• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Do I have pretty much everthing I need?

Iron Yeti

100 W
My bike is going to be here on Monday. I am bound and determined to learn how to build and maintain a bicycle so I decided to invest in some tools. From reading around online this is what I gathered for tools that I will need.

-15&19MM Cone Wrench: $14.15
-Alan Key set # 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 10 mm 1/4 -7/32 - 3/16": $9.50
-Phillips head screwdriver: $2.49
-Flathead screwdriver: $3.18
-32/36mm headset wrench: $16.95
-Triple Spoke Wrench: $7.29
-Adjustable wrench x2: $20.44
-9/11mm wrench: $4.74
-8/10mm wrench: $4.74
-Tire Lever: $2.49
-Lube: $4.23
-Patch Kit: $3.18
--------------------------
$93.38

Here is a full list of recommended tools. I only picked the ones I thought absolutely essential for now.
PW-3 Pedal Wrench 15mm and 9/16
CWP-6 Crank Wrench and Puller
HCW-15 Head and Crankset wrench 32-26mm
CT-3 Screw Type Chain Tool
SCW-SET Shop Cone Wrench 13mm to 19mm (or save by buying only two, usually 15&19)
CCW-14R Cotterless Crank Wrench
SR-1 Chainwhip/Freewheel & Lockring Remover
BBT-2 Bottom Bracket tool (or adequate model to your BB)
CN-10 Cable and Housing Cutter
SW spoke wrench (check dimension you need)
BT-5 third hand.
A pair of adjustable wrenches
8 to 11mm wrenches
Flat & philips screwdrivers
Set of hex wrenches

Anything missing?

I think you've got everything you need for the bike itself. 'Cept I prefer kit screwdrivers, the kind with a bunch of interchangeable heads.

Now, what you got in the way of electronics equipment? Solder and an iron/holder is of course a must. I use a 15W most the time, but a 25W iron is good for some of the stuff with more solder on it. Variable temp irons are expensive, but great. Some desoldering braid is useful. I use a small butane torch for PowerPole contacts; I have problems with crimping them, though it's probably just me. Heat shrink is good to have in various sizes. Most places will have a box of pre-cut strips in different diameters. Get one of those. Wire cutters/strippers if for some strange reason you don't have some. Radio Shack sells a mechanical one that I like a lot. And of course a hot glue gun is indispensable. :D

Oh, and one more thing: Get a set of jeweler's pliers. The one that looks like a pair of cones (used for looping wire, I think) is sorta useless, but I can't tell you how handy these are.

Pic of a few of part of my screwdriver set, my torch, and two of the jeweler's pliers:

DSCN0030.jpg

I really don't need any electronic equipment, yet. As I am going with everything ready to go for my first bike.

Iron Yeti said:
I really don't need any electronic equipment, yet. As I am going with everything ready to go for my first bike.

You might not want to dive in with a soldering iron but a multi meter will prove most handy when your ready-to-go bike doesn't go.

I've got one kicking around and a few soldering irons I seldom use. The collection of bicycle tools I've had for years is added to from time to time.
The latest and handiest recent addition has been a blind mans digital caliper. I'll probably be getting a blind mans digital multi meter somewhere down the line.

My motor is still in the box, my controller is coming airborne sometime this month and I don't think my batteries are even on the boat yet.

For Link, my gripe with multi-bit screwdrivers is that you can't whack on 'em with a hammer when that's what's required.
My favourite multi-bit is an impact driver left over from my motorcycle days. It works good with steel having a low cheese content.

A chain breaker, freewheel remover and crank puller are indispensable when working on bikes that are actually pedalled. So is a variety of brushes for keeping things clean. Don't forget a vise.

Iron Yeti said:

This won't work on your Crystalyte hub spokes. I had a hard time finding one to fit the beefy non-standard spoke nipples. Finally, I had to order one from my LBS.

JeffD said:
Iron Yeti said:

This won't work on your Crystalyte hub spokes. I had a hard time finding one to fit the beefy non-standard spoke nipples. Finally, I had to order one from my LBS.

I found this really cheap one from, like, I think it was a dollar store. It's just this sort of ring that has slots for 15 gauge spokes down to 10ga spokes. Might have been Wal-Mart. Or maybe Target. I can't remember, but, my point is, keep an eye out for them.

Link said:
JeffD said:
Iron Yeti said:

I found this really cheap one from, like, I think it was a dollar store. It's just this sort of ring that has slots for 15 gauge spokes down to 10ga spokes. Might have been Wal-Mart. Or maybe Target. I can't remember, but, my point is, keep an eye out for them.

My local community bike shop and the cheap Chinese bike shop has them under the Asama label which might be different in the US of A.

Link said:
I found this really cheap one...sort of ring that has slots for 15 gauge spokes down to 10ga spokes...
Yes - that sounds like the one I have! It is certainly not the highest quality but it sure beats the tiny adjustable wrench I was using before. Actually, once you get your wheels trued professionally they should stay that way for months and months. It was well worth the $11 they charged me. YMMV.

Back