E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

actionobject said:
In regards to the HURRICANE,

Incompletely agree on the pedal Factor, Its a real game changer. For full disclosure, i own a Bomber and a Fighter. I am a dealer for Stealth

I do love the pure simplicity of the Hurricane and i think its interesting in that there is not a Motorcycle in its class. That weighs 105 lbs?

I would apply for a vin and put a light kit on it etc? Just curious if anyone has gotten to try one? Pretty hooked on the Fighter these days though!

Myself, even if I could legalize a Hurricane I wouldn't want one because I like being able to Pedal now. I recently sold my 107 lb moped that had 4 hp, because even though it had pedals they weren't really very functional with only about a 3 mph top pedal speed.

Yea, Its unchartered waters. Stealth has created a whole new category smack dab in between the two (Moto and Bike).

The more I ride it the more I see the potential for the different applications and possibilities of these things. Exciting time to be alive!

actionobject said:
Yea, Its unchartered waters. Stealth has created a whole new category smack dab in between the two (Moto and Bike).

The more I ride it the more I see the potential for the different applications and possibilities of these things. Exciting time to be alive!

I totally agree, a whole new animal. That's the way it gets treated too. The bicyclers don't like it, and the motorcycle riders look at it with suspicion. Normal eBikes typically are haters more times than not.The exception I've found is Harley riders seem to be able to appreciate it better than most other riders. I think they have a better eye for greatness.

00Tj said:
one of the reasons was he needed to sell it because he had a chase with the cops on it and they knew the bike..!
Interesting! Do you have any more info on this ? PM me if you want, but I"m very curious to know. Both Sigmacom and I live in this area and regularly ride around where this bloke would have been chased so any police heat might pass on to us. Especially Sigmacom as he owns a black bomber too (and I'll soon have a black raptor on the road which will look the same to the casual observer)
I've never had any issues with the police, no doubt due to the fact that I don't ride in such a fashion as to draw attention when in public, but it'd be interesting to know what this guy was doing to warrant a chase. Given you said he largely rode it to the pub I'm guessing they saw him come out, assumed his was drunk and then zoomed off on the thing (+/- lights and a helmet)

As for the hurricane, I personally don't see them as having much utility. For something that is blatantly a motorcycle and there's no 2 ways about it, they're an expensive way to do it. We all love stealths but for that sort of money you're very close to zero territory and you'd be mad to buy the hurricane when for a few bucks more the zero fx has twice the battery and more than 6x the power.
Obviously I have a much more DIY focus (as does the ES member base in general) vs the standard turnkey stealth buyer but if I wanted an e-moto I'd be much more inclined to convert an existing dirt bike. It's annoying but you can build a turn key electric dirt bike for much less time, effort and expense than an equivalent stealth type bike!

actionobject said:
I would apply for a vin and put a light kit on it etc?
I've looked into this fairly heavily and it's not worth the effort unless you spend LOTS of money. Like $15,000 for testing and certification kinda lots. Even if you use an off the shelf approved light you still have to get it independently tested (which is what some of the above figure covers). When I queried this they said it's because Honda or Ducati or whoevers light you decide to use owns the rights to that testing and it passing certification so you can't use their data/tick of approval. It's much easier to start with an existing approved motorcycle and then modify it as a base. This is what I'm currently in the process of doing now for my first road registered e-moto. It then becomes a matter of how much you can get away with changing and how set you are on the stealth (or what ever) appearance. If you want something that goes and rides like a bomber that's pretty easy. If you want something that looks the same it's alot harder. If you can convince your engineer to sign off as using the stealth frame (or what ever frame) as "frame modifications" or a custom frame (probably after stress testing and weld xraying etc) you're largely done. You're basically then you're just bolting the front end and rear brakes from an existing moto onto an ebike body.

Hyena said:
00Tj said:
one of the reasons was he needed to sell it because he had a chase with the cops on it and they knew the bike..!
Interesting! Do you have any more info on this ? PM me if you want, but I"m very curious to know. Both Sigmacom and I live in this area and regularly ride around where this bloke would have been chased so any police heat might pass on to us. Especially Sigmacom as he owns a black bomber too (and I'll soon have a black raptor on the road which will look the same to the casual observer)
I've never had any issues with the police, no doubt due to the fact that I don't ride in such a fashion as to draw attention when in public, but it'd be interesting to know what this guy was doing to warrant a chase. Given you said he largely rode it to the pub I'm guessing they saw him come out, assumed his was drunk and then zoomed off on the thing (+/- lights and a helmet)

I am not 100% sure on the details but it supposedly was because he had already lost his licence for drink driving, the Sutherland cops knew him and he was leaving the pub "slightly" faster than usual.

I assume the main reason was because, as I said, they knew him and I think he was targeted.

This is my take on the Hurricane, its an offroad e motorcycle. Cant pedal it. so you are limited. As Hyena said, you could go through the process of getting street legal, but adding pedals negates all the hassle of registering a special construction, at the price of having to keep power at 750wh, or, as many of are doing here in the US, just ghost pedaling and riding slow around the cops. I say keep building high powered stuff that can be pedaled :twisted: , and keep the speed down in congested areas and around the fuzz, and rock on.

Rix said:
This is my take on the Hurricane, its an offroad e motorcycle. Cant pedal it. so you are limited. As Hyena said, you could go through the process of getting street legal, but adding pedals negates all the hassle of registering a special construction, at the price of having to keep power at 750wh, or, as many of are doing here in the US, just ghost pedaling and riding slow around the cops. I say keep building high powered stuff that can be pedaled :twisted: , and keep the speed down in congested areas and around the fuzz, and rock on.

I'm really pedaling, really. No one believes me when I say that. My son makes fun of me. :(

00Tj said:
I am not 100% sure on the details but it supposedly was because he had already lost his licence for drink driving, the Sutherland cops knew him and he was leaving the pub "slightly" faster than usual.
Both you and the ebike community win then. We don't need guys like that bringing negative attention to ebikes.
I'm surprised he sprung 10k for a bomber, that demographic usually go for the $200 stink bike conversion kits...

Theodore Voltaire said:
I'm really pedaling, really. No one believes me when I say that. My son makes fun of me. :(
When I built my first raptor I was keen to ride it before the crankset had arrived to took ghost pedalling to the next level by pretending to pedal without even any cranks. Have you ever tried that shit ? It's harder work than real pedalling! lol:

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
I'm really pedaling, really. No one believes me when I say that. My son makes fun of me. :

I believe you TV. With streamers like that who could not believe. :D

Hyena said:
Both you and the ebike community win then. We don't need guys like that bringing negative attention to ebikes.
I'm surprised he sprung 10k for a bomber, that demographic usually go for the $200 stink bike conversion kits...

Indeed.

Yes you are right about the $200 Bogan bikes.. I see alot of them around here.
I live in what would be called the "Castle hill/hills" area of Adelaide but I almost border on a "Mt druitt" type area so there are plenty of Bogans around here! The only way any of them would get a bomber would be with a crow bar and bolt cutters!

00Tj Wrote;
Still waiting! Bugger. You should come up here for a ride when you get it. There are some great trails up near One Tree Hill.

Umm Bogan.. Hmm.. Like an Aussie version of a redneck? Is that a decent description? Lol[/quote]

When I learn to ride it right I do plan to hit the hills so I may look you up. Lots of great runs to choose from and with little rainfall per annum this is definitely STEALTH COUNTRY.

Rix said:
I totally agree with that. It took me all of about 30 seconds to rule out the Hurricane.

I'm always looking for other people doing anything in the bush, and I slow down a lot when I meet some. It also means slowing down on blind corners, but I should be doing that for my own good anyway.

I've often thought about getting some shorter cranks. If some exist out there to fit my Fighter. Like some 155s, for better riding ergos and off road ground clearance under motor power. Also less chance of bending them when I have a crash. Maybe, one day.

Emmett said:
Rix said:
I totally agree with that. It took me all of about 30 seconds to rule out the Hurricane.

I'm always looking for other people doing anything in the bush, and I slow down a lot when I meet some. It also means slowing down on blind corners, but I should be doing that for my own good anyway.

I've often thought about getting some shorter cranks. If some exist out there to fit my Fighter. Like some 155s, for better riding ergos and off road ground clearance under motor power. Also less chance of bending them when I have a crash. Maybe, one day.

Yah, you can get cranks arms clear down to 127mm for the schlumpf at cyclemonkey http://cyclemonkey.bigcartel.com/product/schlumpf-crank-arms. This is where I got my 160mm from. If I did it again, I would go with 155mm or even 145mm.

[quoteWhen I built my first raptor I was keen to ride it before the crankset had arrived to took ghost pedalling to the next level by pretending to pedal without even any cranks. Have you ever tried that shit ? It's harder work than real pedalling! lol:]
[/quote]

Make a fuqn video of that, I could use a good laugh :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• Crank_Arms.jpg
    Crank_Arms.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,002
Rix, or others, what is the drop out with on the Fighters?
Uhm, thinking of maybe ordering a Fighter, green! But not sure yet. I want Stealth to make a mid drive.
In this case I will upgrade the hell out of it :D

Allex said:
Rix, or others, what is the drop out with on the Fighters?
Uhm, thinking of maybe ordering a Fighter, green! But not sure yet. I want Stealth to make a mid drive.
In this case I will upgrade the hell out of it :D

Its 162mm wide. I was able to mount my 5403 that originally came on my Bomber a while back. Slid right in and I knew that axle was 162mnm face to face.

actionobject said:
RiX thx for the link! its good to have options.

Do you feel much less power pedaling ?

I noticed a little loss from mechanical advantage, but not much. I can still pedal it in low gear under human power only easily. I still is a huge assist asset on hill climbs. I really like it but, like I said I would go with 155 or even 145mm if I did it again.

Hugechainring said:
New diversion...
I picked up a Bomber from another ES member a few weeks ago. Fun bike. Needs a few repairs, though. The previous owner mentioned the rear 6 piston Gator Brake was "dragging" and when I got around to taking it apart, I realized it had slid forward in the swingarm bracket, causing the pads to be grossly misaligned. I also discovered the 7mm neodymium magnets were now attached to the pads, instead of being glued, I assume, into the pistons.

So, my question is, has anyone tried using the caliper without the magnets? I could replace them, but they are attracting all kinds of metallic debris, and I'm not sure it's a great idea.

I like the Gator brakes generally. The feel is like my MC, and the pads have a lot of surface area for a DH brake. They are easier to bleed than most. I ordered a few sets of replacement pads from Taiwan, so I'm sort of committed to them for a while. Now, though, the bike's down, and I'm short at least a set of pads and possibly a caliper.

Any owners out there have 6 piston parts laying around after an upgrade? I want to ride.
Should be fine without the magnets . I think they`re there to help align the pads when fitting , once the pins are in they don`t really do anything . Don't forget to use light weight mineral oil & not brake fluid when bleeding .

Rix said:
actionobject said:
RiX thx for the link! its good to have options.

Do you feel much less power pedaling ?

I noticed a little loss from mechanical advantage, but not much. I can still pedal it in low gear under human power only easily. I still is a huge assist asset on hill climbs. I really like it but, like I said I would go with 155 or even 145mm if I did it again.

Thanks Rix. Those cranks look great. I've always thought 155mm would be a good compromise between ground clearance and generally better ergos under motor power vs ability to do useful pedalling. Also a 15mm shorter crank would be less likely to bend when I go down in a low side crash.

Nice one actionobject, the frame looks just as wide on the fighter as on the bomber? Is this correct?
How do you like you forks? I wonder how they are in comparison to Fox/Zocchs. Is it worth to pay over 1k USD for them or not... I was pretty happy with my 888 but that squishy sound made me annoyed.

Allex, Those are actually Manitou Dorado forks I mounted afterwards. I have yet to try the MRP. I do know that they come with a custom spring that is made for the extra weight of the Stealths.

I do not think its quite as wide as the Bomber. I have one in one location and one in another so its hard to tell. The fighter is a lot smaller, or feels a lot smaller.
I am not sure it would fit people taller then 6' very well. I have yet to put much time on it as the weather her has been brutal. So far, it feels really well balanced. Almost as quick as the Bomber without the higher top speeds. I like the simplicity of the Schlumpf and have installed that on a custom build I am doing as well.

The Vboxx has always bothered me a little. My understanding is that its normal to feel the grinding and that the even gears will never be quite as smooth at the odd.

I can say that the black inverted forks make the bike look smaller and less noticeable, especially in all black it just kind of blends together and no component really screams for attention. With the Standard RST the gold forks and big crown stand out and catch your attention. so i think this is more effectively Stealth.

Thanks again for connecting me with Schwibsi, he is building me a couple of packs, one for a Kona Coiler / 24" Mxus / Adaptto / Schlumpf / build. and another that will effectively double the range of the Fighter and give it another 20% more power!!!!!

Yeah If I get the Fighter I will def. change to 18650cells for more range.
Black on black looks nice.
I never really use vboxx, I always have it on the 9th gear and pedal for show. Yes the cogging feel is annoying, so I never use those gears.

I just bought 80 cells for a new build for my Wife, will be a Bafang mid drive. It is really nice to have a very light bike that is capable of 50km/h, that is what her bike will getting to at 1300W. Perfect to zip around in town.
She takes my Bomber sometimes, but it is kinda scary to see the stats screen after her rides, where she pulls 10kW and does 90km/h on regular bike paths. So no more Bomber grin for her I need her alive :D

Yeah, we have built a few Bafang Mid drives. This is one of my favorites, They easily do 56kph.

the New Stealths have a slow start mode that attempts to minimize the danger.
of course i have yet to try it. . . its easy to switch over before handing the bike over to a noob so it will come in handy also easy to put back in Street mode.

Attachments

• DSC00728 copy.jpg
    DSC00728 copy.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 2,708
Back