cyclone 3pc chainwheel---why 3?

PJIII

1 W
I am just trying to understand the purposes of the 3 chainwheels. Understand one to go the rear wheel, one to go to the motor so where does the other chain go to?---what is it for?

hi,
outside ring goes to motor, middle ring to rear wheel, inside ring (smallest) is to allow pedalling if battery or motor dies
i.e. get home mode you need a front deraillier or move the chain by hand onto the small ring. Only uses two chains.

hope this helps

Ian :D

Dingo2024 said:
hi,
outside ring goes to motor, middle ring to rear wheel, inside ring (smallest) is to allow pedaling if battery or motor dies
i.e. get home mode you need a front derailleur or move the chain by hand onto the small ring. Only uses two chains.

hope this helps

Ian :D

Wouldn't the main chain to the rear allow you to pedal home anyway? Cyclone shows the rear chain on the inside or smallest of the 3 chainwheels. I also see a seat-post derailleur---could it be that they just provided an extra gear(s) of a different size to be used via the derailleur? AAHHH NO, I just noticed that the two large chainwheels are of the same tooth count so now I REALLY don't understand how the 3 chainwheels are supposed to work!!!

I may install the motor on the front tube between the BB & TB &------from the way the Cyclone site looks to get that type of motor mount I need to order the 3 chainwheel- kit.

So, do I have this right?--or wrong?

Thanks

I am not sure, after thinking about it, that I am clear about the intended use of the 3rd chainwheel. Would someone please explain?

I did some calculations once for 3 rings. Since you have two up front, it allows for a much wider range of gears. The front derailleur should remain functional for shifting capability.

The setup I considered allowed 6mph at full throttle in the lowest gear with a ton of torque.

And

It allowed 30+ mph in highest gear, full throttle.

You cannot achieve as wide a range with only 2 rings.

TPA said:
I did some calculations once for 3 rings. Since you have two up front, it allows for a much wider range of gears. The front derailleur should remain functional for shifting capability.

The setup I considered allowed 6mph at full throttle in the lowest gear with a ton of torque.

And

It allowed 30+ mph in highest gear, full throttle.

You cannot achieve as wide a range with only 2 rings.

It seems that two of the chainrings have the same tooth-count with one being used for the motor & the other for ????---the smallest is used to drive the rear wheel.

unless i'm mistaken, the drive ring is the outter most ring, and could be the same size as the one next to it.
the inner two are of different sizes and are shiftable and both are capable of driving the rear wheel.

TPA said:
unless i'm mistaken, the drive ring is the outter most ring, and could be the same size as the one next to it.
the inner two are of different sizes and are shiftable and both are capable of driving the rear wheel.

When you purchase a 3 chainwheel it comes with a new crank sprocket that is equiped with a freewheel with a smaller sprocket on it. The larger of these 2 sprockets (outside sprocket and normally a 36t or 44t) is connected to the rear wheel sprocket. the inside (smaller) sprocket is connected to the motor. The motor sprocket also has a freewheel. When peddling and not running the motor the freewheel on the motor sprocket allows this to happen without the motor running or damaging the motor. The freewheel on the crank sprocket allow the motor to run without turning the peddles. The system only uses 2 chains as indicated above but 3 sprocket...hence the name "3 Chainwheel" Chainwheel meaning sprockets not chains. It's a great system that works well. The only problem with it is I always felt you peddle sprocket should be larger (48t to 56t). Because you no longer have multiply crank sprocket you don't do any crank shifting you can only shift your original rear sprockets. :mrgreen:

Here is what I was planning which was not cyclone products, but my own stuff which is the same setup as cyclone from what I have seen.

View attachment gears.bmp

As you can see, the front chainrings can be used to change the gear ratio driven by the motor.

3-chainwheel-crank.jpg

this picture from cyclone parts is what threw me off--it shows two equal size chainwheels & states it in the caption--it must just be some odd part. The server keeps putting up duplicate pics!!!

View attachment 2

One pic shows 3 chainwheels of unequal size w/ inside smaller one's chain pointed toward rear wheel.

The other shows the chain from the motor to the outside or largest sprocket.

So, it may be that the derailleur is being used to shift the rear wheel chain between the inside & middle chainwheels. I DO NOT KNOW---I am just trying to understand it.

This video shows the smaller inside chainring connected to the rear wheel, The outer chainwheel to the motor, & the middle one unused but I think it has a front deraileur so it may be used. [youtube]sauuNKR4MIg[/youtube]

chainwheel-motor-chain.jpg

Attachments

• 3 chainwheel verticle.jpg
    3 chainwheel verticle.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,748
It just might be possible to configure it either way depending on the gearing situation you want to try.

If you wanted to try some extreme speed on a downhill run, you may try running the motor to the smaller inside sprocket. In this case, It would not matter which of the other two larger sprockets you use to drive the rear wheel.

It is all dependent on the ability of the motor to be lined up with those sprockets.

Based on the video it looks like there is no freewheel on the crank assemlby so the peddles have to turn when the motor turns. Am I correct or is the a freewheel on the crank assembly to protect the rider? I ask because normally is the is a freewheel on the crank assembly the peddles won't spin like that. And if there isn't a freewheel those peddles will beat you to death.

dumbass said:
Based on the video it looks like there is no freewheel on the crank assemlby so the peddles have to turn when the motor turns. Am I correct or is the a freewheel on the crank assembly to protect the rider? I ask because normally is the is a freewheel on the crank assembly the peddles won't spin like that. And if there isn't a freewheel those peddles will beat you to death.

I believe you are correct---no freewheel---@ least that is what I see.

PJIII said:
dumbass said:

I believe you are correct---no freewheel---@ least that is what I see.

I gotta tell ya that is very dangerous. My wife's crank freewheel was damaged so I put mine on her bike and put back a crank without a freewheel on my bike so we could go for a ride together. My foot slipped off the peddle while the motor was on and the peddles just beat the crap out of my heels and calves until I stopped the bike. I was only a block from home and that's where I headed (HOME). There is no way I would ever do that again and I highly recommend no one else does ether. I maybe a dumbass but I'm not stupid!! :roll:

it must have a free wheel ? im pretty sure it has can anyone confirm ?

without a free wheel is useless on the crank

From the cyclone Taiwan website for 3 crank install:
3c10.jpg

That bronze colored center is a freewheel.
And a freewheel on the motor as well:

3c14.jpg

This is what the freewheel looks like by itself.
103210.gif

There actually doesn't seem to be a logical reason for the extra 44 tooth chain ring.

I converted mine to 2 chain rings when i replaced that freewheel with the white industries version.

on second thought i think it makes sense that you could move the chain over to the 2nd 44 tooth and have a better pedaling speed, if the motor ever quits on you.

oh well, its already gone on my setup lol.

Re: New Trike build---Gomier w/ Cyclone 24 V 650 ...

Some have questioned just how one can use a 3 Pc. chainwheel on an electric bike. It means being able to shift your front derailleur with the motor chain running on the chainwheel next to it & it does not seem that there would be room for two chains to pass & ordinarily I do not think there would be. However, in the case of a Cyclone 3 Pc. chainwheel kit there is a space created between the motor-driven chainwheel & the adjacent chainwheel by the freewheel. As far as the derailleur is concerned, due to the "space" it does not intrude into the path of the motor chain. The motor chainwheel is also the outside chainwheel with the the center & inside chainwheels being shift-able. The front derailleur has to have a span of at least 20 teeth ---the difference between the largest chainwheel tooth-count & the smallest. It also must have a range up to at least 44 teeth---the largest chainwheel & down to at least 24 teeth---the smallest chainwheel. Although it may appear that I mounted the motor so that the derailleur is centered between its chain that is not the case---I just want the motor out of the way--I could have mounted it any wher without chain interference.3-chainwheel-crank.jpg Below are a few pictures to help clarify the matters---note the gap between the two largest chainwheels Trike chains.jpg3-chainwheel-crank.jpgNote the gap between the two large chainwheels---the outside one is for the motor.

Back