Dirtsurfer electric build

Outstanding, Benj !! That looks like a lot of fun. Maybe consider a "Pelican case" for battery protection, they're really tough & come in all sizes.

I am so jealous right now reading your thread...I used to have one of those and wish I would have hung on to it. Have you heard of the Inline-Board? I may try making one.

After bending up my aluminium enclosure I decided that having my batteries and ESC underneath wasn't such a great idea. I thought the clearance would be fine, but the Dirtsurfer can tackle some pretty rough terrain....so I've moved it to the top using an Alien ABS enclosure.

ds_alien_box.JPG

The case is mounted using RC car body posts drilled through the deck. The pins let me get in to the enclosure pretty easily. I've put a 2mm layer of neoprene foam between the deck and the enclosure to help keep mud out, plus as a cushion for the electronics.

Just back from some top speed tests with different battery setups. Thought I would post the info for reference, including my own personal rating by smilie:

5S: 21.47 mph / 34.55 kph :)
6S: 24.36 mph / 39.20 kph :D
8S: 29.21 mph / 47.00 kph :p

For some reason my motor started cogging on the 8S at high speed. The trigger had more room and I think it should reach about 32mph. Not sure why the motor would cog at high speed, maybe there isn't as much torque at the higher rev's?

Coool! Vertical video syndrome :)))))))))
Your previous video is crazy too! :))))

thxs for sharing, nice to see your face ...almost looking like a modern flying superhero in the "selfy part" :twisted:
does it roll as good as that in more bumpy grounds ?

Yeah sorry for the vertical video - I won't do it again I promise :p

It does roll smoothly over bumpy terrain but I like to put the binding straps on for that. Your feet can get shaken out of position quite easily without them. The big BMX wheels are much better than normal MTB wheels as you'd expect. I'll get some video riding some dirt trails soon :)

Really fantastic build. I just got a 16" GP and I would love to replicate your design. RC motor, speed controller. What kind of RC transmitter are you using? Does the calf braking system still work out well? Are you still happy with the 4:1 gear reduction? Any advice? Thanks for sharing your build with us. Awesome job.

Hey Vap.

I use a standard 2.4ghz RC pistol transmitter and standard receiver on this build. I did also rock it with a Wii Nunchuck and Wiiceiver for a while - but that lacked the accurate throttle response that this beast needs!

I am happy with the 4:1 ratio but the single 63mm motor does struggle a bit - on a really hot day I did melt the windings on one motor- but it was like 35 degrees C, and I think some cut grass got stuck inside and kinda caught fire!!

It depends on what riding you want to do. This setup is perfect for a cruise round flat and medium hills. It won't climb steep stuff.

If you wanted more speed, 4:1 with 10S or 12S. If you want to climb hills, change the gearing but you'll lose top end speed.

The calf brake still works fine and it's brilliant :)

My only other advice:
- It's kinda hard to push off on flat ground. Much easier to start if you have a small hill or even just a dip to roll out of.
- The turning circle is pretty wide. You won't be thrashing tight trails with this thing!

But it is the smoothest and most snowboard powder like ride I've had yet on an eBoard :D

Good luck with your build!

Hello boyz! =)

I've got some old second-hand original Dirtsurfer FS with 16" 36h wheels and thermofiber deck, fully disassembled, renovated and painted:

cKPDIXwRCtM.jpg

kZ2ZMh2EYT0.jpg

Also upgraded with Hayes MX-1 HD dowhill brake with 180 mm rotor:

e3A-DKoKknk.jpg

And moved braking lever to rhe aluminium tube with grip:

WXBEPcEi-vY.jpg

Now I'm waiting for Wuxing 108X throttle and Xofo 350W motor from China for electrificantion. And I have Li-Ion 48V 11Ah battery that planned to mount between foots. So curb weight should be 12 kg, that's about weight of 8" shitty chinese e-scooter.

What do you thinking about?

P.S. Sorry for my english, I had lack of practice fot a long time.

Back