E-Bike upgrade

Keith52

1 µW
I have a bike with a Cytronex conversion kit (250 watt geared front hub motor, 3-pin connector).

The kit works well enough but the range is limited to maybe 25 miles. I'd like to extend the range closer to 50 miles. Otherwise I'm happy with the performance.

Ideally I would like to keep the motor and replace the controller/battery/display to extend the range of the bike. I like the silver hub motor because it matches the look of the bike. Ideally I would like to put the battery and controller in a bag on the front rack so that it's not obviously an E-bike.

The 3-pin connector seems odd because I think most hub motors use a different connector.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200905_094423.jpg
    MVIMG_20200905_094423.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 11
If you are happy with the performance, and only want range increase, I would just get a bigger battery. One with the same voltage, just a higher capacity. Then you won’t have to fiddle with a new display and setting it up the way the existing display is set. Also won’t have to figure out what controller to get.

Not a great picture but it's just three identical prongs on the male end and three holes on the female end.

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_125548065.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230924_125548065.MP.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230925_192929148.jpg
    PXL_20230925_192929148.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
If you are happy with the performance, and only want range increase, I would just get a bigger battery. One with the same voltage, just a higher capacity. Then you won’t have to fiddle with a new display and setting it up the way the existing display is set. Also won’t have to figure out what controller to get.
The Cytronex kit has the battery and controller all in one unit. There is no display to speak of. Just a single LED that changes color to show battery level. I could purchase an extra battery from them, which may be an option, but I was curious if there are possibly better options.

With just the 3 wires indeed its a sensor less hub motor Just ensure the controller you buy is 'DUEL MODE' which is controller speak for will work with or without hall effect sensor input. like this one for illustration (NOT A RECOMMENDATION) LINKY

Sounds like you will need to open your battery holder/controller, and re route the battery connections to the new controller, and also buy a suitable controller box or bag to keep it and the wire bundle hid.

Probably a good idea to get a controller that can just plug into the sensors pas, brake, and throttle connections you already use, these are generally one of 2 type the 'waterproof' julet plug and sockets or more standard jst style higo plugs and sockets, so look for a controller that can easily use your existing sensors

for more oomph i would suggest looking at 36v/48v dual voltage controllers, then if you invest in a 48v battery you can carry more power and extend your range but also supply more amps to a bigger perhaps 17 or 22a (peak power) controller

Back