• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

CYC X1 Stealth (NEW)

hello everybody, i am seriously considering buying a x1 stealth to convert a hartdail bike to a emtb for around 2000$ for everyday riding but there is also bbshd which will cost around the same when i upgrade Controller to asi 855 and a better chainring
(or it might even be more expensive)
so my question is this motor overall better ?
i see the bbshd has 6kg which would make the bike quite heavy where this motor isnt that heavy
also i read that newer model x1 stealth is not so noisy, i hope someone can confirm this
also can this motor be run on 2000w+? because the controller could handle it i think
i want to run 52v battery

If you want quiet get the bbshd
You won't need more than 1500w from the stealth for everyday riding, especially on a hard tail!
You won't notice the weight of either when riding, only when you have to lift the bike over a gate.
Just my opinion:)

i dont need a super quiet motor im fine with it as long as it doesnt bother other riders on road
i would get like to know from someone if its a good everyday motor for the street or is it rather build for real mountain bike Enthusiasts
i have a tsdz2 with osf bike right now im happy with it however i want something with more power
bbshd doesnt have torque sensor thats the biggest letdown
overall i think i will wait a few months till more people can report on this motor

I am also thinking about one of these Stealths for a gravel/road bike. Ticks all the boxes.... enough power, light weight, torque sensor. BBHSD is a no go for me since it doesn't have torque sense... and it is an incredibly heavy lump. I also have an OSF TSDZ2 on a hard tail and a CYC X1 Pro on a dual susp MTB. I also ride the CYC bike on the road and it does just fine there.

Matze_Senpai said:
i dont need a super quiet motor im fine with it as long as it doesnt bother other riders on road
i would get like to know from someone if its a good everyday motor for the street or is it rather build for real mountain bike Enthusiasts
i have a tsdz2 with osf bike right now im happy with it however i want something with more power
bbshd doesnt have torque sensor thats the biggest letdown
overall i think i will wait a few months till more people can report on this motor

EDIT: was asking about use of these for cargo purposes but clearly the more suitable unit is the X1 Pro so will post on the relevant thread. Cheers.

Matze_Senpai said:
hello everybody, i am seriously considering buying a x1 stealth to convert a hartdail bike to a emtb for around 2000$ for everyday riding but there is also bbshd which will cost around the same when i upgrade Controller to asi 855 and a better chainring
(or it might even be more expensive)
so my question is this motor overall better ?
i see the bbshd has 6kg which would make the bike quite heavy where this motor isnt that heavy
also i read that newer model x1 stealth is not so noisy, i hope someone can confirm this
also can this motor be run on 2000w+? because the controller could handle it i think
i want to run 52v battery

I have tried them all, and I would wait on getting a Stealth. The torque sensor doesn't play a big part for the stealth, like it does for a TSDZ2. Rumor has it that CYC at some point will be improving the low rpm power and the torque sensor will be a bigger part of the programming. I HOPE IT HAPPENS ASAP! Because it has no low-end power now, only high rpm power.

RickHoran said:
By what method will low-end torque be improved?

From what I understand, it could be a combination of controller setup that changes the way the torque sensor input affects the controller, and a motor with different windings so it's like most electric motors that have close to the same torque from low rpm to high rpm. The current setup only has power from midway and builds as the rpm increases. If you use a Bafang or a TSDZ2, they have power from the beginning to the top. Also, when you hit a climb, they increase power as the load increases. With the current CYC Stealth, when you start an upgrade, the power drops off fast, so you have to keep shifting down quickly and a lot and hopefully find a gear that will get you to the top of the hill. If not, you go back down, leave it in the lowest gear and get the motor high in its rpm, and hope you don't have to let off because if you let up, you get to try again. The CYC power assists have a lot of potential, but they need to be improved so they work as well as the competition under load or, let's hope, end up better than the competition.

The 2 Stealth kits that I ordered straight from CYC took a long time to get to Western Australia . That was when CYC were having trouble with their controller supply chain though . Once they were shipped they were here in 2 weeks .IMG_4050.JPG

How does it ride for you? And can you show details and close up pic of your battery mount?

Nomadstealth said:
The 2 Stealth kits that I ordered straight from CYC took a long time to get to Western Australia . That was when CYC were having trouble with their controller supply chain though . Once they were shipped they were here in 2 weeks .IMG_4050.JPG

The Stealth is a great system and I think it rides close to a production EMTB . A good production EMTB wins for integration and looks but the Stealth wins for torque and price . Not to mention that I can pedal past 50 KMPH. and it's still got more .

The battery bracket I made is all alloy flat bar and angle bolted together with M5 and M3 stainless bolts , riv-nutted into the downtube . The hardest part was getting the battery angle just right for clearance of the front wheel without sacrificing too much ground clearance . If I'd mounted the battery flat to the downtube the front wheel would have hit it under full compression .

P.S. the little box above the battery is a tool kit .IMG_4060.JPGIMG_4061.JPG

Nomad... That's a great build!
You're right, factory emtbs win for looks and integration but I like the way the stealth rides and that I can try it on different bikes. I think I've moved it between four now.
Currently on a Nicolai...
full

For the last 4 years, I have done the ride I did today many times with a BBS02 and a TSDZ2. Today was the first time with the Stealth, 40 miles, 1900 feet climbing, 70 degrees F outside. On the downhill, flat, small uphill climbs the CYC Stealth did well as long as I kept it at a high RPM. But when I started the longer climbs I was doing well with the motor set at 3 out of 9 it would put out 650 watts. Then the longer I rode it would over heat and start dropping in watts down to 200 watts. Then my friend riding with me would pass me with his TSDZ2 and leave me behind, then I would stop and let it cool down, and it would repeat the same thing again. What I learned from this is that even in my lowest gear, it was way too easy to overheat the Stealth. This was the last straw I am going to go back to the TSDZ2 until CYC gets things fixed!

jeff.page.rides said:
For the last 4 years, I have done the ride I did today many times with a BBS02 and a TSDZ2. Today was the first time with the Stealth, 40 miles, 1900 feet climbing, 70 degrees F outside. On the downhill, flat, small uphill climbs the CYC Stealth did well as long as I kept it at a high RPM. But when I started the longer climbs I was doing well with the motor set at 3 out of 9 it would put out 650 watts. Then the longer I rode it would over heat and start dropping in watts down to 200 watts. Then my friend riding with me would pass me with his TSDZ2 and leave me behind, then I would stop and let it cool down, and it would repeat the same thing again. What I learned from this is that even in my lowest gear, it was way too easy to overheat the Stealth. This was the last straw I am going to go back to the TSDZ2 until CYC gets things fixed!
what voltage did you run the cyc?

I have TSDZ2 and CYC X1 Pro bikes. Doing fast rides with that kind of climbing, your friend's TSDZ2 must have had cooling mods... or it has extra crispy windings. Most of my rides around here do about 2000 climbing in 30 miles and my TSDZ2 in stock form would quickly approach critical temp on the climbs. I added cooling mods and fixed that. I have never seen any power pull back on the CYC X1, but I don't know what the temps are doing inside it.

jeff.page.rides said:

raylo32 said:
I have TSDZ2 and CYC X1 Pro bikes. Doing fast rides with that kind of climbing, your friend's TSDZ2 must have had cooling mods... or it has extra crispy windings. Most of my rides around here do about 2000 climbing in 30 miles and my TSDZ2 in stock form would quickly approach critical temp on the climbs. I added cooling mods and fixed that. I have never seen any power pull back on the CYC X1, but I don't know what the temps are doing inside it.

jeff.page.rides said:

The X1 Pro has a much better motor than the Stealth and doesn't have an air gap motor like the stealth has so the X1 Pro cools much better.

marjoriefinnigan said:
Nomad... That's a great build!
You're right, factory emtbs win for looks and integration but I like the way the stealth rides and that I can try it on different bikes. I think I've moved it between four now.
Currently on a Nicolai...
full

Really good minimalist build . I like the Motor in the triangle a lot , looks awesome .

Stealth motors are able to be mounted on the majority of bikes , no problems . Dual suspension bikes with a pivot in front of the seat tube are not no problems , the bracket that holds the motor in place needs to go where the pivot is . With some extension pieces it can be done :-IMG_4062.JPGIMG_4063.JPG

I just finished a 52V X1 Stealth build around a Chromag Surface Voyager frame that I plan to use for commuting/touring. I've done some short shakedown rides and all seems to work really well, but I don't have much experience with it yet. The build turned out great - I did add a custom bracket to help support the motor mount and keep it from denting the downtube. Here are some pictures in case they're useful to others. I've moved on from my TSDZ2 builds now that the X1 Stealth is available... there was simply too much heat management with the TSDZ2.
Chromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1a.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1b.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1d.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1e.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1h.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1i.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1j.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1k.jpg

Looks like a nice build. How is the noise factor? My X1 Pro Gen 2 bike is really loud as compared to my TSDZ2 bike. I find it to be annoyingly so. Maybe I'll try the brass gear swap on it one of these days. BTW, TSDZ2 heat is easily managed with decent cooling mods. I used copper mesh wrap in mine and it never approaches critical temperatures. See the TSDZ2 cooling mod thread. Some other Stealth owners were complaining about power pullbacks due to motor heating. Let us know your experience, please.

bikesnobyyc said:
I just finished a 52V X1 Stealth build around a Chromag Surface Voyager frame that I plan to use for commuting/touring. I've done some short shakedown rides and all seems to work really well, but I don't have much experience with it yet. The build turned out great - I did add a custom bracket to help support the motor mount and keep it from denting the downtube. Here are some pictures in case they're useful to others. I've moved on from my TSDZ2 builds now that the X1 Stealth is available... there was simply too much heat management with the TSDZ2.
Chromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1a.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1b.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1d.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1e.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1h.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1i.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1j.jpgChromag Surface Voyager (2022) 1k.jpg

The noise is moderate, no worse than the TSDZ2. Noticable, but okay and within expectations. Build quality is night and day compared to the TSDZ2 (I run the OSF versions). The X1 just feels like a much better quality product overall. I'm aware of the cooling mods with the TSDZ2... I just never found the time to go that route and then the X1 showed up. Power on the X1 is amazing by comparison, so much so that I need to do some tuning to make sure it doesn't eat the small cogs on my brand new 10-52T cassette. It seems to keep a fair bit of torque applied when shifting, even when I back off during shifts... I'm hoping a simple timing fix in software will solve that. Otherwise, it's been very promising given the 15 minutes of ride time I've had on it so far. Mechanically, everything is perfect, I now just need to make some fine adjustments in software.

PS - in many ways the X1 feels a lot like the OEM motor Rocky Mountain uses, and has a similar noise level. Not as refined as the other OEM motors, but certainly decent.

Where you wrote X1 you meant Stealth, right? Interesting about the noise... my TSDZ2 is essentially dead quiet with the standard blue gear. Whereas my CYC X1 Pro Gen 2 sounds, as another owner here puts it, like a swarm, of angry bees. I wish I could hear a Stealth in person.

bikesnobyyc said:
The noise is moderate, no worse than the TSDZ2. Noticable, but okay and within expectations. Build quality is night and day compared to the TSDZ2 (I run the OSF versions). The X1 just feels like a much better quality product overall. I'm aware of the cooling mods with the TSDZ2... I just never found the time to go that route and then the X1 showed up. Power on the X1 is amazing by comparison, so much so that I need to do some tuning to make sure it doesn't eat the small cogs on my brand new 10-52T cassette. It seems to keep a fair bit of torque applied when shifting, even when I back off during shifts... I'm hoping a simple timing fix in software will solve that. Otherwise, it's been very promising given the 15 minutes of ride time I've had on it so far. Mechanically, everything is perfect, I now just need to make some fine adjustments in software.

PS - in many ways the X1 feels a lot like the OEM motor Rocky Mountain uses, and has a similar noise level. Not as refined as the other OEM motors, but certainly decent.

raylo32 said:
Where you wrote X1 you meant Stealth, right? Interesting about the noise... my TSDZ2 is essentially dead quiet with the standard blue gear. Whereas my CYC X1 Pro Gen 2 sounds, as another owner here puts it, like a swarm, of angry bees. I wish I could hear a Stealth in person.

bikesnobyyc said:

Yes, I meant X1 Stealth. The TSDZ2 with the blue gear is reasonably quite, I agree, but with the brass gear (what I use) it has a moderate whine that's about the same as the X1 Stealth for loudness, but I prefer the noise of the Stealth. It's certainly not a Levo. Like I said, the noise is moderate IMO, and part of that appears to be coming from the chain assembly vs the motor itself, while the TSDZ2 has its noise coming form the internal gears, with the brass gear adding quite a whine.

Back