today i have got steering column made and installed:
20130311_173537

20130311_173937

20130311_173944

20130311_174429

20130311_181049

20130311_181209

20130311_181216

it feels very comfy. Still need foot pegs to see how its gonna be off the ground. I will feed all of the cables through the top of the head tube for clean build. Actually i have not decided yet if its gonna be the top or the side:) Tomorrow need to salvage U joint somewhere. I have scrapped the idea on using cable as them boat cables do cost some dough and i cant stretch that much on prototype. After steering is done i will ask my brother to tow me and test steering and mechanical aspects of the bike at 100kph top.

Got U joint from VW passat in scrapyard. Trimmed it a bit to loose some weight and it fits nicely my needs:
20130312_161423

20130312_161414

20130312_174008

20130312_174524

[youtube]4E4VWfFHEvg[/youtube]

Beautiful work!

A question from someone who knows nothing about steering: Why control the front fork from only one side? Would be it more accurate/precise if done from both sides?

Back