Direction for IS Caliper Adapter

LewTwo

1 MW
This is probably another one of those "but everyone already knows that" questions .... I do not.

So I am looking at my IS Caliper adapter (purchased via Amazon of course),
IS Adapter 20mm(1280).jpg

I note the arrow on one face and assume (never a good idea) that it indicates the direction that the part should be oriented. All that is well and good but what does it mean. Searching on line I found some references that state it needs to point "UP", some that said to the "FRONT", some to the "REAR" and one that said in the direction of "ROTATION". Obviously most of these people were thinking about the mounting on their own personal bicycle frame. They did not consider the possibility that the caliper might be in front or behind or above or below the axle depending on the design of a particular bicycle frame.

For the record I am mounting (trying) an AVID BB7 Road caliper on the rear of the bicycle with a 160 mm diameter rotor. The mount is located in front and above the axle. I also note that one end is a bit longer than the other and that difference seems to increase as the Rotor size increases.

I am guessing that the "ARROW" points "AWAY" from the axle.
Or to state it another way:
The "TALL" end is supposed to be closer to the axle than the "SHORT" end.

Now, would someone that actually knows, please correct me.
Thank thee :)

Arrow should correspond with direction of rotor travel. You will find your rotor has a similar arrow: Make both arrows point the same direction. Forward.

DogDipstick said:
Arrow should correspond with direction of rotor travel. You will find your rotor has a similar arrow: Make both arrows point the same direction. Forward.
The problem being that regardless of orientation the arrow is nearly perpendicular to rotation.

If you visualize it installed on a fork, the tall end is at the bottom of the fork, and the arrow points up.
It goes the same relative way in the back.
Sometimes Avids will ride high on the rotor because of the spacer washers they use.
But if you leave the washers out, sometimes the frame end of the mount isn't parallel to the rotor.
Also the little tab on the outside brake pad for removing it can start to hit the adapter.

Attachments

• images (16).jpeg
    images (16).jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 178
Voltron said:
If you visualize it installed on a fork, the tall end is at the bottom of the fork, and the arrow points up.
It goes the same relative way in the back.
Sometimes Avids will ride high on the rotor because of the spacer washers they use.
But if you leave the washers out, sometimes the frame end of the mount isn't parallel to the rotor.
Also the little tab on the outside brake pad for removing it can start to hit the adapter.
Thank thee :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Back