• yes

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • no

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the-scientific-method.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]MeSSwKffj9o[/youtube]

I vote for George Carlin to be the new "god".
He speaks the truth.
It's a pity that resurrection is bullsh-t. If it could be done, he'd be the first on my list.

But his memory lives on...

Link said:
Yeah, the defeat thing is kinda inevitable once and a while and the last one is basically the same as the first, so you could really just cut off the second two and the remaining would be my entire belief system in a nutshell. I can't think of anybody I personally dislike and don't know of anyone who personally dislikes me, so it seems to work pretty well. :p

I dislike Fred Phelps.

fred_phelps_preaching_8-4-2002.jpg

Westboro Baptist Church web site

Some people and their Gods just dont get it do they...
:evil:

Lets all agree Fred is a fag! :lol:

for a very interesting look at world religion and mythology, you guys should watch "The power of myth" interview series with Joseph Campbell. It's on the Netflix. http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Joseph...539136445_0_0&strackid=185bf6ada21bce58_0_srl

I am not very religious, but it doesn't mean I'm not spiritual, nor does it mean that I can't appreciate your religion. Just don't criticize my lack of it and I won't criticize your excess of it--it's called Free Will.

We have the ability and right to choose, but not the right to cram it down anyone else's throat.

PS The topic question itself is too limiting, because it only refers to one god, not the possibility of multiple gods, which can be common in other religions of the world.

if there's one thing I know for sure, it's that I don't know.

who's going to start the "do you believe in reincarnation?" thread? another interesting topic :)

I believe in God.

I do not believe in false scientific studies.

Poll has ended though.

Life did not start by chance.

JinbaIttai said:
I believe in God. [...] Life did not start by chance.
I do not know how those presents materialized under the Christmas tree. They did not get there by chance. Therefore, Santa Claus must have put them there. Sure, Santa is the only possible explanation for my ignorance about how those presents arrived -- NOT!

Not knowing how life began does not prove God exists. Not knowing something is ignorance, not knowledge. Science is ignorant about how life started, and that ignorance does not provide any knowledge about or support for God.

Saying "Life did not start by chance" implies that evolutionary science makes claims that life started by chance. Evolution science says no such thing. Saying so is an irrational strawman argument (a strawman is misstating what is said to provide an easy target to shoot down, and proves nothing).

-- Alan

One time around the break room table myself and a couple of co-workers were discussing religion and the existence of God. I compared the belief in God to that of children believing in Santa Claus and that one day the world would grow up and face the facts. Later I learned that a guy at a nearby table was so upset by my comments he was ready to do me bodily harm. That’s ironic since me, a “heathen”, would never think of hurting someone simply because they believed in a Supreme Being.

IMO the universe is a big crap shoot only instead of two dice to throw the universe is playing with billions and billions of stars with countless worlds and innumerable possible variables. Every now and then in this cosmic game of chance the universe rolls the equivalent of a billion dice all coming up 6 at the same time and life evolves to our level or beyond and that life ponders their existence in the vastness of time and space. Why are we here, on this world, at this time? I’d say it was pure luck.

-R

that cartoon has it right, that the scientific method only works by a chain of evidence pulling u to a very real endpoint.
by pushing a chain otoh which is how religion works u can go wherever u want with it.
all those examples illustrating that just cuz religion is full of holes therefore god must not exist are likewise pushing to the wrong conclusion.
along with those religious zealots who are prepared to beat or blow u up, it really only proves that religion has nothing to do with god.
religion is nothing more than a book club.

alan said:
Not knowing how life began does not prove God exists.

i take it then u must accept the corollary to that to be true as well.
in fact the more you know & the deeper science digs into the fundamental operation of this universe, it becomes ever clearer & more impossible to deny.
the sheer precision of the mechanics is such that ur drawn to the inescapable conclusion that there's no way chance could account for.

to put some perspective on it, at any time have u ever heard of the earth completely at random & by pure luck spit out a brand new Buick Skylark replete with that fresh car smell?
all the elements are there which only came from the earth, how likely is that *ever* gonna happen?
then look at which is the more complex, a car or a living being & it becomes quite improbable.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
i take it then u must accept the corollary to that too.
in fact the more you know & the deeper science digs into the fundamental operation of this universe, it becomes ever clearer & more impossible to deny.
the sheer precision of the mechanics is such that ur drawn to the inescapable conclusion that there's no way chance could account for.
to put some perspective on it, at any time have u ever heard of the earth completely at random & by pure luck spit out a brand new Buick Skylark replete with that fresh car smell?
all the elements are there which only came from the earth, how likely is that *ever* gonna happen?
yet that's exactly what u claim should be happening, over & over & over.
which is more complex a car or a living being?

Did you see all the attempts "life" took a shot at ?
"The Burgess Shale is a fossil deposit of importance equal to that of the Rift Valley sites of East Africa in that it provides truly pivotal evidence for the story of' life on earth. The shale comes from a small quarry in the Canadian Rockies discovered in the early 20th century by Charles Walcott, then a leading figure at the Smithsonian. The Burgess fossils come from the Middle Cambrian Period, around 350 million years ago. They form one of the earliest assemblages of soft-bodied creatures."
Some made it in the evolution and some didn't.

the sheer precision of the mechanics

Your *****(lack) of reality is showing. the universe is fractaly chaotic. Nothing precise about it.

Word of warning to those who wish to engage in a logical discussion with the Goddites. They are not interested in the evidence they just want to spout their opinion over and over until they drown you out.

in 350 million years, no Buick Skylark fossils, which is simpler to create than life & had the same number of kicks at the cat.
the fact if everything were just chaotic & random the whole universe would only consist of grey goo.
but that's a good question, what level or type of evidence would it take to convince you something had to set the process in motion, in effect cause energy to flow uphill?
for me it's the fact that mitosis can only occur within a very narrow temp window.
it's like fine tuning a Dell'Ortto on a high strung Duc, a hair off & it don't work at all.

Can we re-open the poll? Its ended?

in 350 million years, no Buick Skylark fossils.

Did you make any attempt to find one ?
Where did you dig ?
Did you try looking in a car cemetery ?
If you're not looking for one, it's because you BELIEVE it exist not.
Let's say you're in doubt and do some searches.
Maybe you will find an older model and conclude that Buick evolved over time. ( logical )
AND then someday, you find evidences that it was made by men.
You show these evidences to people, photos of car assembly lines etc.
Some of them will be shocked but will admit these facts.
Some will deny and deny and deny, even when you show them videos of workers assembling one.

Nobody can prove that god does not exist.
And funny thing: You cannot prove to me that there are no Buick Skylark fossils. :p

dunno, sounds to me like ur in agreement.
that this universe has been pieced together & set in motion by a guiding force or intelligence.
that much has to be conceded & if not then, well, as i've said u would also have to believe that a buick can assemble itself.

now if u wanna slap a label of god on that intelligence or is it simply a more advanced life form then i'm with mud2005 & thought from the start of the poll that there should have been a third agnostic option.
god is a relative term, there are multiple levels in the god food-chain.

alan said:
Not knowing how life began does not prove God exists.
i take it then u must accept the corollary to that to be true as well.
I would need to know what corollary you are referring to before I could answer your question.

Which if these facts do you agree or disagree with?

1. Evolution science does not describe how life started. It describes how lifeforms change over time.

2. Not knowing how life began means one does not know how life began. It does not mean God had to start life. It does not mean some kind of intelligence had to start it. It does not mean life had to start by chance. It does not mean life has to be random. It means one is ignorant about how life started.

-- Alan

God exists. Every myth has its bases. Dragons dinosaurs, vampires "infected people bitten by rabid vampire bats. Just might be different to what we know. Things get blown way out of proportion. I wouldn’t believe in a god most disbelievers conceptualise as god and I agree with their disbelief.

Science and the universe is my god, and at no time i close my mind to it and think for a moment i am always right. being wrong is the precise moment you learn something and this is a lesson from god.

The endless possibilities that lie under every unturned stone converts boredom interesting. Reality is common amongst us all and we share so much that is fiction. Yet we strive to be individuals with every waking moment, till so many adhere to the dogmatic sutra "I am different"..

it wouldnt be such a long stretch of the imagination if god was more in our world than out of this world.

Bottom line is, when you die, you're going to find out if God existed. Thats a fact. Lots of people scream when they die. Some people have near death experiences where they died, then brought back; like drownings, heart attacks, car accidents, stuff like that. Heart surgeons have seen it. When brought back to life, they claim of being in hell or heaven. Some claim walking around in transparent form as a spirit. Others claim being locked up and being eaten by demons. Its going to be one "hell" of a ride for some people. I'm going to be sitting in paradise. Hopefully their won't be any computers there or other man made trash. :lol:

Bottom line is, when you die, you're going to find out if God existed. Thats a fact.

is it? don't be so sure. maybe when we die we go somewhere else to learn more. noone knows.

dunno, sounds to me like ur in agreement.
that this universe has been pieced together & set in motion by a guiding force or intelligence.
that much has to be conceded & if not then, well, as i've said u would also have to believe that a buick can assemble itself.
Why do you need a god to be at the origin ?
As far as I'm concerned the universe has always been and will always be ?
If god existed, he would surely be perfection.
From perfection, you can only expect perfection, nothing less.
The universe is far from perfect, therefore it's not the creation of god.
My conclusion:
Man is not perfect and created god to his own image.

Some people have near death experiences where they died, then brought back;......When brought back to life, they claim of being in hell or heaven. Some claim walking around in transparent form as a spirit. Others claim being locked up and being eaten by demons.
And what about the 95% others that never had experience of hell or heaven or spirit ?
They were clinically dead, not brain dead. Dreams and nightmares maybe ?
You're really dead when your brain is dead.

"Irreversibility is often cited as a key criterion of death. By definition, a dead organism cannot be brought back to life; if it were to be, that would indicate that it had never been dead. Biochemically, it is unrealistic to think that death could be reversed. As soon as tissues die, autolysis sets in and enzymes begin to destroy the cells." No comeback from there.

Takemehome said:
If god existed, he would surely be perfection.
From perfection, you can only expect perfection, nothing less.
The universe is far from perfect, therefore it's not the creation of god.
My conclusion:
Man is not perfect and created god to his own image.
If there is a God, he certainly enjoys violence....

Back