DH dual motor = LR mid drive + Grin all-axle front hub

Marin said:
John that front motor will be good for when the mid breaks something and you need to get home, one of the extras you get with a front motor is your front wheel spinning out, take care man,

I agree on both points too. I had and still am trying to find info about the spin out. It's hard to track down because there are very few riders off road with a front motor.
I am trying to imagine how it would go.

Will it tend slip because of the extra weight. A bit like when you don't have enough grip / traction on gravel? even without it being powered.... and then when it is powered would it slide out more or would self correct more? I know one thing for sure it will be learning to lean differently for a very long time.

EDIT: spinning out of the dropouts is not so much of a factor since the there is no twisting force at the axle compared to every other hub motor. How the torque arm will relate to the axle still remains to be seen.

I guess I meant giving some gas and losing traction, kinda the opposite of what you want.

I'm definitely going that route, I have ordered it to be paired with a phase runner. I will have to build the wheel myself since I didn't want to wait for grin to order in a 32 spoked rim....

It's funny when I look at a few different webpages that pit front vs rear.

The usual is front is not suitable for off road, steep because of traction. But if you can find a page about 2wd then it is suitable for off road because you get more traction. lol

Other notes

it is hard to cook a front hub motor on steep because it will spin out before you can bog it down.

From a motorcycle page... that I thought of.

Conventional telescopic fork front suspension is not suitable for 2WD. With the front wheel pulling the angle of the forks makes them extend and it interferes with the suspension action. It places extra stresses on the forks. The forks can cope with a lot of force under hard braking but that is also the time when the forks are compressed reducing the leverage on them. But with the front wheel driving the forks extend increasing the leverage on them.

I must admit I got bored of posting here every fail I had. It just isn't news. But when I tell people I have a fail every few rides I can't remember dates so its worth starting again.....

Today I broke another rear tooth off a sprocket, lost a clip pin and spacer of mc tensioner too.... (CA not related but worth mentioning started cutting out and giving me PC CONNECT display...

not a good one....

Days like this I feel like ripping off the mid drive.

Yeah Marin would have been nice to have the second motor today....

John if you rode around like a cream puff you might not break so much stuff, but where's the fun in that. You drive like a race driver and they break every time almost.
Ride on bro

Yeah, if anyone wants to test components threshold, you can go through John :)

Just curious, would left hand drive be more reliable?

thanks for cheering me up, I could break a sledge hammer.... even with 5 points to contain a bouncing chain it still let loose..... This one blame on the tensioner wheel coming loose and going out of line... It is impossible to get a straight chain line when the pivots allow the swingarm to twist....

Left hand drive on swingarm would be great.

Custom extended swingarm would be required & or smaller rear wheel.... tempted to get someone to fabricate one

you need gears on the mid drive motor man :lol: dont need a front hub on a DH bike :wink:

Thanks Drew! Gnarly defo.

Yeah bikes been sitting in the van for a couple of days, didn't realise how much all the guards I've made help till I was bout to get it out.

15732153_10154675537599845_5410799110739971890_o.jpg

Yeah, looks like it worked. John, what size battery packs everyone has. Looks like you guys are going far out.

We did what I don't like the idea of recharged off our running cars. Point against ebikes for me and I really would like some kind of solar battery storage system but just no money right now.

The cyclone is about 10ah he has two packs just swaps in his back pack. The rear hub was 15ah, I am still on 10ah with usable about 7ah since I charge 22s to 90v about 80%.

I have had 5ah of 22s extra batts sitting in a box for a month now, I just don't want to put on my bike yet because I know it's going to ruin all the design look. Basically gona look crap with all wiring all over the place again.

99% of my riding is under 7ah. That ride was 4 days ago and my knees and hands are still sore. Think I'm getting to old to go for longer rides.... :oops:

On another topic...

I need to spend time to reconnect the extra CA for the mid drive throttle ONLY for throttle ramping. It's such a bulk thing to carry but the torque is just un controllable otherwise.

16106778_10154727754644845_1057220244_o.jpg

I have been running sickbikeparts sprockets in 40t for a while on the mid drive and absolutely love the design everything is perfect except the steel they use is shit. This basically means I need to replace those every few months. I am running an experiment now, I bought the usual 104 bcd but came across $20 stainless steel bicycle sprockets for the first time. I also have an adaptor from sbp so all I need now is 219 pitch sprocket that will adapt to 104 bcd.

So I designed the above in both sprocketeer and emachineshop software and also played with freecad. This is my first foray into cnc cad design. And I chose the worst pitch to start with. I spent a week researching with very little conclusive results. I then also spent another week searching for viable machinists.

Only time will tell if this stainless steel 4mm sprocket will work out.

Update on the bike.

a couple of weeks ago I went out for an off road ride. The rear chain jumped and jammed. The front motor was not enough for the steep hills and had to push up quite a few but still, I am glad I had the front motor for everything else.

How does the front motor feel when riding?

Off road it feels like a bit of vibration, more so the more back you sit. I haven't noticed that concept on a rear hub most probably because the riders weight plants the wheel hard.
On road there's a bit less of that feel on the front when going slow and trying to get going.

Dropping off a foot like a log or step or rock etc.... it doesn't feel as nice that's for sure. It feels like dead weight and I used to be able to just pull up the front to go up a step. Now I need to compress the suspension first to help me spring up.

Does it change your steering?

Not really noticing much there at all.

Is it worth it?

In a perfect world NO. While the mid drive is in constant need of repairs YES

I haven't had a chain on the bike while working on it for a while, and rode the bike to the shops just with the front motor. No problems getting there and back even with hills. You just need a run up....

Would I choose a front motor over a rear motor to give up on the mid drive?

Not really for crazy riding no. But if you are the type who loves to pedal and extend range and like to have a perfect mtb cassette working 100% like it should yes.
I still want to try this front hub on my carbon bike which I can't find anything else that would suit.

a bit off topic: I bought 5ah a while back to take my 10ah up to 15. I thought for ages where to put it but this frame is just going to get ugly as hell to add on. A complete redesign seems like a waste so I never put it on. HOwever I left my black bike ON for over a week and lost all the battery as a result... I might put the 5ah onto the black bike.... painful waste of money....

John Bozi said:
Update on the bike.

a couple of weeks ago I went out for an off road ride. The rear chain jumped and jammed. The front motor was not enough for the steep hills and had to push up quite a few but still, I am glad I had the front motor for everything else.

How does the front motor feel when riding?

Off road it feels like a bit of vibration, more so the more back you sit. I've noticed that concept on a rear hub most probably because the riders weight plants the wheel hard.
On road there's a bit less of that feel on the front when going slow and trying to get going.

Dropping off a foot like a log or step or rock etc.... it doesn't feel as nice that's for sure. It feels like dead weight and I used to be able to just pull up the front to go up a step. Now I need to compress the suspension first to help me spring up.

Does it change your steering?

Not really noticing much there at all.

Is it worth it?

In a perfect world NO. While the mid drive is in constant need of repairs YES

I haven't had a chain on the bike while working on it for a while, and rode the bike to the shops just with the front motor. No problems getting there and back even with hills. You just need a run up....

Would I choose a front motor over a rear motor to give up on the mid drive?

Not really for crazy riding no. But if you are the type who loves to pedal and extend range and like to have a perfect mtb cassette working 100% like it should yes.
I still want to try this front hub on my carbon bike which I can't find anything else that would suit.

a bit off topic: I bought 5ah a while back to take my 10ah up to 15. I thought for ages where to put it but this frame is just going to get ugly as hell to add on. A complete redesign seems like a waste so I never put it on. HOwever I left my black bike ON for over a week and lost all the battery as a result... I might put the 5ah onto the black bike.... painful waste of money....

I'm sad for your batteries. member Kfong did a smart LVC switch for that......
Very interesting report about the grin motor, thanks to share your feelings. I'm sure in a true offroad light freerider, where the complete front wheel could weight a mere 2.5 or 3 Kg, a front motor does not make any sense. I guess That motor applies better to an high end build mostly intended for flat to mild ascents at speed (dual motor), or to transfom in minutes a True DH/FR machine into a commuter for urban purposes (front motor only) simply swapping a wheel and cleanly.

personally, I would try it in my bike with a LH parallel astro drive that actually I keep very short in gearing with a 19/1 total reduction over a 24" wheel that translates into 53kph @ fully charged 12s. Having the front motor wounded mostly for stand start till say 20 MPH would allow me to gear down the Astro till maybe 13-14/1 with a 26" wheel, increasing top speed till 75kph without probably any concern at low speed. with my street/hookworm configuration it should be a fun. But it will probably cure the power wheeling tendencies, that's not cool :mrgreen: .

About your buiId, I would suggest you to get the sigmacom app for one of your CA, I think it should be very convenient in your situation. you could have in the handlebar only 1 CA plus an android device wirelessly conncted to the other CA, and the other CA could be hidden in the battery case or any other position, near the controller or near the shunt, if you have an external one, to even shorten the cables.

Resuming the last posts on the "fitting splines on freewheels" thread, If you intend to make sandwich splined adapters like the origin8/fouriers/P.S. ones, seems reasonable to me to start from the HG sprocket measures (that is a pseudo-standard, especially for the major diameter) and, retromeasuring your body of choice, make them tighter than the normal fit.
A -.25 or even more for the minor diameter, and -10 for the major diameter from the standard should be ok for that purpose, so it will be a much more precise fit with more contact area.
It is better to start machining a tight fit even with the risk to have it not fitting at all rather than have it lax. What engage and must be precise and smooth, are the tab sides, so if you respect the 40° you can eventually file out the minor and the major DIA a bit to let it finally slide on. In a cassette assembly, once locked, the arc surfaces are never in contact, only the radial parts of the surfaces, engage, so a filed arc surface is not a concern, if you get what I mean.

Going even further, the more you close the tolerance between the circles, especially the major one, the more you need to decrease the spline number, till the extreme situation where you have an almost precise fit and a single one or 2 splines/key.

A reasonable approach (yet made by some manufacturer,) should be a 3 splines design, and a much more tight fit than standard. This leads to only three edge engaged but with much more contact area and less wobble.

Thanks Panurge for your info on these even though this time around I took a wild blind punt with the guy making them for me. I do hope that he did indeed substitute his design
instead of mine for the spline (im waiting on confirmation) and he didn't want to divulge his proportions either. I do get exactly what you mean because I got a small version of my design done... and yes the teeth are poorly engaging... and the diameters were too large....

If he did copy mine I have $150au of stainless which will be loose. LIve and learn probably. Yet I believe when and the whole body is covered it should hopefully tighten up enough to still work.... hopefully hopefully without a wobble.
16587021_10154803564534845_5832143537644532321_o.jpg

In regards to my front hub it runs through the phase runner which is torque sensing which means it offers almost no full power from low speeds, so much so that it can't even get me up my drive way. It's a really weird concept that I am not 100% sold on. Yet, being a motor that overheats so much it does make sense to not waste much to heat until near full speed it wants to climb too.

Having to hide the CA anywhere on the bike is still problematic real estate wise. I don't need to be able to use it via an app. If I could just hide I would ..... it serves no purpose on a ride except to tell me how many ah used which I could add to used on the other to get the full amount. even that is pretty much a waste since I just look at volts left.

if properly packed and locked, I'm sure the assembly will work without wobble, the question is mostly if the side engage is enough to not get fast indentations in the freehub body, if it's alloy, and/or splined inserts themselves.
Yes I understand your point about the CA/Android question. I just saw your double CA handlebar and think that a single CA and a small screen android device could be a valid alternative. I'm very satisfied with that App :D , It works as a CA analogger with GPS and has a very well made interface, and you can view and analyze second per second (or less) and meter per meter all the CA stats of the recorded trace. In any case I think It's a must to have for the CA owners even if only for occasional usage, because for little money adds very useful features to the CA and can be used in any CA equipped bike, so it's very useful for systems comparison, or to have real world data to store about the aging of your battery. After 100 cycles, I can easily see that during the ascent to my house, my battery voltage drops more than the first times, And I can see that meter per meter, segment per segment comparing 2 logs of the same ascent made in different times.
I'm sure sooner or later the CA will integrate a bluetooth dongle by default.

I wish CA would have a minimal sized version, display only enough to set parameters. Looking at takes away from the ride for me, but its essential to take care of temp and ramp, and just get ah readings occasionally.

Just found out the design was as I thought from the pics not altered from mine... shame because if I had waited for my local test piece I could have sent much better design. Anyways....

I have also found time to mount up the my sprocket and the two adapters and that is a relief to spin power through to see at least I got the 219 sprocket perfect.....

16730600_10154827549774845_2143773755802705077_n.jpg

Back