DIY Ergonomic e-bike thumb throttle switch

avandalen

100 W
To control the motor power of my solar bike as easy as possible, I have developed an ergonomic e-bike thumb throttle switch. It needs just a small thumb movement.

Ergonomic-space-saving-ebike-thumb-throttle-fill-400x301.jpg

See the article here:
https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/mechanical-issues/diy-ergonomic-space-saving-e-bike-thumb-throttle-switch

Todo
The thumb throttle switch can be further improved, the height and length can be made smaller to reduce the required movement of the thumb. Who can do this for me?

avandalen said:
To control the motor power of my solar bike as easy as possible, I have developed an ergonomic e-bike thumb throttle switch. It needs just a small thumb movement.

Ergonomic-space-saving-ebike-thumb-throttle-fill-400x301.jpg

See the article here:
https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/mechanical-issues/diy-ergonomic-space-saving-e-bike-thumb-throttle-switch

Todo
The thumb throttle switch can be further improved, the height and length can be made smaller to reduce the required movement of the thumb. Who can do this for me?

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: Thank you for this post. I had an epiphany while reading the article, and has my mind thinking about several possibilities. It's really great that someone is looking at the ergonomic aspects of DIY ebikes. The limited control options leave a lot to be desired, and the handlebar space is the biggest factor, since the components mounted on them are separate, instead of integrated, which would maximize the use of that space. Your fingers and thumbs can only stretch so far without moving your hands from the grips, where they belong.

The throttle is very cool, and I can see it working well with certain setups. Nice neat design. But the sharing of the brake lever real estate suddenly opened up a new dimension, and it's such a simple concept. I need to re-do the controls on my bike, and it's all about ergonomics, and now have many ideas bouncing around in my head. I may need to finally get a 3D printer, but I have some ideas on just repurposing some parts, with minor fabrication, at least to test the concepts.

avandalen said:

Todo
Dude, that thing looks great! Does it just rock "up" and "down", or does it slide more?

As for your request... I'd poke at makerspaces and 3D printer groups, like Zack Freedmans' youtube channel's discord group first.

Back