Does it piss you off....

.....that the general public is so freaking ignorant when it comes to electric vehicles?

I've spent part of the day reading online news articles about the Tesla Model X. Often times, I can't help but read the comments, and invariably, they piss me off.

The closest thing the Model X compares to is the Porsche Cayenne, and it smokes it in every category, but you get people whining about how expensive it is. IT DOES 0-60 in 4.5 seconds #@%$#@@! $55,000 is probably how much the freaking battery costs!

Then they are bitching about the range: 200-250 miles per charge. Wtf?

Ok I'm done, I feel better. Thanks.

I know how ya feel.
People are so ignorant to new things, even when specs and science behind it all show the improvement/benefit.

They don't see the value in it, even though it is comparable to a luxury car. You won't hear them comparing the Model S to a BMW 5 or 7 series, even though the Model S comes in at a lower price, is faster, and has just as much of a fancy interior/exterior etc.

The ignorance scares and upsets me enough. The cynical petrol politicians and their Fox Newsertainment pundit cronies that feed off of and fan the flames of this ignorance are what literally turn my stomach.

Exhibit B: That abortion of draft legislation the House is pushing as a Transportation bill. It threatens anything on two feet, two wheels, or that does not drink copiously from the spigots of gas pumps. Write your Representative asking them to stop the madness!
http://capwiz.com/lab/issues/alert/?alertid=60975341&PROCESS=Take+Action

Speaking of the American Energy and Infrastructure Jobs Act of 2012, if you have a minute, please follow the link below to e-mail your representative and insist they not support the American Energy and Infrastructure Jobs Act of 2012, in it's current form.

Where I live we are just now getting cycling/ped infrastructure that makes sense, and I would like it to continue.

http://support.railstotrails.org/Save_Trails

To be honest when I first got into e-bikes, if I knew the real cost of it I would've been very shocked. You look at motors online and add the cost of a controller and think that's it. Of course the devil really is in the detail for this hobby and the only way to realize it is to do it yourself.

The same goes for electric cars of course.

People nearly fall over when I tell them how much I payed for my setup.

You see in their mind it's just a bicycle.

scotticeberg said:
$55,000 is probably how much the freaking battery costs!

Valdes-Dapena now tells us the price will top out at a cool $100,000 — just like the sedan's pricing.
http://jalopnik.com/5884111/tesla-model-x-price-tops-out-at-100000

gotta go check out their showroom in $antana row ...

[youtube]5Kftm1_sVyc[/youtube]

sk8norcal said:
scotticeberg said:
$55,000 is probably how much the freaking battery costs!

Valdes-Dapena now tells us the price will top out at a cool $100,000 — just like the sedan's pricing.
http://jalopnik.com/5884111/tesla-model-x-price-tops-out-at-100000

The intellectually-challenged are such a charmless, ignorant lot. Probably the same bunch that are online complaining about the cost of projects like CERN blissfully unaware of the irony.

Wonderful car though and a great marketing strategy to boot. All they have to do is deliver on their promises and they will eventually take a huge chunk of the global car market.

When they make the $30,000 car in four or five years time the entire world will take note. They have the potential to do something very unique in the car industry - have a large market share in both the entry-level and luxury level markets.

It doesn't piss me off, It just makes me sad. Pathetic sheep can't recognise a good idea when it's handed to them.

I've owned many gas cars that didn't have 200 mile range per tank. 7 or 8 MGs, a triumph, a Miata, 2 jeeps, and an old ford truck, all with sub 10 gallon tanks and 150-200 miles range.

IMHO, Tesla should remain an exclusive brand. It gives class to the Idea of Electric transportation. Making it affordable would ruin the mystique of Luxury Electric Transportation. Its human nature. We need there to be things we want but can't have. It makes the thing or other substitutes seem more important. Let ford build the first affordable and practicle electric car for the masses. Or Chevy. Or Toyota. Leave Tesla to the stuff of dreams.

Drunkskunk said:
IMHO, Tesla should remain an exclusive brand. It gives class to the Idea of Electric transportation. Making it affordable would ruin the mystique of Luxury Electric Transportation. Its human nature. We need there to be things we want but can't have. It makes the thing or other substitutes seem more important. Let ford build the first affordable and practicle electric car for the masses. Or Chevy. Or Toyota. Leave Tesla to the stuff of dreams.

Why just make a slice of cake when you can cake make all of the cake? Especially when it will be a much better cake than what the others can make.

If your goal is to change the world - then you need to reach all of the market.

150-200 mile range out of a tank really is kinda ridiculous to me. I suppose its 'unusual' that my family sedan gets 400-450 miles to a tank, but its definitely nice that I fill it infrequently. I have a few friends that complain about how often they need to fill the tank, more so than the poor MPG the vehicle is achieving.

Thats really about the only thing I would miss going to an electric vehicle. It would need to be plugged in every few days. It's not hard, or really an issue, but it would be 'nice' to just be able to plug it in once a month or so. It makes you think a lot less about where the energy is coming from, since its not often you need to add some more. Daily plugins, with something like the Chevy Volt, makes the electric platform feel limited. You're always managing the charge.

That said, I didn't even put gas in my car yet this year, so I guess if I keep on this path I can get away with plugging in a 200-300 mile range car once a month. :D

Someone on autoblog green termed 'range extender anxiety' ... which is when you run out of your small electric range and realize that you are gonna start burning gas very soon.. hehe

definitely,
Tesla should not be swollowed by big name and become yet another division of big name
Yes, I think they are on right track of introducing ecar to mass customer

I get anoyed at the gas bike sites when the only argument they use is "your batteries are hazardous waste & you charge from dirty coal" So my 4 stroke 99cc bike motors is greener than your e-bike.

like the motor consumes more energy in manufacturing? Do they burn more coal for e-vehicle charging than they would normaly to supply the grid? & the infrastructure about a gas station on every corner.....its true, but that gasoline doesn't just magicly apeare in the tanks....it gets manufactured & stored & transported & delivered in vehicles that are lucky to see 40% efficencys burining the fuel they are defending.

There are a couple (maybe 4 total) clowns that are allways looking for a fight....& not one of them belive you can make 100 miles on an e-bike on a single charge. & the rumer is you can't build an e-bike for less than 4k bucks.....

I need some really good links & data to shut the dumb ass's up..(which prolly is folly on my part....as you can't teach a close minded fool anything)

Any articulate way to offer an olive branch to the cave men who are in denial of the inevitable?
Whooping their ass's on the race track doesn't seem to register with them. :lol:

Thud, You are way too intelligent to beat yourself up, dropping to their level of thinking. :twisted:

Just keep on building motors and such, and beat them that way. 8) 8)

Back